Long Term Introduction Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pictures brought me back to when we tried using closet shelving to make a barrier in the past. We even bought a screen sheet from a screen door but Moose would climb. everything. So we stopped because he's so clumsy and I can picture him injuring himself.

It's nice to see someone describe their fighting as "carefully not hurting each other." If that's the case, do we stop interfering all together? Unless it becomes a blood bath obviously. What about when they stalk each other? Should we interrupt the stalking with toys and treats? Or see what they do?

We had a great short meal time tonight, Pips was confident and actually walking around. Not sulking in the corner watching. She even hissed at Moose for following her instead of just flying and tackling him. We figured we'd end it shortly after that with some play time. Not sure what changes in her, every once and a while she'll come down from the cat room with sass and confidence. Making their interaction 100x better. But that's like 1 in 10 'cat sessions.'

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, quit interfering unless it's a bloodbath. The fighting is how they work things out between themselves. It will continue until they do work things out. After that they will play fight, which they are very very close to now.

They play fight to stay in shape, to be prepared if they have to go out on their own to find food, to defend themselves from other cats who mean them no good, and predators who will kill them. They have to practice, just as a runner has to run. Stopping them practicing is unkind. Of course, you didn't realize this, but now you do.

Things are good between your guys.

Note - a couple of little dings - tiny scratches on the face are not a blood bath. They happen because the skin is tighter on the face than elsewhere. They happen because a claw was a little further out than intended. Much like when guys are sparing and don't pull a punch as much as they intended. Do not freak out for dings. Okay?

Note 2- If they hiss, growl, or scream at each other one of two things are happening. One they are practicing swearing, a very important part of cat fighting (and martial arts). Two one has gone too far and the other is telling him 'back off, now." At which point the one who has gone too far will back off. They move apart then begin again.

Note 3- barefoot and sock footed are good for your cats safety. Watch were your feet are in relation to where the cats are. You might want to buy some slip on shoes just in case. Hey, an excuse to buy shoes. ;)

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you so much!
I'd much rather them have a potty mouth and swear at each other then resort to tussling at this point.

I'm just paranoid about having too many negative encounters.. so many online sources suggested short and positive only sessions between them. But i'll stop interfering unless it becomes serious. Hopefully we dont have to take a step back or have a kitty become too fearful/stressed.

I mean... it is winter. Maybe some new cute slippers are in my future.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm speaking from experience not from reading. I've had a few cats, we're on number 26 now, which tells you we had several at time. Does that help?

You've already passed the scary part. Truly, you have. If your cats hated each other they would have already done emergency vet trip damage to each other. They'd have done it in the first few mintues of access to each other. It only takes a second. Scared you there, didn't I? Keep in mind you're passed that, it's over. Your cats don't hate each other. They may do a little damage to each other, but it will be an accident.

If they don't get to work out the details, they'll never have a chance of becoming cuddle buddies, which is what you want. Honestly, that may not happen anyway, but they are far beyond just tolerating each other.

You're good. They're good. It's good.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here you go, put this in the search at Amazon and get started, you'll find them everywhere not just Amazon. In all colors. Be right back with my own pairs. I mean Sweet Gum could just jet across the room at any time, right?

Dear Time Women Flat Shoes Comfortable Slip On Pointed Toe Ballet Flats

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's been a while. We had some really good sessions with them.. and some not so good. The day after we posted the video they were both walking around with tails up. Then Pips started stalking Moose. We let it play out and they got into a scrap. Now I'm not sure if it would have ended differently but they rolled into my cup with water and it splashed onto them. From there they split up and Moose chased Pips up the stairs. Haven't heard them vocally howl, hiss and essentially scream like that since we first began this journey. We split them up until bed time feed and that from my memory went OK. Since then they've been rocky, and both less confident.

Moose has in the past few days become the bully now. We have a short video of his new behavior and I was hoping on some opinions.

We put a pillow between them and lured Moose to the other side of the house.
I've never seen the fur on his back raise or that posturing from him before despite Pips hissing at him. (sorry no audio)

After we got them on different sides of the house we played with them. They both played okay, not to the full extent they normally would without the other cat in the same room. We then stopped play and they just kind of hung out for 5 mins. Moose then proceed to have a second round of what you see in the video. So we ended it there.

Is there any way to know what this new behavior indicates? Nothing else from what I can see has changed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You must be getting so frustrated with all this. :sigh: Since my experience with introducing cats is nil, all I can really say is I wonder if this latest aggression is Re-directed Aggression In Cats from the water incident.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's hard some days for sure... ): At what point do people decide it just isn't going to work out between them?
On a positive note he hasn't done that posturing again.. Still wondering what provoked him to advance like that though.
We're struggling to get Pips confidence up again. She won't play anymore while he's in the same room. Only thing I can get her to do is some tricks for treats. Or make her walk around by tossing a treat for her. Does anyone have any other tips for increasing a cats confidence? We play with her alone and try while Moose's around. Also trying to give her extra attention and pets.. but she doesn't really want me to pet her while he's around either. She's too focus on watching him. She did give him a swat then tossed him onto the ground and wrestled a little today. She still just wants to hide behind one of us or lay in the corner though.