Long Haired Cat -> Hairballs -> Vomit : should I shave him ?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old long haired Scottish shed a lot. Being in Miami doesn't help. It's summer constantly.

He never vomited but 2 Times when he expelled an hairball. And after that first vomiting, he would vomit for 3-5 days, food, fluids.

It's like the hairball irritates his intestine and afterwards food is perceived as hair to be expelled.

I'm starting to use Laxatone weekly. Brush him daily.

But I was wondering.

What If I shave him ? Leave only the head, paws and tail with hair ?

Anybody has experience with this ?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So you see hair when he vommits? My cats are short haired so no experience. Since I have started giving my cats the probiotic Proviable DC, my cat Maggie throws up spit and fur once a week or less instead of almost every day. I assume she is fed canned food for the extra moisture?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a long haired, bad tempered Siamese who refused grooming and who had butt issues due to fur sticking there. After one fanny shave we decided to try an all over shave. She didn’t like the process but she loved her short fur and did a much better job of grooming herself. Thereafter for maybe the next ten or twelve years she went to the vet for sedation and a shave once a year. We only stopped when she developed kidney disease and couldn’t handle the sedation any more. You can get cats shaved by groomers but that only works if you have a cat who doesn’t strenuously object to it

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're feeding dry food, switch to an all wet food diet and use dry food as treats. Many times, dry food can cause things to not move so smoothly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
7th throw up since Saturday and finally there is an hairball. The other time there was an hairball was the first vomiting on Saturday morning.

Attachments