Looking for a new dry cat food?

Raeohmar

Cat mamma to Blaze.
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! Blaze is a 5 (going on 6) year old tortie. She is about 11lbs and healthy. She has always had a very sensitive tummy (she randomly has had bright red blood on the end of her poops, she's been to vet multiple times and had tests done, and it does not appear to be anything serious, probably just pushing too hard/constipation), and she is currently on Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet-food and Taste of the Wild Grain Free dry food. As she is getting older, I want to make sure I am feeding her the best. Is Taste of the Wild a good dry food brand? I have been looking into Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin (she has had issues with dandruff in the past) with no corn, soy or wheat, but notice that the majority of their dry food has rice in it. Would this be bad for my furrbaby considering she's been on a grain free dry food for so long? I'm open to any and all suggestions! :)

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are a bit pricey compared to other brands, but I alternate between Wysong Epigen 90 and Orijen Regional Red, both are 90% animal protein and low in fillers. Taste of the Wild isn't bad if you are on a budget, but the first ingredient in most of their foods is processed "meal" and then after that it's legumes and veggies, which in my amateur opinion aren't ideal for carnivores. :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has constipation it's from the dry food. For a sensitive tummy the best way to find out if she's allergic to something is to buy a variety of canned limited ingredient. be sure to check the ingredients. Some say chicken but include fish

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I look for Meat bones and Organs. You can google all the foods you're interested in and check the ingredients.. Out of all the commercial foods I liked Tiki cat After dark series of foods. Well I am not sure if I liked or not but ingredient wise it seemed decent.. My advice is t Check forums Check everything. It shocked me a few weeks ago after getting my Kitten just how bad some cat foods seem to be.. Good luck in finding the food that is right for your Fury friend :)
I am just so happy we have the Internet and great info is out there, you asking for suggestions is the first step...
Hope you find a quality food your Fury friends deserves :)

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree on the Tiki Cat After Dark as that is my go-to wet food. People here love Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein, as well, both for wet and dry food.

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree on the Tiki Cat After Dark as that is my go-to wet food. People here love Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein, as well, both for wet and dry food.
Question if you don't mind. All the info I have gathered state Meat Organs and Bones are vital for cat health. Is there a Key word or words that mean Organs or bones in Dr. Elsey's food. I was originally gonna buy that but could not find those ingredients in their food. Or are there different Formulas that I neglected to see.. Thnaks

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat byproducts can include clean and nutrient-rich organ meats such as lungs, spleen, liver, kidneys, stomach, and intestines that are cleaned of their contents. They are not allowed to contain hide, hooves, horn, or teeth. Meat meal is further cooked (rendered) to kill any bacterial contaminants and then dried

Copied this
Stuff a cat in wild eats

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a semi feral that would eat a whole bird and leave the feathers. Now in my apt
20211004_190555.jpg
now afraid of the outdoors!

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question if you don't mind. All the info I have gathered state Meat Organs and Bones are vital for cat health. Is there a Key word or words that mean Organs or bones in Dr. Elsey's food. I was originally gonna buy that but could not find those ingredients in their food. Or are there different Formulas that I neglected to see.. Thnaks
Usually you will just see those words - I know that, for example, the Orijen Regional Red dry food has liver, tripe, kidney, and cartilage explicitly listed on the ingredients list. Likewise in the Tiki Cat After Dark wet food the top ingredients include liver, gizzard, and heart.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy orijen soft treats without bone. Chicken,turkey,hearts and gizzards. She licks her lips and purrs at the same time

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Royal Canin or Science Diet have sensitive stomach dry and canned