Long haired tortie or calico??

kateecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was told she was a Tortoiseshell, but she has quiet a bit of while on her stomach/neck, from what I understand, torties don't have a lot of white? But yeah I have no idea. I don't know what the difference is between the two?
Just wanting to know for my own curiosity 🙂
Thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome!
Here's one aspect of things :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would call your prettie for tortie with white. Perhaps even, tortie with white in the tuxedo pattern.

I have been learned, calicos have the color field separated,

But we see on yours, the colors on the body are intermingled / intertwined; black and red... Even if in places, the colors are separated...

Genetically she is a tricolored, and carries the same genes as a calico...
So this is a more or less clumsy try to describe them...

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was told she was a Tortoiseshell, but she has quiet a bit of while on her stomach/neck, from what I understand, torties don't have a lot of white? But yeah I have no idea. I don't know what the difference is between the two?
Just wanting to know for my own curiosity 🙂
Thanks!
Hi! She's considered a black tortie with white. A calico is a tortie with more white than tortie colours so if a cat is more than 50 to 60 percent white she would be considered a calico. Opinions differ in different cat registries but this is the general rule for a calico.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your pretty cat looks more tortie to me, mottled pattern, the other cat in the lampshade, so cute, is a calico. I was told many times, torties have a mottled pattern and only red and black, and calicos have white and have large patches, like my Sybil, profile pic. However if the cat has mostly black and red and only little white and is mottled I call them a tortie. In your cat's case I would say tortie with white.