Look After Your Vets.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Veterinarians have one of the highest rates of suicide - approximately four-times the national average (or around 1 suicide every 12 weeks).

Sad statistics for a profession that only wants to help others.
See the website below if you want to read up on it a bit more and understand what stresses your local vet is under.

Website link: Love Your Pet Love Your Vet - Home

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Additional articles on the subject with US info:

It may be due to a variety of things: compassion fatigue, on the job stress and demands, long hours, etc.

It's always good to let your vet know how much you appreciate him or her and the staff as well :agree: Anyone can make a phone call or send an email in just a few minutes.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow had no idea about this. I know there has been recent discussions about tragically high suicide rates among other professions like first responders (Paramedics, Police Officers etc) but didn't know this is happening to vets too. Sadly I can see why it would be though :redheartpump: Thanks for the awareness.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard this and I believe it. Our vets are great ladies and they are both married to vets too. There is one tech in particular that is just phenomenal with my girls; who never really like to be handled. One was the vet who went to my mother's house to help her dog cross the bridge and Mom said she was in tears along with them. They've been really kind and compassionate with my girls and they both have helped me make informed decisions in hard situations. I can only imagine some of the worst things they see and the difficult people they deal with. :(