Musiaka's journey with IBD and liver issues

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have they checked him for diabetes? Can’t imagine they haven’t but the hunger and thirst can be a sign of diabetes.

I would just get rid of all the house plants so you don’t have to worry about that.

One of my cats throws up when she eats kibble too fast. I started putting out tiny amounts more often instead of the full amount before I go to bed, and then got a slow feeder bowl, and both definitely helped.

Can you get a limited ingredient rabbit dry food? Instinct makes one and there is a prescription royal canin as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have they checked him for diabetes? Can’t imagine they haven’t but the hunger and thirst can be a sign of diabetes.

I would just get rid of all the house plants so you don’t have to worry about that.

One of my cats throws up when she eats kibble too fast. I started putting out tiny amounts more often instead of the full amount before I go to bed, and then got a slow feeder bowl, and both definitely helped.

Can you get a limited ingredient rabbit dry food? Instinct makes one and there is a prescription royal canin as well.
Yes, his previous vet checked him for diabetes and he didn't think Musiaka has it. His thirst comes and goes as I noticed - eating more kibble makes him drink more. If he only gets wet food, especially the saucy ones he used to get before, he would rarely ever drink water. Virbac's kibble is made with higher natrium consistency, to make cats drink more also. But the hunger is crazy, sometimes I can see that he is fed and doesn't even want more, but then he goes to his bowl and forces himself to eat. Empty stomach seems to make him throw up a bit of a yellowish foam, maybe acid reflux.

And yes, it does seem like Musiaka throws up kibble if he eats too fast as well - he doesn't even chew! I started avoid giving kibble when he's really hungry. Slow feeder bowl is definitely a good idea, will order one.

Abour dry rabbit food - I can see that there is one from Happy Cat Sensitive, but there is also some beef fat in it, so not sure if it can be considered one protein:/ its grain and sugar free however, maybe worth a shot?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh, its the only dry food with rabbit on the market :( there's Carnilove's one out there also, but it has chicken in it

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed in one of your posts that he eats treats - so maybe look into whats in those if you haven't yet. Has he had pancreatitus? That was what Gem was diagnosed with when she was throwing up and had diarreha. They said it was from stress and anesthesia- and it started with a vet visit and then having teeth pulled- she was constipated. She never vomited or had diarreha after that. That emergency vet was the only vet who told me to get her off the dry food and it worked. She also gave me probiotics to give Gem for a while after so you may try if you havent. If he will not eat the wet the novel protein kibble would be worth trying.
Happy Holiday to you and Musiaka!

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you post the ingredients in the wet foods? Is kitty doing better with the switch? I posted recently about my cat throwing up and having diarrhea with koha. Limited ingredient but obviously something doesn’t agree with her. I figure it’s either the pumpkin, tapioca, or xanthan gum. Once I stopped feeding it, the vomiting and diarrhea resolved.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed in one of your posts that he eats treats - so maybe look into whats in those if you haven't yet. Has he had pancreatitus? That was what Gem was diagnosed with when she was throwing up and had diarreha. They said it was from stress and anesthesia- and it started with a vet visit and then having teeth pulled- she was constipated. She never vomited or had diarreha after that. That emergency vet was the only vet who told me to get her off the dry food and it worked. She also gave me probiotics to give Gem for a while after so you may try if you havent. If he will not eat the wet the novel protein kibble would be worth trying.
Happy Holiday to you and Musiaka!
Pancreatitis was also something the vet didn't think Musiaka has, but no blood tests were done, since he has no diarreah, weight or appetite loss.

A novel protein kibble is definitely something I will try, once I find a one ingredient kibble :)
Happy Holidays to you and your kitty as well :)

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you post the ingredients in the wet foods? Is kitty doing better with the switch? I posted recently about my cat throwing up and having diarrhea with koha. Limited ingredient but obviously something doesn’t agree with her. I figure it’s either the pumpkin, tapioca, or xanthan gum. Once I stopped feeding it, the vomiting and diarrhea resolved.
Solo Coniglio Rabbit seems to only have 100% rabbit meat, without internal organs and nothing else, or so they claim. Seems like he is doing better with the switch. But I am still looking for the best kibble... haven't found a one protein kibble available in my country. The Virbac's one has dehydrated proteins of chicken and pork and those don't seem to be ideal, especially the chicken

