Long (delayed?) birthing

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pregnant cat had seem to start birthing yesterday. Meowing, pacing, licking her vulva but she calmed down by herself and it’s been over 12 hours now and she’s starting again. Some fluid does leak but it also has brown bits in it . She seems to not mind moving around (following me). She is also willing to eat as she ate a bit of my other cats food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also have a tight hard stomach

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok the brown stuff might have been the mucus plug. She is also now pushing a bit.

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s been straining for an hour now, she gets distracted easily from pushing

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please give me advice we already went to the vet and it’s been over 24 hours and she still hasn’t given birth.I don’t know what to do next all the vets are closed now.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going now? What was her diet like during pregnancy (calcium levels are important)? I would keep her in a quiet place with the least amount of stress (away from noise, busy activity, etc) just as you would expect in a hospital ward. However, try to visit her often and keep the room warm.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , StefanZ StefanZ , di and bob di and bob FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ...any thoughts?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is your cat now? This may be an emergency and she may need a C-section to save her kittens. Please get her to a vet right away if you haven’t already. bunnyowner bunnyowner

She may have dystocia, which is when contractions are not strong enough to expel the kittens. Or a deceased kitten may be stuck in the birth canal and blocking everything. The brown discharge is not a good sign.

Please get her to a vet ASAP!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please give me advice we already went to the vet and it’s been over 24 hours and she still hasn’t given birth.I don’t know what to do next all the vets are closed now.
Im late, I do hope its OK new.... Anyway, when waiting for the vet, try to get into her anything calcium rich you can get into her... For example egg shells crushed into fine powder if you dont have something better.

Because low calcium lewel may cause weak labor...
And overall care as already suggested...

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying, we were going to go for a c section as early as we can this morning but she managed to get a breeched baby mostly out with only its head in. My mom helped her deliver the kitten but unfortunately the kitten had passed. Now we are waiting to see if she delivers the other kittens on her own.

Last edited by a moderator:

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We actually visited the vet yesterday afternoon but she only got 2 shots, one for dilation and a supplement. I only started panicking because I waited 5 more hours for no kittens.

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have gone to the vet and now she’s in surgery. We will hospitalize her as I don’t have a space with sterile environment and can’t go to the vet easily in emergencies. The vet said there is movement from the kittens but since it’s been a long time he cannot tell if they are going to survive. I don’t mind as long as mom is okay. Now praying no complications occur.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry. This is what I feared without an immediate C-section, yet it is so difficult to know when to do what. I think you are lucky that mom is doing well and that she will have one living kitten to raise.

This will also help her to recover — tending to a kitten. But if she is unable to nurse for a few days following her surgery, you must supplement with kitten formula and a syringe.

Let us know if you need help with supplementing the kitten, and I hope mom will be home soon and feeling better. Please keep us updated.

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry. This is what I feared without an immediate C-section, yet it is so difficult to know when to do what. I think you are lucky that mom is doing well and that she will have one living kitten to raise.

This will also help her to recover — tending to a kitten. But if she is unable to nurse for a few days following her surgery, you must supplement with kitten formula and a syringe.

Let us know if you need help with supplementing the kitten, and I hope mom will be home soon and feeling better. Please keep us updated.
Yes I’m planning to supplement the kitten (if it survives, quite weak shallow breathing) and take care of its cleaning needs and bathroom needs. I’ve had experience doing this at least with a runt from a previous litter.

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it was having trouble latching last night but it was mewing and moving around very lively they even had to block the door with towels so she doesn’t. The mom was so good and didn’t even move to eat because she was nursing. The kitten latched well now. The vets taking care of her said she’s a very good mom. She’ll be brought back when the kitten is a bit better which might only take a day now.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking your kitty to the vet in time - I know that with worldwide inflation an extra expense can be a hardship but you were willing to be proactive and meet the challenges head on. I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 that having one of her babies remaining will help your cat heal. Please continue to keep us updated - your cat's case is more common that we'd like & your case may encourage others who are cruising this forum to follow your lead.

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
unfortunately the kitten passed away this morning because the mom started rejecting her. I thought in this case that they would start bottle feeding but they let her die I think. I’m not sure how to feel