Long hair care and kitten nail trimming

mistyandares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just adopted a long haired kitten and I have never had anything besides short haired cats. What do I need to know and what are some good brushes? I am also curious on training her to accept nail trimming. My legs and hands are covered in scratches since she loves to climb all over me and is in the kitten wrestle everything phase.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Presently I have nothing but long hairs. Mine like a single treat before nail trimming and a treat hunt after. I use gloves for playtime otherwise I am bleeding from the elbow down. But mine are not kittens. As for brushes, I am no expert but I use a couple, a plastic rake brush which they all love to be brushed with (but doesn't get out a lot of fur) and a stainless steel grooming brush that does a great job of getting off fur but some like and some don't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistyandares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Presently I have nothing but long hairs. Mine like a single treat before nail trimming and a treat hunt after. I use gloves for playtime otherwise I am bleeding from the elbow down. But mine are not kittens. As for brushes, I am no expert but I use a couple, a plastic rake brush which they all love to be brushed with (but doesn't get out a lot of fur) and a stainless steel grooming brush that does a great job of getting off fur but some like and some don't.
I will definitely have to look into those brushes! Right now I just have a wooden comb and a boar’s hair brush that works great for my short hair.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Actually the proper comb is best for longhaired cats. Most of our cats have had long hair including our past and present Persians who can mat easily without regular grooming. The greyhound stainless steel comb is the type many members on the site use for their longhaired cats: Amazon.com
Here is a thread that helps explain why a comb is better to use for longhaired cats: Struggling with Maine Coon grooming - please help!

mistyandares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually the proper comb is best for longhaired cats. Most of our cats have had long hair including our past and present Persians who can mat easily without regular grooming. The greyhound stainless steel comb is the type many members on the site use for their longhaired cats: Amazon.com
Here is a thread that helps explain why a comb is better to use for longhaired cats: Struggling with Maine Coon grooming - please help!
Thank you! That is super helpful, I will be sure to order one!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wait until the kitten was sleeping or very sleepy to do nail trims. Brushing is also best done when they are getting tired or seem ready to settle down for some cuddling.

mistyandares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to wait until the kitten was sleeping or very sleepy to do nail trims. Brushing is also best done when they are getting tired or seem ready to settle down for some cuddling.
I’ll have to try that!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitten?With all kittens it is best to familiarize them first with a small brush- even a tooth or nail brush - it doesn't matter that it doesn't do much to detangle or that it's not the appropriate grooming tool for the moment- you want you cat to LOVE being brushed and there's no reason they shouldn't if you start out introducing a ' kitten"to something pleasurable

You begin showing it to them and gently grazing across their tiny cheeks and then let them brush their own little faces against the brush - I never met a kitten that didn't love it when they are shown to do it themselves

Then you can move towards their neck,under the ears,onto the shoulders and down the back to the tip of their tails- as each day passes you go a little further allowing them to rub along the brush for their face and sides - after they are all excited the moment you say ' brush " or they see it you can use the proper tools for the job and onto combs.... Doesn't take long at all

I harness and lead train from as early as possible and nail trimming is quite easy with a harnessed kitty on your lap with the lead under your leg- this gives you freedom of both hands not having to restrain kitty with your arms --- kittens will usually tolerate a few tootsies on one front paw before they've had enough so only start with a couple ,reward with a treat & high praise and get a few more the next day----- I start with clipping one nail but yet go through the motions of all of them and showing them the clipper - the kittens try to bite the clipper ,lol- not me.... I'm just playing and petting their toes

Hope that helps- kittens are so much fun and so very easy- it's the big ones who had bad experiences or no good experiences that make it tough

mistyandares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitten?With all kittens it is best to familiarize them first with a small brush- even a tooth or nail brush - it doesn't matter that it doesn't do much to detangle or that it's not the appropriate grooming tool for the moment- you want you cat to LOVE being brushed and there's no reason they shouldn't if you start out introducing a ' kitten"to something pleasurable

You begin showing it to them and gently grazing across their tiny cheeks and then let them brush their own little faces against the brush - I never met a kitten that didn't love it when they are shown to do it themselves

Then you can move towards their neck,under the ears,onto the shoulders and down the back to the tip of their tails- as each day passes you go a little further allowing them to rub along the brush for their face and sides - after they are all excited the moment you say ' brush " or they see it you can use the proper tools for the job and onto combs.... Doesn't take long at all

I harness and lead train from as early as possible and nail trimming is quite easy with a harnessed kitty on your lap with the lead under your leg- this gives you freedom of both hands not having to restrain kitty with your arms --- kittens will usually tolerate a few tootsies on one front paw before they've had enough so only start with a couple ,reward with a treat & high praise and get a few more the next day----- I start with clipping one nail but yet go through the motions of all of them and showing them the clipper - the kittens try to bite the clipper ,lol- not me.... I'm just playing and petting their toes

