Looking Back On 2017

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
There were some great triumphs. I saw some great adoptions happen and sent home kittens to adoptive families that I didn't think would survive.
However, as my thick file for 2017 deaths tells, we lost a lot of kittens. Sometimes it's inevitable, something congenital that just kicks in and the kitten never would have made it. Sometimes it's not. I hope that my experiences this year, including attending the HSUS Animal Care Expo in Florida and being chosen for a Maddie's Fund Internship at the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, will help us lower our mortality rate for next year.
I also hope that we can be a more open, friendly program to those looking to adopt and institute more conversation-based adoption policies. I also look forward to expanding our miniature Pets For Life-style program where we assist community members in obtaining low-cost, high-quality care for their cats who otherwise would go without or be surrendered to shelters.
I have come to believe that the love and companionship of a pet, a cat especially, is not the privilege we seem to think it is. If you have the love in your heart for a cat, why would I let the cat you want to love languish at a shelter because you don't seem like a picture-perfect home? We all go through rough times and we all sometimes need help. Some of us are just more fortunate than others in being able to obtain that help quietly.
I am proud to say I took a few 'risks' this year. I did some adoptions that others thought might be unwise. And they turned out fine. Some turned out wonderfully. I resolve to continue to do this, to reduce the time of stay in our program and increase through-put. To save more cats and kittens. But at the same time, I know that it isn't just quantity that matters--we still need to care for each animal individually in our program and get to know him or her on a personal basis.
I am ever-thankful for my partners in rescue, including my partner in life, and looking forward to making new partnerships next year. I am likewise indebted to our two forever kitties, Sara and Shoshanna, and their amazing patience with the never-ending revolving door of foster kittens, and our dogs, Mimsy and Mhina, for not being too disruptive.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great post!!! I thank you deeply for being the type of person you are. You help spread love in a world that needs it more than it knows.