Looking after cat after Spay

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

my cat got spayed on Tuesday. She’s recovering well we’ve had her in a XXL mesh pen with a bed toys food and water and few hours let her roam in the bathroom and use her litter tray. For the most part she is settled and wearing the cone.
I was wondering how long until we can let the cat go out around the house normally?
will jumping hurt her?
we have lots of stairs so I’m worried about the internal stitches…

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*every few hours

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's prone to really high jumping, that wouldn't be too good, but normal running around the house should be fine now, unless your Vet advised differently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply I trialed her today for an hour and she seemed to take it easy then got over confident and tried jumping high.
we won’t over do it and have decided to do more freuquent shorter supervised breaks so she gets out the pen more. It’s a nice pen and lots of room but it’s not the same as roaming the house.
thankfully she’s liking the cone of shame.
the vet advised we could take the cone off if she isn’t interested in the site. But straight away she was.
likewise with jumping they were a bit cryptic saying not to do excessive jumping. 🤣🙄
I have 4 flights of stairs in the house so is that considered excessive is subjective! She is healing so well. So I think we will continue with this plan.
when she’s feeling top dollar I’m sure she will be meowing constantly to be out all the time. Often she is just relaxing in there enjoying the cool mat. So I think she’s liking it at the moment.
She gets about 10 breaks from there for 15 mins with the litter tray which is about 4 hours of pen out time and litter tray time.
just want her freedom back!Tough love job is hard lol

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you moving the pen around from room to room wherever her people are? That can be helpful.

I don't really think stairs are an issue. Now if she were to jump from the top level down to the bottom, THAT would be an issue. One of my cats did that once and I lost ten years off my life. It didn't seem to bother him in the least :lol: