Long labor and need someone to tell me it normal

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the update. Again, I am so sorry.

It does not usually go this way, and even a highly experienced cat person may have missed the signs. It is not your fault. I feel badly for the mama kitty and am glad she will be okay. Are you fostering her during her recovery?

We have a long kitten season ahead and fosters will be in demand to save cats from living in cages and euthanasia. I hope you will try again so that your children can experience the wonder of kittens and learn that there are ups and downs in a cat’s life too. Again, this situation was not the norm. Thank you for all that you have done!

NotsoCrazyCatlady716 NotsoCrazyCatlady716

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is spending the night at the vet on iv fluids. She is getting antibiotics as well. I am anxious to foster her back to health until she’s ready for the adoption floor or if I can find her a furever home amongst my friends so I can see how happy she makes someone. I have 2 of my own and desire to foster again so keeping her is not an option.
My first foster litter was when I was 13 and somehow convinced my mother, who hates cats 🙄, to let me volunteer my time caring for a pregnant mom. She had 7 crazy kittens who she birthed next to me on the couch with no problems! I have fostered many kittens since then throughout my life but put it on pause for several years while dealing with my own crazy life. The pandemic left me home with a lot more free time so this was my first foster experience in awhile and it’s got me shook. I’m sure most readers would agree that fostering has its ups and downs but this is the worst I’ve ever felt. My heart is heavy but hope I get the call that another mama or babies need our help this time the wiser. I mean I’ve spent the past 2 weeks reading everything there is to know about cat labor I feel more qualified than my local spca at this point. Thank you for your sympathies. It helps to know I’m not alone in mourning!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You were right to be concerned and it’s very unfortunate that the vet you saw on Monday did not pick up on this or do an ultrasound. I am also surprised that all the kittens were deceased. Most times the first one or two cannot be saved but others can. I suppose they were all overdue and conditions in her uterus deteriorated to the point they could not survive. At any rate, see that the vet gives you some pain meds to take home. She’ll need them for 2-3 days. Also ask if they can give her a shot to dry up her milk or she may be doubly miserable for awhile.

Do give us updates on mom once you get her home. I’d like to follow her progress as she has been through so much.

I have ten cats of my own, and I’ve seen it all!

@NotsoCrazyCatla716

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she almost made me feel silly for bringing her in. It breaks my heart that I could feel fetal movement until Saturday. I wonder why she stopped laboring on Sunday with no signs of distress. The first 2 were smelly upon delivery so I wasn’t surprised they were all deceased. I knew for 2 days something wasn’t right but the SPCA didn’t seem to take me seriously. I have the head vets personal cell phone number now and she said she just took on the position and plans on implementing changes so things like this don’t happen again. I’ve learned to trust my gut and be more of an advocate for my kitties. I’m still hoping she may find some bottle babies to put some use to that milk but will mention treatment if not. I’m going to focus on getting her lots of nutrition for healing. I offered her everything cats love and she was very picky about what she ate. Egg yolks and chicken broth were favorites I used to get her to take her Lysine and the dry kitten food always offered. She is so skinny! I could feel every bone in her back when I pet her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your mama kitty had dystocia, which is when the uterine contractions are not strong enough to bring on full labor and pushing. When this happens, the body keeps trying, but the kittens become overdue and waters break and the uterine environment deteriorates. The kittens no longer receive what they need and begin to die as the placenta and sac disintegrate. The bleeding is from the breakdown in the uterus. It is a sign the pregnancy itself is in distress. I think your cat was having mild contractions, and felt uncomfortable due to dead fetuses in her birth canal, but could not easily pass them.

I had a half grown kitten once who had dead, calcified kittens inside her. She smelled horrible from the decay but could not pass anything. It takes a c-section/spay to remove the material, and in the meantime, the mom cat becomes ill and infected and is at risk of death without medical help.Thank goodness you insisted on help when you did to at least save mom.

It’s great that you have your new vet’s cell number, and hopefully things will improve. If there are no orphan kittens in need of immediate help, it’s best to help mom’s milk dry up quickly so she returns to normal soon.

You’ve been through a lot yourself, and you have excellent instincts for cats! Your insistence on taking the cat in most likely saved her life. Thank you!

