London Naturals

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! The other day I saw a brand of food I'm totally unfamiliar with at London Drugs. I guess it's their store brand, and it seems like they're trying to capitalize on the idea of quality pet food with the whole "Meat First" name of the product. I don't have a ton of experience analyzing pet foods, and couldn't find any reviews on the forum or elsewhere of this product so I figured I would ask and see what some of the experts here think!

Here is a link to the product, and I've copied the ingredient list below.

Chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, hulled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, A source of vitamin E), pacific ocean fish meal, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), fish oil, chicken flavour, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, yeast extract ( A source of manno-oligosaccharides), chlorine chloride, DL-methionine, taurine, minerals (ferrous sulphate, proteinated zinc, proteinated copper, proteinated maganese, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate), vitamins ( vitamin E, niacin, vitamin B12, vitaminD3, thiamine, vitamin A, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, biotin, pryidoxine, vitamin K (menadione nicotinamide bisulphite), folic acid), rosemary extract

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My opinion is that it has too many unneccesary fillers. Cats really don’t need oatmeal, yeast extract, and barley and actually can potentially react to them with stomach upset/vomiting. I also wouldn’t feed anything with fish in it on a regular basis as it’s a common cause of food insensitivities and has been linked to other illnesses down the road.

I couldn’t find a guaranteed analysis for it but I’m assuming it’s high in carbs and low in protein like most dry foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Neo_23 Neo_23 ! That definitely makes sense. I am still in researching foods stages and my hopes weren’t extraordinarily high for this food but curiosity got ahold of me when I couldn’t find any reviews so I figured I would ask anyway. I appreciate your response!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Neo_23 Neo_23 ! That definitely makes sense. I am still in researching foods stages and my hopes weren’t extraordinarily high for this food but curiosity got ahold of me when I couldn’t find any reviews so I figured I would ask anyway. I appreciate your response!
No problem, it’s good that you’re looking into healthy foods for your furbaby. Just curious- are you also looking into feeding wet food? Honestly there are probably only 2 good dry foods on the market that are actually low in carbs and high in meat protein (I have done a ton of research on this in the past). Plus all dry food is dangerously low in moisture. If you’re interested in picking the healthiest option for your pet I would recommend looking into an all canned diet if you can afford it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually don’t have a cat of my own yet- I’m a university student and next academic year I’ll be moving to a pet friendly place, and am researching and planning with the hopes of getting a cat. I’m planning on feeding wet food for one meal and dry food for one meal, to compromise nutrition and budgeting. I have a couple brands in mind per stuff I’ve read on this forum - I will probably make a thread about it closer to when I adopt my cat! :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually don’t have a cat of my own yet- I’m a university student and next academic year I’ll be moving to a pet friendly place, and am researching and planning with the hopes of getting a cat. I’m planning on feeding wet food for one meal and dry food for one meal, to compromise nutrition and budgeting. I have a couple brands in mind per stuff I’ve read on this forum - I will probably make a thread about it closer to when I adopt my cat! :)
Sounds good. It's awesome that you're doing research and planning before you adopt. We need more cat parents like you.:rock:

If you have an interest in feline nutrition I would highly recommend reading catinfo.org. It's written by a veterinarian and feline nutritionist. Most vets unfortunately don't have a lot of expertise in nutrition, but Dr. Lisa Pierson is one of the leading feline nutritionists in the States.