Long term treatment for struvite

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
So my cat Cosmo (around 3 1/2 years old) got freshly diagnosed with having a problem with struvite crystals. He's currently getting antibiotics and gets methio tabs for two weeks. After that we'll check his urine again. But most likely it will be a permanent issue on and off.

Since I work as a vet assistant myself I've seen a lot of urinary diets hills, Royal canin you name it. And I'm really not a friend off the ingredients.
I'm currently feeding 3/4 Feringa or Mjamjam Wetfood (not a particular type) and he gets a small portion of dry food right before bed (Applaws)

Are there any other viable alternatives like pastes or other supplements I can give him with his regular food? Or any other recommendations? (Of course I'll still be talking with my vet!)

Oh and I'm from Germany by the way, so I may not be able to get all your fancy american stuff :lol:

Thanks in advance!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Struvite Bladder Stones in Cats

You are probably quite well informed about this issue, but some point in this article might help. Is the vet advising you on food that is available to you which controls levels of minerals that make this worse? I was told to keep Fiona on a prescription diet permanently which came no where near close to working as she would not eat it. There are also suggestions in the article about fountains, etc if your cat will use one, to encourage more water.

Fiona ultimately had surgery to have her stones removed and they did not recur. We got to the point where there were too many regular trips to the vet, finally to the ER on holidays. She was about 9 when we had the procedure.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GimCat has a Urinary Paste. German brand. Premium pastes in a new dimension - GimCat English

Side note, I've been using GimCat's malt paste for years now and it works well on my cat for hairballs. But this summer I tried their Derma Paste and not only my cat didn't like its taste at all, it had no effect on her skin issue at the time. I tried some pill form supplements from other brands later and they worked well.

In Turkey pretty much every brand has a supplement for urinary issues. BioPetActive, Zoovital... I'm sure there are others in Germany as well.

Have you checked other brands' urinary foods? ProPlan Veterinary diets, Virbac, Hill's, MeraVital (German brand),... they all have urinary care foods.