Musiaka's journey with IBD and liver issues

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s something to keep an eye on, but most likely it’s his system just flushing all the hair out of his system.
In some animals, large stool volume can be indicative of overfeeding and/or low quality food, but I honestly wouldn’t worry, at least not for the moment, given the situation :>
How long is he meant to stay on DermaDual?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, he has been m
It’s something to keep an eye on, but most likely it’s his system just flushing all the hair out of his system.
In some animals, large stool volume can be indicative of overfeeding and/or low quality food, but I honestly wouldn’t worry, at least not for the moment, given the situation :>
How long is he meant to stay on DermaDual?
We don't feed him all that much, he is supposed to have 65gr of RC Diabetic kibble daily, but he is satisfied with around 50gr. He drinks loads of water when fed kibble only, probably that adds up and he doesn't need more food. Next month we are supposed to switch to a different kibble, RC sensitivity control (with duck and no wheat)
Yeah maybe he needs to poop more to get rid of the hair as there's still plenty of shedding happening and no throwing up. Last year April was the worst month for him, throwing up hairballs twice a day, so this is huge improvement. We are supposed to take Dermadual for the rest of the month

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're fine. It's shedding season, and he's probably grooming A LOT. And the DermaDuel is meant to move the hairballs out...and there are, after all, only two exits on all known models. If they aren't coming up and out, they have to be going down and out. The fact that the extra poops kinda even out with last year's hairball yaks kind confirms this, when you think about it.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suddenly, the frequent pooping stopped and the hairballs started coming out the other way again, damn it. The only thing that's different is that he tried a little bit of Stella and Chewy's and we also switched to RC Sensitivity Control... and he's back at vomiting hairballs again, after 20 days of not throwing up a single hairball. :( i am so demotivated.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This happens. It happens to most of us. Go back to what was working for you. And keep us posted! YOU have not failed. We'll get there!

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're going to the vet tomorrow :(
Musiaka is begging for food the whole day but doesn't eat when he gets some. Looks upset and as if he can't find the right place for him to be. I think he's in pain, cause he's so different when his stomach is fine. A totally different cat.
I am starting to think that I should have found him a better owner when I had a chance back in Sweden, before we moved countries. I don't know what's best for him to eat and have certainly ruined his digestion over the years with constant switching from one brand to another, wet food to dry food and so on. He has gotten gradually worse over the 5 years I had him. Sure he is not vomiting as much as April 2020, but when he does it has more severe effects, like him changing his behaviour. Before he would throw up and be fine, but now when these throwing up periods come, he gets visibly upset. I'm so lost about what we should try next. Musiaka deserves better and I keep on failing him.

I will push the vet tomorrow and ask her for a better sollution. Will probably try another clinic as well, and him an endoscopy.
There are probably many great food recommendations on this forum, but most brands are not available here in Eastern Europe. I cant be shipping stuff and paying for customs. Why is it so difficult :(

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re doing the best you can by Musiaka, I’m sure — don’t blame yourself for trying your best to give him a good life! Definitely have him seen for peace of mind, regardless.

In terms of food availability — are you able to order from Zooplus? They have a lot of quality brands on there, and deliver to most of Eastern Europe. You might be able to find brands like Animonda Carny locally to you, as well.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re doing the best you can by Musiaka, I’m sure — don’t blame yourself for trying your best to give him a good life! Definitely have him seen for peace of mind, regardless.

In terms of food availability — are you able to order from Zooplus? They have a lot of quality brands on there, and deliver to most of Eastern Europe. You might be able to find brands like Animonda Carny locally to you, as well.
Thanks Maurey <3 easy to feel defeated sometimes... Animonda Carny is available actually! Would it suit a high glucose cat?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maurey <3 easy to feel defeated sometimes... Animonda Carny is available actually! Would it suit a high glucose cat?
Ideal diet for diabetic/pre-diabetic/high blood glucose cats are high protein, low carb. So all you really need is something your cat will eat with minimal tummy upset that has a minimum amount of fillers :>
Some other good brands you might find where you are in Europe include Thrive, Feringa, Granatapet Delicatessen, Wild Freedom, Macs, and Rosie’s Farm. For Animonda, Animonda Vom Feinsten might be higher in quality than Carny, if memory serves, but both are pretty good foods :>

If your cat is prone to tummy upset, might be worth contacting the companies you decide to try to see what kind of thickeners they use,since it’s usually not disclosed with European pet food, for some reason. Common triggers for sensitive cats are gums (particularly guar gum), legumes, and starches (e.g. tapioca starch, potato starch). Out of these, guar gum is probably the most common.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just don't understand - Musiaka went to poop, it all went well, no constipation, no diarrhea. 1 minute later he threw up a hairball, and not a big one. It should be passed out with stool, but somehow it can't get through. I wonder if all those 20 days he didn't throw up hairballs he was just accumulating them in his stomach

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What did the vet say?

And if it was a small one, it may have just formed, and the quickest way out was up, with the pooping triggering it. Maybe. I'm guessing, here.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say?

And if it was a small one, it may have just formed, and the quickest way out was up, with the pooping triggering it. Maybe. I'm guessing, here.
We ended up not going unfortunately. I am in pretty bad shape myself, got stressed and worked up right before leaving and started having a heart palpitation. So we missed the appointment. But we got another one on Saturday. Quite frankly I am not expecting the vet to answer this question... none of the vets we've been to given me any answers or an effective treatment (except one vet prescribing prenisolone. Vets in our current country are so against it however) People on this forum have been the most help...
I guess any bowel movement can trigger it then... but today he just randomly threw up a tiny spot of food, no hairball, no indication of it coming. It's always different and unpredictable. Maybe this time it was hunger that was the trigger, as he refused his kibble and was asking for something else... it's always something. :(

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very bad news :( Musiakas liver has gotten worse, it is now close to failing...

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got Musiakas bloodwork done today and the news are pretty bad. While his blood glucose, kidney parameters and other things, like creatinine look so much better, his liver is failing... ALP is 291 IU/ when it should be below 123, and GPT is over 1000! When it should be below 105...

Musiaka will have to get medicine with the drip for at least three days in a row, we will go back on Monday. Also, he got some Epato supplements and they want him to eat Royal Canin Hepatic food, but am I not sure if I should give it, cause maybe eating kibble only made it so much worse for him? The vet also thinks that that's why Musiaka vomits - because of his liver.

Any advice?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont understand why it got so much worse since January. In January his GPT was 115, so only slightly higher, and now its 10 times higher? How could it be? Can it be that this kibble-only diet caused this?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the way GPT is probably same as ALT

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could someone please advise, if Musiaka has to eat the RC Hepatic food? Lately he has totally lost his appetite for kibble, so I started re-introducing wet food to his diet, that he eats way more willingly. He drinks loads of water and looks like he misses moisture in his food. He started ignoring kibble, so I'm not sure if it's worth ordering the Hepatic sort. Maybe he doesn't have to be on it if he gets liver supplement and will get an iv drip?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the liver failure due to having not been eating? How long has it been since he has eaten?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the Hepatic food come in wet? Most vet foods have a canned version.