Local SW Pa Town, Export, illegal to feed strays and ferals!

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently a local town in SW Pennsylvania made it a crime to feed or care for feral cats. The town, Export, would rather fine and make criminals out of the local senior citizens, children and their families, and anyone else that would rather feed a cat than let it suffer thru the cold winters. A local University has been studying different computer simulations that help to predict what is the best way to deal with them:

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/9715572-74/cats-cat-feral

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/9838679-74/cats-feral-ireland

This whole mess started with a family in Export that had a lot of cats and had been feeding/caring for a small feral colony and one of his neighbors was upset because they didn't like the cats coming into their yard. Get city council involved and now everyone that helps this group of ferals is essentially a criminal. TNR or other programs weren't considered. Its a shame that people don't take the time to do whats right and instead make a dumb law that doesn't help to fix the problem in any way, other than to force the cats to starve and suffer...all the while they continue to breed and increase their population.

Members should feel free to contact the officials in Export and let them know how we feel about this mess.

Jim M

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a law too, here in McCook, NE, that prohibits the feeding of feral animals, which is mainly aimed at cats. The city council tried to pass a law that wanted 50.00/yr. to license cats too, but this caused such an uproar it was defeated. We even had a billboard on main street that stated "$50.00 to Lisence a Cat! ARE YOU NUTS!!!"  There was a trap set in a park for a colony of ferals with a sign next to it that stated it was against the law to feed feral cats.I put my own sign next to it ....... KILLING IS NOT THE WAY TO HANDLE THE PROBLEM! PLEASE USE TNR,TRAP- NEUTER- RELEASE. LOOK INTO IT! We finally got a humane shelter administrator that tries very hard, but the city still kills when they think there is a problem, I wish the newspaper would publish a picture of the killed kittens, it may stop this senseless slaughter. My heart breaks for those innocent animals, they have a hard enough life as it is. In the meantime I have offered my help and my money for a TNR program, and I think we are gaining support!