Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks! As the title suggests, I've been lurking these forums on and off for a long while. I decided to make an account so I can ask questions and contribute to the forum community.

I am a university student in Canada, and much to my delight my roommate and I are going to be moving into a pet friendly place for the next academic year! In (probably way too early) preparation, I've been doing tons of research on cat care and supplies, and making a cat budget so I can make sure I can responsibly provide for a cat. It makes me feel good to know I'll be as prepared as I can be, and also I find reading about cats to be a great destressor for breaks between working on school stuff!

In my home province, my parents have an absolutely wonderful cat named Suki. She's 13 years old and she loves human contact, all other animals, and warm places to sleep. We adopted her many years ago when she was found in an alley with her kittens and the kittens all got homes before she did. She's an absolute treasure and incredibly loud for only being 8 pounds - you can hear her purr from another room, and she has a raspy, "yelling" meow that our vet says sounds kind of siamese-like. I've attached some pictures so you all can admire her.

I look forward to becoming part of this forum!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
0568F27A-4D45-42A7-8C98-525AB99D2C25.gif
corvidae and Suki, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
2E3220F2-D564-464E-9AEA-CF014A27CB0D.gif

Glad that you’ve stopped lurking and decided to joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Create A New Thread
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Suki is lovely! :happycat::purr: Do post more photos of her and she qualifies for this thread Cat Tongues Thursday!!! and here too Tuxedo Cats ;)

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and do introduce yourself and your kitties to the community here in New Cats on the Block

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
:hithere:

Aw, Suki is so cute. How fun to be anticipating a new kitty of your own! Are you looking for a particular kind of cat or are you going to let one pick you from a shelter? :gingercat:

It's never too early to start planning. Smart idea to budget for cat care. Sometimes people don't realize how much it's going to cost for food, vaccines, flea meds, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your warm words of welcome! I will pass your compliments on to Suki the next time I call my parents - I'm sure she will respond with lots of purrs.

betsygee betsygee , I'm planning to adopt from the local shelter. There never seems to be a shortage of cats that need homes there! I don't have too many specifics in mind besides that I want an adult cat, probably between 2 and 6 years old. I love kittens but don't always have the energy for their adorable antics! Beyond that, I am hoping as you so nicely put it that the right cat will pick me :catrub:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign::bouquet:

I was drawn into your lurking.

We - Dudley, Parker, the ghost of Brian (my avatar), and I - are very pleased to meet you. It's refreshing to find such a committed and sensible newbie. I look forward to having you around and hope to be able to lend my paws if needed.

Parker (9 ish months) on the left and Dudley (2yrs on Monday) on the right, despairing at my unearthing of craft boxes under the bed. They weren't in the room when I started, then I looked up to find them suddenly peering down.

IMG_1796.jpg

:salam:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a lurker for a while, too and I have not regretted joining! Everyone here is fantastic! Welcome and enjoy yourself!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My goodness - you got a BUNCH of the heavy-duty members to chime in LOL, good for you ;)
As was mentioned by betsygee betsygee , it's never too early to start learning about this incredibly awesome species called feline.
despairing at my unearthing of craft boxes under the bed.
Not so, they were there to make sure you didn't disappear into the depths :help: and most particularly, to ensure they were in the right place at the right time in case something yummy miraculously appeared :anticipation::yummy:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome, and we're so happy to have a loving, responsible future cat guardian on board! Corvidae, huh? Crow? Raven? Magpie? I'm quite fond of the corvids and those who connect with them!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: How exciting to be "expecting" a cat in the fall. ;) When I was ready to adopt a cat, I also went with an adult cat, rather than a kitten. Kittens are adorable, but definitely high energy.

Your kitty sister, Suki, is adorable. Thanks for posting her pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you to all the additional welcomers! I am definitely feeling the love and appreciate your kind replies!

Brian007 Brian007 - To me it looks like Parker and Dudley are supervising you to make sure you're unearthing the craft boxes correctly! They both look super soft and I like the way their legs are tucked underneath them.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 - Thanks for asking! Crows are my favorite but I'll settle for any of the bunch. We mostly get magpies around here this time of year, although when it gets really cold ravens come into the city for easy scavenging. I saw two in the parking lot of my grocery store the other week! They're all such cool birds and I always smile when I see them.

rubysmama rubysmama - Thank you! "Expecting" is very much how it feels, haha. I am excited about the opportunity to give an adult cat a loving home, because I know kittens often go much faster than adults do. How lovely of you to give a home to your adult cat!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
corvidae, congrats on being able to look forward to adopting your very own kitty. Many, many years ago (I won't say how many!), I also moved from a university-owned pet-unfriendly apartment into my own place and immediately went looking for a cat friend to keep me company. I had never owned a cat before (I grew up with dogs), so you already know a lot more than I do about cats because you've had Suki in your life. I adopted my beautiful Gwen that year, and we had over 15 long, happy years together. She taught me how wonderful cats are, and I'm hoping to pay it forward with my current kitten, Juniper. I know you'll have an equally delightful experience with your new furry friend.

Gwen did choose me-- I visited a foster home with a huge litter of adorable kittens, and she crawled into my handbag as I was leaving. I thought that was a pretty specific request.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looooves me a loud purr!!! We had one when I was a kid.

Thanks for the pics of your beauty! And thanks for adopting a animal in need of love.