Long term effects of infection while in utero

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! My momma cat had a severe infection while pregnant. Likely due to physical trauma. She had 3 healthy kittens, the source of the infection was removed a couple weeks ago and everyone seems to be doing well.

My question - does anyone know if there are any long term health issues with kittens who's momma was super sick while they were in utero?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
One outcome (describing it as a "health issue" is up for debate) can be a condition called CH, or cerebellar hypoplasia. This is also known as "wobbly kitty syndrome". These cats and kittens are sometimes classified as "bobbleheads".
This is a neurological disorder where the balance portion of the brain underdevelops and they have little to no control over their balance (which cats are known for).
This would be pretty evident after birth and can be diagnosed easily. The good news is, the cats and kittens are not in any pain, this is not a degenerative disease (meaning it won't get worse) and they just need some extra assistance. For some unknown reason, it also makes them extremely loving.
A simple YouTube search of "CH cat videos" will show what this condition entails.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fever coat is another outcome of mom being sick. It causes pigment issues with the kittens coat but will self resolve when the kittens adult coat grows in. Just gives the kitten a color changing effect through their first few months to year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One outcome (describing it as a "health issue" is up for debate) can be a condition called CH, or cerebellar hypoplasia. This is also known as "wobbly kitty syndrome". These cats and kittens are sometimes classified as "bobbleheads".
This is a neurological disorder where the balance portion of the brain underdevelops and they have little to no control over their balance (which cats are known for).
This would be pretty evident after birth and can be diagnosed easily. The good news is, the cats and kittens are not in any pain, this is not a degenerative disease (meaning it won't get worse) and they just need some extra assistance. For some unknown reason, it also makes them extremely loving.
A simple YouTube search of "CH cat videos" will show what this condition entails.
Thank you! That is excellent information to have and totally makes sense. Fortunately they don't have CH. They are 6ish weeks old currently and (mostly) act like totally normal 6 week old kittens. The only difference I've seen is that they tend to slide off things more than my previous litters. Like when laying or sleeping in my lap all kittens slip right off sometimes, these guys do it a noticeable amount more. I swear I spend half my time catching them from sliding onto the ground. 😆😆😆

But they def do not have bobble heads or gaited walks or annnnything at all like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fever coat is another outcome of mom being sick. It causes pigment issues with the kittens coat but will self resolve when the kittens adult coat grows in. Just gives the kitten a color changing effect through their first few months to year.
Yup! They definitely gots the fever coats. I have a "smoke" and a "blue/smoke and white" that are slowly turning into black and black and white. 😆😆😆

Attachments