Look who’s had her first walk on a harness!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d been sporadically trying to get Daisy used to a harness so I can take her outside, but she wasn’t keen (I know, I know, ”sporadically” is the problem here). Last night she did one of her rare door dashes, and I had some trouble getting her in - she didn’t go for the fence, thank goodness, but there are three connected courtyards, and she was obviously scared, but not enough to come toward me, the silly nit! So this morning I thought it might be as well to do what I did with Maddie - create an association between being on her lead and going outside with me. (She only door dashes when I’m outside; I hadn’t closed the door enough when putting rubbish out last night).

I would call this first Official Outsides a success. She was apprehensive, a bit belly-down, but not enough to put her off sniffing the tree and looking through the fence at the next-door courtyard, and she didn’t try to get the harness off at all. When I brought her inside after a couple of minutes she was full of purrs and rubs and is now, nearly an hour later after scrounging for seconds, snoozing on the bed as usual.

7FB950BB-D3CF-4B1E-83FB-6F195814B8C5.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay Daisy! This is great! I have a couple of door dashers and now that they know they are harness kitties, they ask for their harness. Lady sometimes forgets to wait but still thinks she is harnessed so it’s no problem to just pick her up. I have a bell on them and if I shake the bell, they stop and look. Inside, the bell brings them running. It took time to reach this point but it definitely helped us! I hope Daisy has the same reaction. I love the picture! Lovely harness Daisy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just had her second walk today. Went to the courtyard, she sniffed around and was more interested in the next-but-one, which has Things in it, unlike mine and Mum’s. Took her out the front, she sniffed the air but was a bit more uncertain, of course. We were only outside a couple of minutes. She was such a good girl - then blotted her copy book shortly afterward by dashing out the back door again! Hopefully she’ll get the idea soon enough that she has to have her outdoor clothes on to go outdoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t get any pics, but Daisy just had her third time out on a lead, and was Such A Good Girl! She was confident enough in the courtyard to roll around in the sun (so reminiscent of Maddie on the deck, sigh) and poke around in mine and the two adjoining courtyards, now I have permission from my neighbour to do so. (I never doubted my neighbour, a cat lover who visited to meet the kitties, would give permission, but she wasn’t home to ask last week.) I opened the front door and she went cautiously out for a sniff around, further down the path than she’s been before. It’ll take some time, especially with people around, but I’m so proud of my girl’s progress. She didn’t try to get away at any stage.

Attachments

Last edited: