Living with a FeLV positive kitten, One young healthy cat and One Old cat

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody, about a month ago, a little kitten was given to me by a coworker. This tiny kitten got into her car and she took him home, only to realize she wasn't ready for a new pet after her doggy past away. 

This was a black kitten, and we know black kitten have less chances to be adopted than other colors.

My case, I lost my Yanny about 3 months ago (the black beauty on my profile pic). I said I wanted no more cats, but this tiny baby needed someone badly and he was BLACK, like my so much adored Yanny.

I decided to find him a home but meanwhile take care of him. I took him to the vet to have him checked, wormed and vaccinated and got the horrible news. he has feline leukemia. Harmless to humans and other animals, contagious to cats....

Been doing research after research; No, I will not euthanize him. Yes, I know he will not live for a long time. Somebody in this wonderful site suggested a blog about this kitten and my experience, so today, I am starting this post. It may, it may not help, but for someone out there with my same problem, it will be good to know... you are not alone.

Gigio is about 4 months old black short hair kitten; loves to eat, sleep and cuddle. And this post is dedicated to him. Right now, since he has a sniffing problem I have him on Clavamox. I've been told to give the antibiotic between 7 to 14 days.

He does not share litter box, on our house are pee-pee pads (that's a different story) with my other cats. If he drinks water from the big bowl, we wash it right away and replace it. He doesn't share food either with my other 2. How I do this? Minu eats dry food only on top of the dinning table (too high for Gigio). Lucky eats wet food, so we can easily supervise when he eats. Gigio? he eats wet food, cooked chicken, cooked etc, ready for this? ON MY BED! Yeah you can laugh, I placed a plastic bed protector and I place his plate there. My other cats don't go into my bed unless I'm there, they consider my bed as Yanny's sanctuary. After Yanny past away my bed is still out limits for them not because I said or did something, maybe Yanny's doing something from the other side, who knows? but it works out perfectly well when is chow time for Gigio (every time he is awake). My mother lives with me, so the other 2 are usually on her bed, also every morning Gigio leaves my bed to go to sleep on my mom's head lol.

Well, time to feed my crowd, need to go, you know who's the boss!!!

Oh I wanted to share this article, it helped me, hope it will help someone else... http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2011/09/13/understanding-felv-loving-and-living-with-felv-cats-2/

Gigio and I 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is great.  Keep up the good work. 

for a long life for Giglio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gigio sleeps all day, he wakes up, eat a bit and goes back to sleep. Something sweet I would like to share; today when I got home for lunch, I silently went to the bathroom, suddenly I heard a meaw and saw him coming to the bathroom (never close the door if I'm alone, Yanny didn't like it, so she trained me that way). Also, when I returned home in the afternoon, after work, he lifted his head when he heard the door. Right now, he's sleeping on my neck.
His lack of energy worries me, he's so little. When I got him, he was skin and bones, very malnourished. He has gained some weight, but I still can feel his bones. Every day I wonder if he will live another day, so far, he's still with us.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm impressed, how something so little and sick got my heart so fast. I didn't want to get attached, no success, I am deeply attached.