Long Term Trazodone in Senior Kitty

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my beloved 17 year old furball is showing signs of dimentia at night. He is meowling (yowling plus meows) from 12:30am-5:00am every 15 mins or so. This has been going on at a steady increase over last year. He just had his physical - all pretty decent but lost eyesight in left eye. Not surprising bc he is ckd, but he’s on amlodipine for ckd. He is getting full blood panel next month.

vet tried him on gabapentin to no avail. Now put him on nightly trazodone.

Can’t find any info online about long term nightly use of trazodone in felines. My vet says I shouldn’t worry about any long term negative side effects, but here I still am, worrying! I know he’s old but don’t want to mess him up with pills at this stage!

FYI, I pilled him a 1/4 tablet yesterday with no noticeable effects. Tonight giving 1/2 based on vet’s opinion. Will keep effects posted! ~Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried leaving some lights on all night? Older kitties with diminished vision can feel lost during the night and lights can help. I would also try a heated bed which they all seem to love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried leaving some lights on all night? Older kitties with diminished vision can feel lost during the night and lights can help. I would also try a heated bed which they all seem to love.
Thank you for your feedback, I tried the lights to no avail. He also prefers being right by the a/c (in hot summer weather atm) but I do want to try this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. All I read about Trazadone is to use it with caution with cats who have kidney or liver issues, but that probably applies to half or more of the drugs given to cats/pets. Here are some links (see below) to information about Trazadone in case they help any. Are you able to get CBD oil?
Trazodone | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)
Trazodone (Oleptro®, Desyrel®) for Dogs and Cats (petplace.com)
Thanks for this, I have a call with my vet to show her this resource! He is a ckd kitty so not sure this medicine is good for him.