Long Hair & Poop Issues

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the right place to put this post or not, but I'll give it a go.

I have 2 5 month old kittens. They are long haired and they are getting poop stuck to the hair around their bottom and then when they sit down they smear the poop on the carpet.

Any good solutions to it? I saw Dr Elseys has a litter for long hair cats, it's like crystals. Is that any good? Any other things I can do?

Thank you for the help!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see how the litter has anything to do with it... Sounds to me your kittens have lose stools - I have 3 long hair cats - 2 ragdolls, and one DLH, and they only get poop stuck on their fur when they have lose stools.
Cat poop, when healthy, are hard enough to go down without sticking to the fur.
Unless.... what they are doing is pooping and immediately sitting down on the poop instead of covering it up, which is extremely rare.
IMHO you should be taking care of the poop situation, and not of the litter. Crystals is not going to d anything for you - the only thing is that the littler itself don't get stuck to the fur; but again, nothing to do with the poop.
What are you feeding them, when was the last time you changed food, when did they get dewormed, when did you get them?

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that if it is sticking that bad that they need to be checked out for the problem that is causing them to have loose poops.

I have a long haired cat and when a bit of poop sticks to his fur it can usually be found just outside of the litterbox, the jump out having knocked it off. Rather than it actually being in the fur itself.

Solve the runny stools and solve your problem. Also getting them used to a little sanitary clipping around that area every now and then doesn't hurt. Not talking about shaving the hair down, but scissoring it a bit shorter.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by apesusi

I don't know if this is the right place to put this post or not, but I'll give it a go.

I have 2 5 month old kittens. They are long haired and they are getting poop stuck to the hair around their bottom and then when they sit down they smear the poop on the carpet.

Any good solutions to it? I saw Dr Elseys has a litter for long hair cats, it's like crystals. Is that any good? Any other things I can do?

Thank you for the help!
Persi has extremely long hair around his behind. I brush him daily and carefully comb that area and comb out all the poop. There is no way that a long haired cat is not going to have this problem but if you will comb him out every single day you should have no problems. Persi likes to be brushed and combed but when I get to his rear I have to hold his head down so he does not nip me. But I keep him clean. I guess the alternative I have seen some suggest is shaving but I refuse to do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Both kittens are going to the vet on Saturday.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Monster has long hair, and I have never had this problem with him, thankfully. When I was litter training him when he was a baby, he would step in it on accident, and all I would do was give him a bath to wash it out. My mom does have this problem with her long haired girl, and she takes her to the groomer for a booty shave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. Kitties went to the vet. I brought a stool sample in for the cat who has had the problem and it tested negative to worms.
They gave me some fortiflora to give him.

I woke up today to find poop smeared all over our futon. I wonder if I should just take the kitten in to get a booty shave until we get this poop thing figured out. He poops and it gets stuck to his fur back there and then it smears when he sits...

*sigh* now to clean the futon.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can either clip the fur yourself or have the vet give them a sanitary shave. Just be VERY careful with the scissors as cats have paper-thin skin.

I can say that Riley had this problem a lot when he was young like that, but rarely has that problem now. Hopefully yours will learn better litter box habits too. Definitely make sure the poop is firm enough. Don't make any sudden food changes.