Long term use of cosequin

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A while back there was a thread about possible long term side effects of cosequin. I don't remember the thread so am bringing it up again. I apparently am useless at searches and have not been able to come up with any info, either in this forum or on google searches.

Wondering specifically about kidney issues, and is it the glucosamine, the chondroitin or the MSM that is the culprit?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that Cosequin was actually recommended for kidney kitties at the outset, IIRC.  Don't quote me on that, but I think that's right.  We gave Callie cosequin for several years and this was after she was diagnosed with CRF.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that Cosequin was actually recommended for kidney kitties at the outset, IIRC.  Don't quote me on that, but I think that's right.  We gave Callie cosequin for several years and this was after she was diagnosed with CRF.

Hi Stephanie, it's often recommended for bladder health. The chondroitin is thought to help strengthen the bladder walls, apparently the lining of the bladder resembles cartilage in composition..

This is why I am thinking of it. Mazy cat has been taking cosequin for her bladder health for over 7 years. It's only just occurred to me to wonder if there are long term side effects such as kidney issues. At her last blood work in June her creatinine was a tiny bit elevated. Only by one tenth of a point, and in another lab it may not have even read as elevated. But it started me wondering.

Mazy is 8 years old and ate Hills Prescrption c/d kibble for 6 1/2 years. I took her off the kibble in January, she eats a commercial grain/fruit&veggie free canned diet now.

I'm wondering about reducing the cosequin. My vet feels she needs to be on it for life. I'm wondering.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A while back there was a thread about possible long term side effects of cosequin....
I'll certainly be watching to see if that thread can be found.

However, from someone who knows a thing or two about feline kidney issues:
Treatments containing glucosamine and chondroitin, such as Cosequin, are usually safe for CKD cats; I found Cosequin did help Harpsie's arthritis to some extent, although according to The Mayo Clinic, it has been known to raise blood pressure temporarily in some human patients, and some patients have developed proteinuria. The increase in blood pressure may be because some of these products have a sodium base.  Be careful about using such products in a CKD cat and try to obtain a product without a sodium base if possible. http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments_general_health.htm#arthritis_treatments
And, from Helen's other site: (no kidney references, though)
Glucosamine contains glucose, so may be a problem for diabetic cats. Chondroitin comes from chitin, which comes from the shells of crabs, and may therefore not be suitable for cats who cannot tolerate shellfish. Some brands contain potassium, which is not advisable for cats taking ACE inhibitorshttp://www.harpsie.com/arthritis.htm#glucosamine_chondroitin

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - and found this. "Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate Side Effects" at eHow: http://www.ehow.com/about_5379161_glucosamine-chondroitin-sulfate-side-effects.html

Other Rare Side Effects

There have been extremely rare reports of dangerous side effects such as liver inflammation, immune system changes, interstitial nephritis, reduced kidney function and hepatitis.
The "normal" side effects are effect on glucose levels and gastro-intestinal upset.

The references included the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glucosamine/NS_patient-glucosamine/DSECTION=safety though this is only on glucosamine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie. No, Mazy isn't on any raw yet. She had been having some dusting of crumpled Stella&Chewy's over her food, to encourage her to eat the portions with pumpkin added, but I don't think that was enough to make any difference. She likes the S&C but has trouble with the bone, I think. I stopped giving her pumpkin, because she hates it so much.

I was hoping the pumpkin would be a good way to help her with her hairballs but she hates it so much. I want her to enjoy her food.

I have dropped her to every other day on the cosequin, and may go to three times a week, and eventually completely off it She is having no urinary tract problems on the commercial canned diet. I, of course want to keep it that way. I worry about the long term effects of all those years on the c/d kibble. I want her to feel good!

After reading those articles I may stop taking it myself! :lol3:

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dushka has been on Cosequin for three months now and it has made a huge difference to her arthritis - she no longer growls when moved and is jumping more easily. The vet told me to watch for diahrrea but there has been no sign of upset tummy. That was the only possible side effect I found when I researched it online.