Location Of Litter Boxes?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens - 5 months and 11 weeks. The younger kitten was sick when I rescued him and was isolated in a bedroom. He has now integrated with the older and I now have one litter box with Cat Attract litter in the family room which he uses. I have 2 boxes in the basement for the older cat which she uses. I moved the extra box from the bedroom to the basement beside the other boxes in the hopes he will start to go there. Should I have done that or should I locate his boxes in a different area of the basement. I do not mind having multiple boxes but I eventually would like them all in the basement. He still has the one in the family room currently. Thoughts appreciated!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep at least one box upstairs. Is there a cat flap in the basement door? If not, if the door is somehow accidentally closed, the cats won't have access to their litter boxes. Or they may be locked down there. Scooping the litter boxes at least twice daily will keep odors down, if that is why you prefer all the boxes in the basement. A litter box isn't the best thing to look at for guests but there are ways to hide litter boxes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was the kitten still using the litter box in the bedroom? If not, then it's probably ok gone. If he was, then I'd put it back there until he's a bit older, and you know for sure he's using the other litter boxes.

As for location of litter boxes, if the cats are getting along ok, then together should be fine, and you'll likely notice they both use all the boxes. With 2 cats, the "rule" would be 3 litter boxes (1 per cat, plus 1) but that many isn't always necessary.

Is the 5 month old spayed yet? If not, you should probably think about that in the next month or so.

Here's a few TCS articles on litter boxes that may be helpful:
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Litter Box Location Secrets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she is spayed. The younger stopped using the one in the bedroom so I did remove that one, since my daughter will be home next week. Our basement door stays wide open, so not a risk to close it (well barely none). I usually put a small stopper in the door to stop it from totally closing. I will keep the one in the family room for awhile. I do clean it frequently.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually put a small stopper in the door to stop it from totally closing.
As LTS3 LTS3 mentioned, a cat flap door might be a good idea in the basement door.

I have this one, and it looks pretty good, and was easy to install.
amazon.com/Perfect-Pet-Telescoping-Frame-Medium/dp/B0035Q65W8/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1549291933&sr=8-25&keywords=cat+flap+doors+for+interior+doors

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there should be atleast 1 litterbox per floor (would you want to do stairs everyday just to go to the bathroom??)

Here are some other guidelines:
1. Each should be placed where a cat can use it as an aid in maintaining her territory.
2. Each should be in a different room.
3. They should be easy to access.
4. They should not be in small, enclosed areas that do not have multiple escape routes.
5. They should be kept away from food and water.