Lock Down Project

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been keeping myself occupied lately with a project so that I'm not tempted to go outside too often. I decided to rebuild the deck. Here's a picture of the house with the original deck.
Newhouse1.jpg

At first my plan was to clean off and repaint the deck, then fix the broken steps. When I took the steps down I realised the whole deck was rotten.
LDP1.jpg

It came down so easily!
LDP2.jpg

Because of the water pipes that run under the deck I had to keep some of the original supporting beams and the concrete blocks in place. This was at the end of the first day. The cats were able to get in and out and Herman, our friendly raccoon, had his water and food outside.
LDP3.jpg

We were able to recycle a lot of the timber. We also had some boards given to us. This was the result.
LDP25.jpg

Once we had painted everything, cleaned it off and planted flowers it looked a bit better
LDP7_R.jpg

I hung the hammock up too.
LDP22_R.jpg

The cats got their own deck box for napping in, which has since been filled with straw, and a ladder so the older ones can get in and out easily.
LDP8_R.jpg

I also rebuilt the tree house. It got damaged in a typhoon last year, but now it has a new roof, a new set of legs and a new position above the cherry trees.
LDP31_R.jpg

I've filled it with straw and attached a ladder to this side.
LDP30_R.jpg

Carpet in the tree house.
LDP35.jpg

Does anyone else have a lock down project to show us?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What ambitious projects! Beautiful job. I LOVE the tree house with the 'No Dogs' sign. :clapcat:

My project was cleaning. I got on a roll steam cleaning the big area rugs in the entry, living room, and dining room, washing and airing out futons and pillows, cleaning baseboards and wood floors while I had all the furniture out of the way.

Not fun exactly, :lol2: but satisfying to get a deep spring cleaning done. :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele wants to paint the living room, so I have had to repair the cracked plaster first. We sent away for a kit designed just for that purpose, and I just got done using it. Now I have to wait 48 hours for the adhesive to dry so I can fill the holes that I drilled with joint compound, and then if the paint store has reopened we can do that part. Fun, wow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's amazing!! Are you an architect?
LOL. Nope, just a regular gal with power tools.
Question though, how do you keep the pipes from freezing in the winter? Are they wrapped in insulation?
Yes, they wrapped and there is an electric wire around the pipe that keeps it from freezing. It automatically switches on when the temperature drops below zero to warm the water in the pipe. One year we had a power cut in the middle of winter and even the water in the toilet froze.
:cold:
I wish I was handy like that, but I'm more of the happy homemaker cooking/cleaning/loving/shopping type.
Well, there's a lot of good to be said about that. I'm a terrible cook. Really, truly terrible.
Michele wants to paint the living room, so I have had to repair the cracked plaster first.
But you're pretty good at carpentry, aren't you? I'd love to see some pictures of things you've made. Especially if there are cats in the pictures.
:lovecat3:
It’s as if it grew there! Magical.
Thank you! I'll post more pictures as the rest of the enclosure brightens up. It's looking a bit dull out there after winter, but we usually get loads of wild flowers in June and July.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I did my project (putting together the cabinet) but it turns out I need a mallet to hammer down the top! It doesn't say that anywhere in the manual, so I definitely don't just have one lying around 😭
cabinet1.jpg
IMG_3970.jpg

I also made a little collage for my sheet music binder for drum school (which turned out better than I thought it would):
IMG_3971.jpg