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama is home now resting. She seems so much healthier than she ever was. Her appetite is 💯 better and she is moving around with ease. She was happy to see me and came right out to go home. She definitely sad though :( The vet said the 2 removed were so necrotic that she suspected that they have been dead longer than the other 3 and likely the reason the rest went downhill so quickly.
I’m happy she is home for at least 12 more days while she finishes her medicine. With her being so skinny, can I over feed her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she needed a C-section 10 days ago. Anyway, feed her as much as she wants! She’s got a lot to make up for and good nutrition aids in healing. So glad she is better! I hope you find a friend to adopt her so she does not have to go back to a cage. Black cats have a tough time getting adopted, but they generally have very sweet personalities. I have an all black cat myself! :)

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope I can find someone to adopt her too. I’m a pretty good salesman. My black cat was the sweetest boy I ever had. He was a great foster fail. I have spoiled ginger twins right now as my permanent crew. They are not so accepting of new members.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With her being so skinny, can I over feed her?
Start slowly! Better small portions but often, you dont want her to overeat. But yes, do increase stepwise her food.
It depends a little if she HAD lack of food for real, was emaciated - or she had food aplenty, but also many kittens and was sick, and this is why she is skinny.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Start slowly! Better small portions but often, you dont want her to overeat. But yes, do increase stepwise her food.
It depends a little if she HAD lack of food for real, was emaciated - or she had food aplenty, but also many kittens and was sick, and this is why she is skinny.
I offered her all the food because she was so skinny. She was a very picky eater from the beginning. I asked how she got to the shelter but they didn’t have much info to give up. She is eating much better now and is making trips to the litter box. She comes out of her closet for pets but i still think she is sad. She is content sleeping most of the day away in her box of blankets.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NotsoCrazyCatlady716 NotsoCrazyCatlady716 I am finally reading this thread (we just got in 100 doses of the Janssen aka Johnson & Johnson vaccine in our rural pharmacy and it's hectic for me right now) and was disappointed about the tragedy. Your own instincts were spot on & I'm sorry that the vets didn't pay proper attention. How did your kids handle the news? So much love & care in your home for foster kitties - I hope you get some tinies very soon.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NotsoCrazyCatlady716 NotsoCrazyCatlady716 I am finally reading this thread (we just got in 100 doses of the Janssen aka Johnson & Johnson vaccine in our rural pharmacy and it's hectic for me right now) and was disappointed about the tragedy. Your own instincts were spot on & I'm sorry that the vets didn't pay proper attention. How did your kids handle the news? So much love & care in your home for foster kitties - I hope you get some tinies very soon.
Glad 100 people were able to get vaccinated! We are still mourning about the babies but feel fortunate we were able to save mom. The kids were very sad, they are 12,8, and 5 all nurturing little girls ready to care for newborn kittens. I get begged on a daily basis to keep mama but we live in a duplex and don’t own the property. My landlord is nice to allow pets but said 2 is the limit. The promise of more fosters being allowed to stay with us is giving us all optimism.
She is doing well health wise. She seems to be filling out and her belly is shrinking back nicely without her over grooming her incision. She still has a good appetite and finishes most of her meals. She is still spending most of her day in her closet in her box though. It seems like she is afraid all of a sudden. I tried picking her up and bringing her on the bed where we used to hang out all the time and she ran right back to her spot.
thanks for asking!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor mama kitty - IMO, the mother cats realize a lot more about their pregnancy than we humans often credit them. I have had to make the decision to do spay/abort and some kitties will growl at me years later, the same as they do when I "kitten nap" their babies at 3-4 weeks old.
I am beyond thrilled that your family is still interested in fostering. Play and comfort-grooming might help your mama kitty get over bereavement sooner. She needs time with a family that she trusts during this difficult time. Goat milk can be a comfort food for her; kitten food will continue to nourish her body as it recovers from growing all those Littles. Thank you for keeping us updated!

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor mama kitty. Any luck finding a friend to take her permanently?
Sadly, no! I still have another week with her and ask EVERYONE I come across. There are so many black cats up for adoption already at the shelter. I really want to avoid having her stay in the cage for even a day!

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, no! I still have another week with her and ask EVERYONE I come across. There are so many black cats up for adoption already at the shelter. I really want to avoid having her stay in the cage for even a day!
Mom went back to the shelter and was quickly adopted!!
I have a new mom and new questions! I am going to start a new thread but wanted one last update for this one.