Long time no see! Some questions about leash training

billdolfski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious to hear about cats on leashes, I know it can be done... but I've never seen it done effectively.  My ex gf shows me pics of her cats on leashes and they seem fine, but I don't know how it works and I'd assume she started her young.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on the cat, the area you want to take the cat on a leash in, and you.

We have several cats that have been leash trained and ultimately loved going out for walks.

Something to consider is that once you get your cat used to going outdoors on a leash, it is a very real possibility they will begin to demand it.  Unless they just absolutely hate being outdoors.  Snowy loved the outdoors and would tolerate the leash if it meant she got to go out and sniff about.. that is until she picked up fleas... and she has an allergic reaction to the fleas and ended up having to get a cortisone shot, and now she will sit at the door and sniff outside, but she has no interst in going out.  I think when fall comes she will want to again, we will see.

Tatiana on the other hand is very insistent about her daily walk, and if she had her way, they would multiple daily walks.  She actually walks, she chases bugs in the grass, climbs trees, if she sees a rabbit or a squirrel its on... she will even try to chase the birds.  She gets scared by people who walk by and when we see dogs or kids, and she will drop and crouch, and she likes to take frequent breaks where she will just lay down, but if you pick her up and start to carry her, she will demand to be put down again.

Mostly I think cats do okay on walks if they get to lead, and you take your time and let them sniff and stuff but if you want to take them somewhere, get a stroller.  Both cats enjoy going for rides...