Looking For A Mate For Bootsy

catcool

coolcat
Kitten
Purraise
Bootsy is 4 years old and i want to find a mate for her she is a short hair calico cat and i have taken her for checkups she is all healthy i made sure. Is there a male cat around her age on here that needs a mate? And pleas NO DISCOURAGEMENT AGAINST THIS PLEASE! I will not change my mind. This is bootsy.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you want to breed her? When you say the vet said she is healthy does that at minimum include full bloodwork as well? She clearly isn't a purebred cat. Do you know the pain female cats experience when they are mated? The male cat's penis is barbed, so when he "pulls out" it tears her up and she screams. Is this something you want to put her through for no real reason? There are literally cats EVERYWHERE, there is a major overpopulation problem in the world. Why add to it? What if she needs an emergency c section costing thousands and loses the babies, or passes away herself and now you have a huge dilemma on your hands with newborn kittens and no mother cat. Are you prepared for this? If you are dying to experience cats and kittens there are rescue groups who would love to have people available to foster pregnant females.

Lastly, this is a very heavily pro neuter website so literally everyone here is going to discourage you breeding your domestic cat for no reason.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a bit advanced in years for a first pregnancy. Does your vet know what you have planned? There may be some precautions he'd prefer.

Are you willing to live with a tomcat? They often spray and have very strong-smelling urine. I think most people just let their cat outside if they want her to get pregnant, but of course there are risks (cars, dogs, exposure to FeLV, etc.).

Will you be keeping all the kittens?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking she may be a bit old for her first pregnancy too. I wasn't totally sure, but now that you said it W Willowy my instinct was likely correct.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not here to discourage you, I am here out if curiousity and to add insight.

Is there a reason you want her to have kittens?

Does she have a quality you love?

Are you just trying to take care if kittens? If so shleters have programs for this, and kitten season is rapidly approaching... thousands upon thousands will be killed because there are not enough fosters. You two could even care for the kittens together and have her help raise them (if she accepts them).

Are you aware by not having her spayed her chances of mammary cancer (I just lost a cat to mammary cancer) raises by 90%+?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please note this is a pro spay and neuter website. From the ForumRules:
"3. This is a pro-spay-and-neuter website. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old."

Most of our members have spayed or neutered cats and your chances of finding someone with a male to breed near you (this site is also international) is slim. I don't want to dissuade you from sticking around but maybe reconsider you choice. Millions of cats and kittens will die every year because there are not enough homes for them all. Contributing to that problem doesn't help anyone. If you really want to see a litter of kittens grow consider fostering an already pregnant cat or an orphaned litter.

I know you said you won't be dissuaded but here are some articles you should read:

Will Cats Become Extinct If We Spay/neuter All Of Them?
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

If you insist on having a litter, you will to save at least a thousand to cover an emergency c section, medical care, shots and spay/neutering all the kittens. Not to mention budget for triple your current food expenses from conception until the kittens are rehome or full grown. Also, do get your girl spayed after her litter (although ideally now and don't have a litter). She is at risk of life-threatening pyometra as long as she isn't spayed, that risk just goes up as she gets older.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think everyone has pretty well covered The Cat's Site's stand on this. Because of the nature of the site, it's highly unlikely there will be someone in your area with a suitable Tom who reads your thread.
I do hope you do take the time to look through these posts. There's some great advice. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcool

coolcat
Kitten
Purraise
Why do you want to breed her? When you say the vet said she is healthy does that at minimum include full bloodwork as well? She clearly isn't a purebred cat. Do you know the pain female cats experience when they are mated? The male cat's penis is barbed, so when he "pulls out" it tears her up and she screams. Is this something you want to put her through for no real reason? There are literally cats EVERYWHERE, there is a major overpopulation problem in the world. Why add to it? What if she needs an emergency c section costing thousands and loses the babies, or passes away herself and now you have a huge dilemma on your hands with newborn kittens and no mother cat. Are you prepared for this? If you are dying to experience cats and kittens there are rescue groups who would love to have people available to foster pregnant females.

