Living With A Kittens And A Lizard

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am planning to get a pair of bonded kittens. In my apartment, I have a pet lizard that live in a secure enclosure so it can't escape. The enclosure has a mesh screen on top, however. I fear that the kittens may jump on the terrarium and cause the mesh lid to collapse. There is also a VERY hot ceramic heater on the lid, that I do not want the cat bumping into. This terrarium is currently raised on top of my drawers. But I think the kittens can climb that. Is there any way I can prevent them from hurting themselves and the lizard?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you possible put a shelf on the wall over the terrarium? Low enough so kittens can’t squeeze through but high enough so the terrarium gets a bit of air.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try to see if I can make that work. In the mean time though, are there any other suggestions? Also, since we're speaking about keeping cats off of things, can I still keep up my glass ornaments, or do I have to take those down? Maybe there's some type of technique that would keep the kittens off both the enclosure and my other valuables?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you possible put a shelf on the wall over the terrarium? Low enough so kittens can’t squeeze through but high enough so the terrarium gets a bit of air.
i've done that, but not with the kind of lid the op is talking about. it might build up too much heat. the shelf could offer more air flow if it were a wire shelf, though.

just curious - what kind of lizard is it?

btw, i've never found a way to keep kittens and cats off anything.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens and young cats are impulsive and they jump without thinking so anything they can reach may be jumped on and that process in itself can knock things down or off. So personally I wouldn’t trust a cat with glass items. If you can’t bear to put them away then using Velcro to stick them down might save them.

Your cats may jump less on your stuff if they have high cat trees that they are allowed on but if there is something really interesting like a lizard in a terrarium they are going to do their best to get at it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Congrats on your pending kitten adoption. :bouquet:

I've never had cats and lizards, so don't know much about how well they co-exist. TCS does have this short article that mentions lizards, that might be helpful: Cats And Pet Reptiles

Also, since we're speaking about keeping cats off of things, can I still keep up my glass ornaments, or do I have to take those down?
To be on the safe side, I'd take them down. Both to ensure they don't get broken, especially if they are something you don't want to lose. But also to keep the kitties safe from broken glass.

Most cats are climbers, especially when they're kittens and light enough to climb everything, including curtains, so you will definitely have to kitten proof your home before they move in.

Here's a couple more TCS articles:
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite
How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables

Are these your first ever cats? If so, we have some articles just for "first time cat parents", which I can post if you want to read them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've done that, but not with the kind of lid the op is talking about. it might build up too much heat. the shelf could offer more air flow if it were a wire shelf, though.

just curious - what kind of lizard is it?

btw, i've never found a way to keep kittens and cats off anything.
It's a crested gecko. It hides most of the time so it won't really be out for the cat to see. Expect in the night- the lizard comes out of hiding at night for several hours.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a crested gecko. It hides most of the time so it won't really be out for the cat to see. Expect in the night- the lizard comes out of hiding at night for several hours.
cool - i had house geckos who also only came out at night.