Living with Fcov

Axlo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have two cats living all his life happily and healthy (one is 7 and other is 8 years old) but the 8 yeras old passed away with acute heart attack about a month ago all of sudden. Long story short, after two weeks happened, I brought home 2 new kittens and they are brothers. Both very playful and eating well, but on of the brother been having diarrhea since, after some blood works and vet visits, I found out one of the kitten is having Fcov.
Now the question I have is, i am very sure they both carrying fcov and one of them is totally fine, but I am worry about my 7 years cat will get infected and will get very sick from it.
Does anyone here have the similar situation, and any suggestions I can do? Because so far the two kittens still living in the garage and I would like to introduce to my 7 years old.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FcoV (Feline coronavirus) is endemic at this point. Last number I heard is somewhere around 80% of the world's cat population has it. I know for sure one of my three has it, but not sure about the other two. It does mean your cat is at risk if FIP but that's a fairly low risk. As the kittens get older, they will get stronger and the risk for FIP will decrease.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with Fcov is that low stress is a good thing for their health. Because stress weakens their immune system and makes them more at risk for other illness. Fcov does impact digestion to a degree as well so good nutrition and food can help keep their systems healthy too. But both of these statements could also be applied to all cats in general.

Long story short, keep your home low stress, feed them good food, and they will grow up to be healthy cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Axlo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can totally living with the two kittens, i am just worry about my 7 years old will get infected from them

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can totally living with the two kittens, i am just worry about my 7 years old will get infected from them
Chances are your 7 year old has had it for several years without you knowing. If he doesn't, adult systems fight it off better then kittens so his risk is fairly low.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll repeat your 7 year old may already be carrying FCoV, as most cats in the world do. You can get him tested at the clinic.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is true that at least 80% of cats carry the FCoV virus. It is also true of that 80%, under 10% ever have it mutate to FIP. If your 7yo is otherwise healthy, he should be fine one way or other at this stage of his life. It is more common for kittens/cats under the age of 2yo to have the virus mutate since they are still developing their immune systems. Likewise for older cats - generally older than your 7yo - whose immune systems weaken with age.

I would work on boosting all of your cats' immune systems as many people do regardless of FCoV - and, in your case especially the kitten with the diarrhea. Keeping this kitten well hydrated (diarrhea can be dehydrating), well fed, and administering treatments to help resolve the diarrhea are your best bets at this time.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Axlo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been thinking what is the best options for all of us, I don't want to risk my 8 yeras old health at the sametime would like to keep the two kittens, is not much information I can find online. The worst come to worst I might consider finding a new home for the kitten, so I won't risk my 8 years old health. (I just had a 9 years old cat passes away because of acute heart attack about a month ago, that's why I am worry about my 8 years old's health so much)
But thanks for all the suggestions and information, it helps alot to make a better decision. 🙏