Lastly, this is a very heavily pro neuter website so literally everyone here is going to discourage you breeding your domestic cat for no reason.
I guess you are right. But i wanna find love for my cat i will spay/neuter my cat but still want love for her she acts like shes lonely.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess you are right. But i wanna find love for my cat i will spay/neuter my cat but still want love for her she acts like shes lonely.
If you think she is lonely, you probably want to spay her and find her a life long friend, not an intact male cats who only wants to make babies with her... I'm not sure how cat "love" is measured in your eyes, but I believe copulation is far from it. Also the male cat's penis is barbed and intercourse is actually very painful for the female. Once you spay your cat, her hormones will stop telling her she needs to have babies, and she will be very content, even if her only company is you.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get her a friend. Spay her and visit your local shelter to see what they have available. Has she spent time around other cats? If so, how did she do? If you do get her a friend, here's an article with a lot of great information about introducing them to each other to make things go easier. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually after a cat mates they don’t stick together, it’s not like humans. By that I mean wed partners and not one-night stands lol.

If she is lonely, you should look into adopting a friend for her instead.

I have hundreds of pictures of my cat when she had mammary cancer if you want to see how bad it gets. Don’t risk it. If you truly love her you will get her spayed. Don’t make the same mistake I did and get her spayed too late.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket thinks friends are overrated, all they do is photobomb you and make funny faces....

In all seriousness, there is no romantic mating between cats. They are not monogamous and don't form emotional bonds with procreation. She will be much happier spayed with a neutered fellow. Talk with a local rescue so you find that perfect personality to compliment her.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Search here for low cost neutering in your area. Also there are some shelters in that list too who would have places you can adopt from. You really are doing her a lot of favors in living a stress free life by spaying here. Healthier too. It can be hard finding a friend for a cat. Spay her and let her recover awhile and see if she doesn't seem as lonely. If she still does get a younger cat and slowly introduce them. There are a variety of threads here about introducing cats. If you haven't done it before I urge you to come back when you are ready for another kitten and have us help you. They take awhile to get used to each other and can be very vocal and seem like they aren't getting along at first and it can all be overwhelming.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats don't experience romantic love like humans do. Many cats enjoy being loved by humans and expressing that love to us in various ways. You can get your kitty spayed and then get her a feline companion and playmate if you desire.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is a much better idea! :clap:

Have her spayed soon. Give her at least a month after the surgery to recover. She doesn't want to meet anybody while she isn't feeling well. Then go to a rescue or shelter and find a nice neutered gentleman cat about her age, maybe a little older. If he's too young he'll be active and make her angry with too much playing. Talk to the rescue people a lot so they can advise you on finding the best match.

First thing though---are you sure she wants a kitty friend? Some cats like to be "only children". How does she act when she sees a cat through the window? If it makes her mad, she might prefer not to share you with another cat.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Spayed female and neutered male cats can form very deep, loving relationships. All of my 20 plus fixed former ferals get on very well together. There are a few "couples" in the group who are obviously very much in love with each other.

Fixed cats get on much better than un-fixed cats. If you are dealing with females gong through heat cycles, male cats spraying, litters of kittens etc etc all they ever seem to do is fight.

If your cat is used to being an only kitty it might be difficult for her to adjust to sharing her home and her human with a new cat. I suggest you ask your shelter if it's possible to foster a cat for a few weeks to see how things work out.

Very slow and careful introductions usually help too.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is my take on breeding: I would never sleep at night not knowing where my babies were or how they were being cared for. Kittens are cute, they they grow up to be cats and not as cute as kittens so some dump them because they aren't cute anymore. When you sell or give away a kitten there is no guarantee it will live its entire life with the original owner, once the kitten is out of your control it could be resold, it could wind up as snake food, used as bait for training fighting dogs, sold to a lab for cruel testing. Is that what you want to happen to your precious kittens. Spay and neuter and its not something to have to worry about plus there are so many animals in shelters I won't add to the problem.