Hope that helps- kittens are so much fun and so very easy- it's the big ones who had bad experiences or no good experiences that make it tough
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try the harness trick! My kitten is about 10 weeks old and loves the brush already but is definitely unsure about nail trimming.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine used to it when kittens, but some were older and were harder, especially wizard so I try to do it with them sitting laying down while holding paw, not them on my lap.
Quinn, my Siamese hooligan, I started him when he was a kitten, but he became very difficult and it’s really a struggle so I have to sneak up on him when he’s half asleep or do it when he’s lying in bed with me and hope he lets me do it.

Any good cat claw clipper is ok. Just be sure to not cut the quick, and do it fast so they don’t get fed up. You can give treats too. I give a treat after usually.

He loves to lay on me and knead my arm when I go to sleep- he does it very hard- I can get scratchy marks all over me, etc. and it hurts. Ouch!

he’s a shoulder cat too, and he digs his claws in me so he knows if he doesn’t let me clip his clothes. He doesn’t get to ride on me unless I have a sweater or coat on.

My untouchable cats I ask the DVM to do it when they go there and they are sedated for the visit anyway.

I remember last time, though they were trying to charge me $40 to trim the nails on a sedated cat so I said forget it lol! I can’t remember which one it was now.

As for a long haired cat, a greyhound stainless steel comb and a slicker brush are what I use. I have used furminators in the past, but with Xena I’m cautious because he seems to lose more hair that way. Unfortunately my long hair kitties both hate/ hated being brushed. So I only do it like once a week usually. And Sybil, I used to shave in the spring which controlled fleas and mats.
Never try to cut a mat out of a long hair cat’s fur without having the comb below the mat because you can cut into their skin without even realizing it.

Try to bath her too to get her used to it, in case you need to do it for health reasons at some point.

Last edited:

mistyandares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got mine used to it when kittens, but some were older and were harder, especially wizard so I try to do it with them sitting laying down while holding paw, not them on my lap.
Quinn, my Siamese hooligan, I started him when he was a kitten, but he became very difficult and it’s really a struggle so I have to sneak up on him when he’s half asleep or do it when he’s lying in bed with me and hope he lets me do it.

Any good cat claw clipper is ok. Just be sure to not cut the quick, and do it fast so they don’t get fed up. You can give treats too. I give a treat after usually.

He loves to lay on me and knead my arm when I go to sleep- he does it very hard- I can get scratchy marks all over me, etc. and it hurts. Ouch!

he’s a shoulder cat too, and he digs his claws in me so he knows if he doesn’t let me clip his clothes. He doesn’t get to ride on me unless I have a sweater or coat on.

My untouchable cats I ask the DVM to do it when they go there and they are sedated for the visit anyway.

I remember last time, though they were trying to charge me $40 to trim the nails on a sedated cat so I said forget it lol! I can’t remember which one it was now.

As for a long haired cat, a greyhound stainless steel comb and a slicker brush are what I use. I have used furminators in the past, but with Xena I’m cautious because he seems to lose more hair that way. Unfortunately my long hair kitties both hate/ hated being brushed. So I only do it like once a week usually. And Sybil, I used to shave in the spring which controlled fleas and mats.
Never try to cut a mat out of a long hair cat’s fur without having the comb below the mat because you can cut into their skin without even realizing it.

Try to bath her too to get her used to it, in case you need to do it for health reasons at some point.
My kitten also loves shoulder riding lol. I never thought about bathing, I will have to look into that!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try the harness trick! My kitten is about 10 weeks old and loves the brush already but is definitely unsure about nail trimming.
Wonderful ,as it should be-theres no reason a kitten shouldn't love getting groomed when exposed and familiarized with such a feel good experience early on

Nail trimming as well,it's not anyone's favorite thing we do but everyone is co- operative and well behaved( now I must figure out something for my most recent adoptee,he's 8yrs old and was feral only one year ago)that may be challenging ,lol

Nice meeting you

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten also loves shoulder riding lol. I never thought about bathing, I will have to look into that!
Unless a kitty is covered in grease there's really no reason to bathe as daily brushing and combing is both good for the skin and runs their natural oils through their coat ,keeping their fur meticulously clean and healthy.....

Actually ,do some research on how humans used to keep their hair and scalp clean as well,long before soaps and shampoos became popular

They used the finest combs- my great grandmother( from Sicily) never washed her hair in her entire life- she wore a braided bun and every night would comb her hair at least 100 strokes- her hair was to her knees and smelled like a newborn powdered baby