Liver in cat food

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am feeding my cat nitro max chicken and liver canned food. I have read that liver can cause vitamin a toxicity in cats. Is this a problem with cat food?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, the amount of liver in canned cat food will not cause vitamin A toxicity.  However it's a good idea to limit liver in the diet just to be safe. Feed your cat other foods that do not contain liver. Nutro Max has quite a few other varieties you can choose from and you can also feed other brands of food.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once read a study saying that vitamin A toxicity has never been seen in cats, except for one case in which the cat was ONLY being fed liver, or in cases of deliberate oversupplementation. Under normal conditions it's not going to happen, as cats are meant to eat organ meats so they have a very high tolerance. Every mouse has a liver after all ;).

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering the same thing. Trying to get my kitties on low carb and hopefully on to limited ingredient canned food. That way I can limit their liver intake. I was shocked to see just how much liver I've been giving them. I just checked and t's in EVERY SINGLE CAN I have on my shelf. Also take into account that "meat byproducts" also can include liver.