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm pretty sure it's the kibble causing vomiting. Tonight Musiaka threw up 1 h after eating kibble. I saw how he eats it, as I was trying to slow feed him kibble by myself - he chews every third bit at best, mostly just swallows them whole. This evening I did a mistake by leaving him to eat kibble by himself. After vomiting he was immediately hungry again and I fed him his wet food as to not leave him empty stomach for the nighy. Seems like we have to go kibble free...
His wet food is so expensive though, a monthly supply is around the same amount I spend my own food and I am unemployed due to covid right now. Do you guys I could mix some other cheaper wet food every now and them or should I just keep giving this one? I do not see him throw up after it at least, so seems like its well tolerated. But financially its tough, kibble, although although also the most expensive one, was great help to reduce the cost. On the other hand one visit to the vet is like the monthly supply of the expensive wet food...

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe its whats in the dry food that doesnt agree with him. It can be ingredients in any food so thats what you need to figure out by trial and error- Even less expensive wet food could be better than dry which if he has IBD is harder for him to digest- so you might try some. Food allergies are common in cats and usually the cause of IBD.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe its whats in the dry food that doesnt agree with him. It can be ingredients in any food so thats what you need to figure out by trial and error- Even less expensive wet food could be better than dry which if he has IBD is harder for him to digest- so you might try some. Food allergies are common in cats and usually the cause of IBD.
Yeah, probably best to stick to something with limited ingredients, could be easier to figure out :/

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I dont know what country your in but Amazon global ships to many countries and they have cat food on their site- a variety so you may find a good food on that site you could order if you can't find one where you are. I used to order from them sometimes .

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found some dry food here locally actually, that looks promising - Marp Think Hollistic dry food with turkey, one protein kibble, the ingredients are:
Freshly Prepared Turkey 45 %, Sweet Potato 27 %, Dried Turkey 14 %, Potato Protein, Potato, Poultry stock 2 %, Pea Protein, Omega 3 Supplement, Brewer Yeast, Minerals and Vitamins, Dried Cranberry, Dried Carrot, Yucca Extract.
Does it sound good? Wish they had rabbit, but turkey is supposedly good for ibd cats too. Not sure about yeast though

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All the potatoes and peas are not ideal but it’s hard to avoid that kind of stuff in dry food.

Can you get taste of the wild? Their turkey prey has the least excess stuff I’ve seen in a dry food.

Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula for Cats - Taste of the Wild Pet Food

Before this I was feeding blue Buffalo limited ingredient turkey but this has more excess ingredients than the taste of the wild.

BLUE Basics™ Dry Cat Food Grain-Free Indoor Turkey & Potato Recipe
Thanks, I actually found Taste of the Wild in a webshop here in my country! Is it ok with the lentils in it?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also have you looked for freeze dried raw foods?
The only raw food we tried was frozen raw meat for cats, but he didnt even want to come near it lol! Freeze dried raw, its like the ones you have to add water in before serving, right?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I actually found Taste of the Wild in a webshop here in my country! Is it ok with the lentils in it?
lentils aren’t great either but I feel like this is the dry food with the least amount of junk ingredients that I’ve found. The catfooddb website rated it better than many other dry foods.

Yes you do add water to the freeze dried. My cats really like it. I get Northwest Naturals or Stella and Chewys but I have no idea if these brands would be available in other countries. My cats would not eat actual raw food—at ages 12 and 15 I don’t think they‘re up for that big of a change!

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I
lentils aren’t great either but I feel like this is the dry food with the least amount of junk ingredients that I’ve found. The catfooddb website rated it better than many other dry foods.

Yes you do add water to the freeze dried. My cats really like it. I get Northwest Naturals or Stella and Chewys but I have no idea if these brands would be available in other countries. My cats would not eat actual raw food—at ages 12 and 15 I don’t think they‘re up for that big of a change!
I've ordered Taste of the Wild! Hopefully, he will tolerate it better. Do you think it could help to wet the dry food?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about wetting the dry food but if you do, don’t leave it out for very long if he doesn’t eat it.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would strongly recommend against leaving dry food out. Eating constantly is a disaster for any stomach, let alone for a cat who has digestive problems. Put him on a scheduled feeding, it might even be the case that on scheduled feeding he will enjoy wet food as well.

2nd thing to also pay attention to is if he eats too fast. Wanting greens means he is trying to heal himself as he senses his stomach being upset.

3rd thing is to try raw food diet, if nothing else works. Usually cats have less digestive issues on that. But either way keeping feeding sessions to 3x a day is the foundation for a healthy long lasting digestive system.