Lizard Droppings

LillysMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lily got into mischief again. She is a 100% indoor cat, but I live in a condo that has a screened balcony. Off the balcony is a small storage room which unfortunately seems to be a refuge for common Florida lizards. Not sure where they come from -- there must be some sort of hole in the wall. I am totally sure that these are lizards and not mice or rats.

Anyway, this morning I noticed lizard droppings on the balcony floor through the sliding glass door, and as I picked up the broom to go sweep up the mess Lily ran past me and ATE a bunch of droppings! UGH! She was much too fast for me to stop her. I then pushed her inside, closed the glass door and proceeded with my sweeping.

I know that eating lizards can be dangerous for cats, but are lizard droppings dangerous too? Obviously I'm going to watch her and take her to the vet if I notice anything unusual, but I wanted to run this by you expert cat lovers in the meantime.
From 12-inch ribbons to lizard poop, Lily eats it all, yikes! :gaah::runaround::dunno:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Over the course of having 3 cats - all who hang/hung out on my screened in patio, I never saw one of them specifically eat lizard poop. But, based on numerous tailless lizards on my patio (I guess the ones that got away), and an equally large amount of various body parts/skeletal remains in my house, I would be willing to bet each of them ate their fair share of at least some lizard sections!!
:barfgreen: And, maybe there is a reason I never saw lizard poop all over my patio!! (Hmmm :think:)

I never thought about it being dangerous to them! At least for me, thankfully it wasn't/hasn't been, or they never ate enough to hurt them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LillysMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Over the course of having 3 cats - all who hang/hung out on my screened in patio, I never saw one of them specifically eat lizard poop. But, based on numerous tailless lizards on my patio (I guess the ones that got away), and an equally large amount of various body parts/skeletal remains in my house, I would be willing to bet each of them ate their fair share of at least some lizard sections!!
:barfgreen: And, maybe there is a reason I never saw lizard poop all over my patio!! (Hmmm :think:)

I never thought about it being dangerous to them! At least for me, thankfully it wasn't/hasn't been, or they never ate enough to hurt them!
Thank you for your reply! I had no idea about lizards/some lizards being dangerous to cats until I started googling today! I'm glad to hear that none of your cats ever showed any ill effects from eating lizards... and maybe lizard poop too. Ugh! :barfgreen::eek3::barfgreen:

Never a dull moment with our furbabies, huh? :):heartshape: