Liver?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat only wet food and only meat. I've been trying to get her to eat something better than Fancy Feast (especially since it includes 'fish' as an ingredient in its meat flavors), and I tried Wild Calling turkey trot--and she deigned to eat it.

But it contains liver, and I've read that the cat should only have liver once a week at most, and ALL the Wild Calling meats include liver. Should I look for another brand, or is this OK?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat only wet food and only meat. I've been trying to get her to eat something better than Fancy Feast (especially since it includes 'fish' as an ingredient in its meat flavors), and I tried Wild Calling turkey trot--and she deigned to eat it.

But it contains liver, and I've read that the cat should only have liver once a week at most, and ALL the Wild Calling meats include liver. Should I look for another brand, or is this OK?
I doubt there’s enough liver in them to constitute a problem. You could always contact the company to double check.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just about all the food I feed has some sort of liver in it. I think it’s fine. My cats are totally fine. Very healthy. I just don’t want liver to be the first ingredient, other than that liver is very healthy and a great source of nutrition for cats.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the others have already said. From what i have read liver in food is good, you just dont want it to be the first ingredient. But if it concerns you, which many things do me :) try to find another food she likes without liver, and rotate.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the manufacturer wouldn't pass AAFCO if there was too much. Too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicity - cats would be sick and the food would get recalled.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others. I feed homemade raw which I include liver into and my boy gets it every day. It's such a small amount and I'm sure it's a small amount in Wild Calling food too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all your replies! The liver is indeed not primary, and in checking some of my other wet brands, I see liver among the ingredients, so I agree with all of you that the small amount of liver involved is good for the cat.

I feel better about using more Wild Calling.