Long labor and need someone to tell me it normal

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a foster cat from the SPCA 13 days ago who was due “any day now”. We have anxiously waiting for signs of labor since! Saturday I took her to the vet after seeing worms crawling out of her butt. She got a one dose treatment and we went home. Later that evening she had diarrhea and was extra licky down there. I saw a bit of clear discharge tainted a bit reddish. She was very clingy that night deciding to sleep in my bed versus her normal closet suite. Pretty normal behavior most of Sunday besides a large bowel movement that was light grey in color and outside of the box. Sunday evening around 7pm she started having heavy contractions that involved her straining several times over a a few minutes and then pausing. She also had some watery discharge and lots of licks. I thought kittens were imminent! She seemed to be resting every time I checked on her so I eventually went to bed. I woke up to no kittens! She hasn’t eaten since Sunday evening and didn’t finish her meal. I couldn’t feel any fetal movement like I had previously. She had red bloody discharge so I called vet and they had me bring her in. The head vet examined her and said her babies are all lined up in the canal and she looks good. The blood was normal and saw no signs of dead fetus. I observed a few lighter contractions throughout the day sporadically. I have been on edge waiting! How long do you all think it will be before I will see babies or freak out and call the vet again?? TIA!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor kitty is having a tough time. It’s clear that she is not feeling well. I’m concerned that she hasn’t eaten in 24 hours. I’m also concerned about the red bloody discharge. Some of this is not normal. Are you still seeing contractions now?

NotsoCrazyCatlady716 NotsoCrazyCatlady716

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is not interested in food. She just wants to lay in her box. She has been having contractions and some straining. She is moving around and licking her genitals.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully there will be kittens by tomorrow. I’m not sure what you mean when you say she is “straining.” If she actively pushes for an hour without success, or is otherwise in distress, you’ll need a vet ASAP as it may become an emergency.

Please keep us posted.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully there will be kittens by tomorrow. I’m not sure what you mean when you say she is “straining.” If she actively pushes for an hour without success, or is otherwise in distress, you’ll need a vet ASAP as it may become an emergency.

Please keep us posted.
Wish I could post a video showing the movement. It was similar to movement of vomiting but in the other direction. The vet said she was cheerful, hydrated, and not showing any signs of distress. I just have a feeling something is wrong but maybe I’m just spending too much time on the internet. The blood just seems too much.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Please keep us posted.
[/QUOTE]

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her contractions have lessened much more today. Right now she is sleeping. She has continued to not eat except for a few licks. Her ear temp is 102.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see her lifting her body but it may be when the kittens are moving. When you see ripples (like waves) rolling down her sides, those are contractions. There can be pre-labor contractions called Braxton Hicks, but they stop. Once real labor commences, it does not stop and the ripples get stronger and closer together until pushing begins. This usually takes place over a 24- hour period and kittens are born.

How much blood are you seeing and how often? Is it bright red or pinkish? Is it like a teaspoonful at a time or more? Is it just drops or watery?

If it is a lot of bright red blood, something is wrong, and she needs the vet. If she’s been pushing with no success, she needs a vet and a C-section to save the kittens. If the kittens are ready to be born they need to come out. If her contractions are not strong enough to push them out the kittens can die inside her, in particular the first one who may possibly be breech and causing a problem.

Do you have a photo of the blood?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope the first contractions were really an extra heavy Braxton Hicks contractions. These come usually several days before the real delivery labor. Also, as the vets saw her, and decided she was OK, its almost sure it was the Braxton Hicks... And there did come the mucus plug too.
Its in any way, the best case scenario.

The diarrhea and loss of appetite MaY be because of this dewormer.

But her not eating at all is not so good, whatever cause this is. Can you entice into her someting? Forcefeed with a dropper? Say, goats milk, full fat youghurt, kmr? Or mushed up mixed kitten food? Perhaps wrap her in in a thick towel, one holds, the other one gives her. This way, she cant fight against, and it wont be so stressing for her.

Anyway, you can always put in some glucose sugar or a drop of white caro sugar on the gum, inside of her lips. It gives some energhy.
And or put in some of this into these fluids you give.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning! Tragic update:

I took her back to the vet at the crack of dawn today after I wouldn’t leave them alone about it. She passed 2 dead kittens in my presence, 1 right before we left, 1 in the carrier while driving. They xrayed her and she had 3 more inside all suspected deceased. They gave her oxytocin and passed #3. Waiting for 4 and 5 to be passed hopefully without a need for surgery so she can come home to recover. I have already reached out to the program to see if they have any bottle babies that she could nurse. I’ll update again later when I know more. So many tears in this house! We were all so vigilant for the 2 weeks we had her and haven’t been able to tell my 3 kids yet.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She made it through surgery to remove #4 and #5, both deceased as well. I keep going over how I could have done something different and I’m not sure what other than insisting something was definitely wrong much sooner. I’m sure I’ll always wonder. She was spayed during surgery which will make her adoptable soon. She will make someone a very happy human with her precious nature. I’m not sure how long it will be before I’m ready to foster again after this tragedy. My youngest are 5 & 8. Telling them no kittens are coming home is going to be so hard.