Logistics of Feeding Canned Food to Three Cats

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be a really stupid question, but here goes. I am adopting a third cat and want to know how to split up the cans now. Carrot and Angua used to share a 3oz of food morning and evening or 3oz of the six ounce cans that we have of Weruva. 

Do I just open two 3oz cans and divide those between all three cats? This would make it so that they each get slightly more (2oz instead of 1.5oz). Or constantly open two cans but still feed each cat 1.5 oz each leaving half of a can in the fridge?

How do those of you with odd numbers of cats divide food?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think I'd just open the extra can and let them all have a little bit more. I don't like storing cat food in the fridge as a lot of my cats will throw up if they're given something too cold to eat.

You could always divide two cans between three cats for one meal and one can between them all for another if you're worried about over feeding. That way they'd still be getting 3oz daily, just in one large and one small meal rather than 2 medium sized portions.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unlike Norachan Norachan , my guys have no issues with refrigerated food...and for two, it's easy enough to raise the temperature by adding a touch of water from a freshly boiled kettle (something that would quickly become a logistical nightmare with 20+ bowls to deal with :lol: ). I almost always have cat food in the fridge, especially as Shadow is ultra fussy about what he'll eat (usually the most expensive brand available :rolleyes::king: ) whereas Asha will eat a wider range of foods (and is currently working through the spare cans of Shadow's rejects :evilgrin: ).

I'm not sure I'd want to increase the food per meal, especially if Carrot and Angua are both maintaining at healthy weights on their current diet - that extra ounce a day will add up over time, and it's FAR easier to prevent weight gain than it is to achieve weight loss...imo, anyway ;) Remember that Norachan's cats have outside access too, so will likely use more energy than our indoor only guys do ;)

Just my :2cts:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My step mom used to add water and micro wave cold food for 10-20 second to take the chill off they had1( stray moved in ) then 2 second stray but he died so they got kitten ;then 3 kept a kitten then 4 (found tinykitten in road in the rain: then 6 ( two of mine I left my mom's home with then ened up living there for a year and crossing country for college so they were 11 and 12 years when they started getting warm left overs) cats until they slowly aged their way down to zero not sure why no more cats. Maybe the microwaving wet food twice a day was to much

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This might be a really stupid question, but here goes. I am adopting a third cat and want to know how to split up the cans now. Carrot and Angua used to share a 3oz of food morning and evening or 3oz of the six ounce cans that we have of Weruva. 

Do I just open two 3oz cans and divide those between all three cats? This would make it so that they each get slightly more (2oz instead of 1.5oz). Or constantly open two cans but still feed each cat 1.5 oz each leaving half of a can in the fridge?

How do those of you with odd numbers of cats divide food?
I have three cats and we split 2 3oz cans of food between the 3 of them each feeding. When all 3 are done eating we pick up the bowls, scrape whatever is left into one bowl and leave it out for them to munch on later (I have one cat that likes to graze, so she eats only a little at a time and comes back for more later, which is why we leave it out). You can also refrigerate the extras and then heat them up in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.