Looking for a female Maine Coon kitten to adopt.

Martymig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I live in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh and I'm looking into adopting a Main Coon kitten. It has to be female to be a good companion for my 4 year old male American Domestic long hair .
Does anyone know of a breeder in this area? I found a few breeders out of my area that will ship one to me for a price but, I don't want to have to go this route if I don't have to. Mostly for the kitten. I don't want the kitten to go through that ordeal of being confined in a crate bouncing halfway across the country if she dosent have to...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Fanciers Breeder Referral List is a good place to start looking for breeders. Here are the listings for Maine Coons:

You should be aware that breeders are experiencing a significant increase in demand this year, since so many families are looking for a "pandemic kitten" or "pandemic puppy." Many breeders have longer wait lists than usual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Martymig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several MC groups on Facebook that have verified breeders in the group if you want to check that out. As lutece lutece already said their waiting lists tend to be long let alone now longer due to the pandemic. Not only because more people are looking for companions but because they themselves halted breeding for a time period. You can look up breeders on CFA or TICA's site as a start.

Also winter isn't the best time to find kittens anyway, although not impossible. Spring/summer is "kitten season" and it will be easier once 2021 rolls around. Start doing research now so you recognize what an MC should look like, be careful of scam breeders and make sure you know you can handle caring for a Maine Coon too. They are different than domestic cats due to their slow maturation (they will get big but that doesn't equal being mature), have the time to upkeep their coat properly (most mat easily), and have funds for medical emergences (which applies to all animals of course). Some have hidden health issues (HCM/hip problems) hence why going with a reputable breeder is important.

Last, they are not inexpensive. A kitten will go for at least $1000 and up. Anything less, especially if only a few hundred, could be one of the tell tale signs of a scam. Again this applies to all breeds but MC's seems to be high on the least of breeds which people get scammed on a lot. And I agree one should not put a kitten in any kind of cargo situation. The closer to home you can find one the better - IMHO. Our girl came from a breeder in our own state though still a few hours away - but at least the drive to get her wasn't awful.

Being you are not far from New Jersey and if willing to drive I could give you the name of the breeder we purchased from if interested.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Fanciers Breeder Referral List is a good place to start looking for breeders. Here are the listings for Maine Coons:
[/URL]

You should be aware that breeders are experiencing a significant increase in demand this year, since so many families are looking for a "pandemic kitten" or "pandemic puppy." Many breeders have longer wait lists than usual.
Luna's breeder is listed on that site :bigeyes:👍

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, I live in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh and I'm looking into adopting a Main Coon kitten.
Breeders sell animals, not adopt out.

Try a Maine Coon rescue group:

Does it have to be a Maine Coon? Is there something about the breed that you particularly like? Shelters and rescues have plenty of available animals for adoption, even pure breeds sometimes. Take a look at your local shelter and rescue web sites to see what is currently available and what the process is to visit the animals in person.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Breeders sell animals, not adopt out.
The terms are somewhat interchangeable. Yes, breeders do sell cats/kittens, but they don't sell to just anyone who comes along who has the money. They are looking for people who are going to adopt those cats into their family. Most shelters and rescues charge an adoption fee. While it's generally not as high as the fee for a purebred cat, it could still be considered a sale.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Martymig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for posting some links and advice..