Living With A Bobcat

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O dear. Zorro’s first day of the rest of his life! I’ve explained, and showed him photos of bobcats. A least he can peep out screened windows.
Oh no Zorro, it's for your own good them big bobcats don't mix well with little cat's. Your better off looking on from a far little man.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement. He is giving me a look of: “But I ALways do my morning poop outside!!” I even shook a bowlful of fresh dirt over the kitty litter; this 15 years of indoor/outdoor. …At least he’s not a lithe whippersnapper anymore.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement. He is giving me a look of: “But I ALways do my morning poop outside!!” I even shook a bowlful of fresh dirt over the kitty litter; this 15 years of indoor/outdoor. …At least he’s not a lithe whippersnapper anymore.
It must be hard for you and him, hopefully he'll just decide to stay indoors before long. My brothers girl was about the same age when she decided she'd had enough of outside I asked him when I saw the litter tray, how come he'd made her a indoor cat after so long. He laughed and said I didn't she did it, she just decided one day. Never heard of a cat doing that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane , I've read that when you try to tell Zorro about the bob cats and coyotes you need to send kitty images of the bob cat chasing him, cornering him, grabbing him by the neck and shaking him to death. You should also include the fear he would feel by feeling it in your body.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
OK, now we’re both very, very frightened and respectful. :eek2: i think though I might hang out w/ him in a portable tent w/ big windows sometimes. Near the house. …Just so he catches the breezes through his nose.:sunshine:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
YES! His own poo... And I mean HATES IT!!! :lol:
I know Gibbs is a very large cat but I am wondering if he uses a litter box? If so and he hates the smell of his own feces you might consider a LitterRobot which cleans up after itself within just a few minutes. I don't know if it is big enough for him so I would suggest you contact the US manufacturer for dimensions. It is plenty big for even the largest domestic cats like Siberians and Snowshoes and Norwegian Forest cats although Gibbs is probably twice their size and I am not talking about weight, just dimensions. My Maine Coon is on the small size for one and he turns around and around in it and scratching like mad. He also hates his own smell and gets out of it when done as if lightning was in there.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered too about barf: do bobcats barf? Maybe they don’t due to not having to eat canned catfood?

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane , I've read that when you try to tell Zorro about the bob cats and coyotes you need to send kitty images of the bob cat chasing him, cornering him, grabbing him by the neck and shaking him to death. You should also include the fear he would feel by feeling it in your body.
It’s beginning to sink in, and I diligently give him this advice every evening. I have to harden my heart against the pitiful meows.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's difficult, some boy cats just love to fight, some love to bluff bigger and stronger beasts, but you're doing a good thing. Being a cat mom isn't easy.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Thought of you guys! Saw a bobcat tearing across the road, on a fierce, wild mission known only to itself. Looked really healthy, and, they must be pretty darn waterproof, since it was raining: its coat looked somehow dry, but maybe that was just my imagination.

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.. I am very interested in buying one or two Serval or Caracal or Bobcat cubs. (or a mixture) I have wanted one for a very long time as they are a plausable alternative to a Lion/tiger/leopard. Does anyone have any information on what obtaining a DWA licence requires? I understand its through the local council but what do they check? I want to have the serval(s) inside my home with me. I understand that in the UK we have to have a double lock enclosure but surely the Servals will not have to stay in there all the time? :gasp: Also can anyone point me in the direction of a UK based breeder? Thank you in advance for any replies. Your help is much appreciated.
@jcat , Bwahahahahaha :flail:

segelkatt segelkatt , He's a bobcat. Don't know about the attitude or physicality of attempted mating, but....actual hybridization doesn't work with Bobcats and other cats (excluding Bobcat/Lynx).
He's not wild. He's a tame cat, albeit stubborn and ornery every now and then. He has the same moments as any cat....just big enough to do some damage if he wants to. HOWEVER, He's "not so quick" to lash out as our other cats. He gives plenty of advance warning. And if it's something we must intervene anyway, His 1st few advances will still continue to be warning bluffs. (swats with no claws).
But he sure won't run and hide. He may be bluffing, but he'll stand there and hold his ground. If you advance toward him, he'll stay put. If you back away, he'll follow.
I guess all cats have primal instincts that carry over. His would be possession...food or a new toy. If it's kibble or bite size treats, all is good. But if it's a chunk of food/meat big enough for him to carry off scat identification...you simply leave him alone until he's finished with it.
As for his prevailing attitude? The photo below is every night. And I mean EVERY night.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello.. I am very interested in buying one or two Serval or Caracal or Bobcat cubs. (or a mixture) I have wanted one for a very long time as they are a plausable alternative to a Lion/tiger/leopard. Does anyone have any information on what obtaining a DWA licence requires? I understand its through the local council but what do they check? I want to have the serval(s) inside my home with me. I understand that in the UK we have to have a double lock enclosure but surely the Servals will not have to stay in there all the time? :gasp: Also can anyone point me in the direction of a UK based breeder? Thank you in advance for any replies. Your help is much appreciated.
I know nothing about these except that I stopped following the two serval or caracal accounts I was following on Instagram because I just couldn't get onboard with their hissing. I know their hiss means different things than a house cat. But it's still not a noise I found endearing or wanted to hear when scrolling through my cat videos. If you haven't spent any time with servals/caracals, I recommend finding and following a couple accounts on Instagram and see if that kind of hissing is the interaction you want to be having on the regular with your big kitties.

Beautiful cats! And one of them, Chloe, was a total sweetheart. But the hissing put me on edge every time.

Correction since I wrote this: I still follow Chloetheserval on one of my Instagram accounts. She meows. I unfollowed all the caracals I was following because they were hissers.

Last edited:

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I saw the title I thought of how my mom wondered if the stray kitten we found was a bobcat cause he had unusual markings and pointed ear tufts, but no this post is about an actual Big Cat :flail:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to know how Gibbs is doing ? He seems to have disappeared like Mark Harmon ???
;)
I have been thinking the same thing. I do not think he has been on TCS since March of 22.... hope he is ok...

He has not been on TCS since March of 2022.. hope basscat basscat is still ok... not active so he cannot be paged...