locking up kitten for litter training

tourmaline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 week old kitten that I have had for a week. When he is locked in the bathroom he uses the litter box by himself. When he has run of the two bedroom apartment he has accidents. We have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes. I have a couple of questions: is it normal for a 7 week old kitten to still be learning? He was taken from his mother because she couldn't feed her kittens and they were bottle fed. Also, I feel really bad leaving him in the bathroom when I'm not able to watch him (when I'm at work or sleeping). Is locking him up bad for him? Also, is there anything I can do to help him learn to use the litter box? I'm using low sided litter boxes with unscented corn litter. Thanks!

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your doing the right thing by confining him with his litter box. I've had to do the same thing with several of my kittens. He is very young and is probably just forgetting where the litter is or gets playing to hard when he has accidents. I've posted under "kitty is peeing in the bathtub" in this forum, on how I have confined kitties with their litter, and that should help you also. I know you mentioned you already have 3 litter boxes, but put another temporary litter box out in the open where he is when he's not in the bathroom, like the living room, or kitchen so he can find it right away and doesnt have to go looking for it. Good luck!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chances are, he's not able to make it to the litter box in time, and that is what is causing the accidents. Cats much prefer using litter boxes--covering is a natural instinct--and they, generally, don't enjoy going on the floor.
Make sure you have litterboxes in pretty much every room if you're going to let the kitten roam the house.
I found, when Oliver was a little kitten, it was helpful to just put him in the litterbox about once an hour or so to see if he had to tinkle. Also, if you have stairs in your home, make sure there are litterboxes on every floor--kittens that little generally can't make it up and down the stairs that quickly.
These little guys' bladders are just so small, they have to use the litterbox more often than you would think.
Perhaps there is a room that is bigger than the bathroom but still pretty small that you could keep kitty in until he/she is big enough to make it to the litterbox in time?
A spare bedroom, perhaps? Oliver lived in our bedroom until he was about 4 months old and I was sure he could make it up and down the stairs--we lived in a 2 floor townhouse.

Good luck, and if all else fails, please consult your vet for the best ideas on how to help kitty be fully litterbox trained

kittycatlover24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an eight week old kitten and i litter trained her in the dining room where i could keep an eye on her. I shut off all the doors to my other rooms so she wouldn't go in there and she's doing great. You could try maybe letting her know where the other two litter boxes are. So she can use one of those or you can try moving the litter box to an more open area so she knows where it is. If all this doesn't work, you might want to consult a vet or do some research on theinternet about litter training
I hope everything works out for you.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Think of your kitten as a toddler who is learning to use the potty, they tend to wait till the last mintue and then don't make it, or they get busy playing an can't make it. With kitten's I highly recommend numerous litter box's in easy reach, because using the litterbox is something you want highly reinforced.