LIVER FAILURE

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, we went to the vet because my Arya has been excessively producing eye discharge. Me and my partner had a feeling that it is Upper Respiratory Infection. But the vet said, she was fine and the eye discharge is normal. And today, she was all fine and active the whole. After I fed her this afternoon, she slept. But when she woke up, she vomited, pooped browning black stool and peed. Then my my cat who isnt her mom, fed her. While feeding, she was pooping greenish stool this time. After that she has gone very weak and unable to walk properly. We took her immediately to the vet. The vet said she has a liver damage. They injected 3 medicines on her 2 for her liver in small doses because she is only a month and a week and one for her appetite. They also dewormed her for the first time because her stool was brownish black and they said it shouldnt be like that. When we got home, she was kind of okay already, but she would separate herself with the other cats and only feed from the mother cat now. And not from the feeding bottle anymore. The mother doesnt always make her kittens feed anymore because her kittens are 2mos already and arya is just a month and a week. What should I do so that she could not separate herself anymore and bottle feed again? And what can I do for her liver damage?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yesterday, we went to the vet because my Arya has been excessively producing eye discharge. Me and my partner had a feeling that it is Upper Respiratory Infection. But the vet said, she was fine and the eye discharge is normal. And today, she was all fine and active the whole. After I fed her this afternoon, she slept. But when she woke up, she vomited, pooped browning black stool and peed. Then my my cat who isnt her mom, fed her. While feeding, she was pooping greenish stool this time. After that she has gone very weak and unable to walk properly. We took her immediately to the vet. The vet said she has a liver damage. They injected 3 medicines on her 2 for her liver in small doses because she is only a month and a week and one for her appetite. They also dewormed her for the first time because her stool was brownish black and they said it shouldnt be like that. When we got home, she was kind of okay already, but she would separate herself with the other cats and only feed from the mother cat now. And not from the feeding bottle anymore. The mother doesnt always make her kittens feed anymore because her kittens are 2mos already and arya is just a month and a week. What should I do so that she could not separate herself anymore and bottle feed again? And what can I do for her liver damage?
Liver damages arent usual in such little ones.  Is there any possibility she ate something unsuitable?   Exactly what kmr are you giving her in the bottle?

Anyway, you will be forced to give her extra, if she doenst want bottle so with a needle-less syringe.  Do also weigh her every day, to follow her gains.

Good luck!

@catwoman707

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it possible for you to get raw goat milk? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liver damages arent usual in such little ones.  Is there any possibility she ate something unsuitable?   Exactly what kmr are you giving her in the bottle?

Anyway, you will be forced to give her extra, if she doenst want bottle so with a needle-less syringe.  Do also weigh her every day, to follow her gains.

Good luck!

@catwoman707
I only feed her cosi pets milk lactose free ever since i got her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I only feed her cosi pets milk lactose free ever since i got her.
Was it this pet milk which we discussed earlier, and thought it could be OK?  My suspect was another brand of milk, which I wouldnt mention here and now.

Ok, so this  Cosi shouldnt harm the liver, but isnt necessarily the optimal. 

I would recommend to find a proper kmr, or even better - raw goat milk.
Yes. But there are only few grocery stores who have goats milk here and its far from our place.
If they do carry raw / fresh goat milk for real, there is no thinking twice.  Especielly as she seems to have got problems inside.

Goat milk is often recommended as therapy for cats in distress. Or even cat animals.  For examle, leijons too. [done a little edit here]

If they do carry just bottled, or even pulverised, it may be worth they try anyways.  If there is several versions, pick a full fat version, no low fat versions for people who hope to get down several kilo.

Good luck!

Last edited:

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ Ill try to find goats milk here. Im really worried about her behaviour. I wish shell be fine soon. :(

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cosi Pets Milk is the ONLY milk ive ever given her since I got her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cosi Pets Milk is the ONLY milk ive ever given her since I got her.
Another though, do you have some othe, decent vet nearby?  A second opinion is always wise, esp when such a serious diagnose as here.

If so, you can ask about the eye discharge there too, when you are there.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks @StefanZ  for calling me.

I have many questions and comments about this......

First off, if the vet said liver failure due to the green poop, this is a very lame diagnosis, and basically impossible.

Green poop in a kitten this young indicates infection.

It concerns me that this vet is extremely inexperienced with baby kittens..............should not have given a shot for liver, nor for appetite.

Kitten should either be nursing or bottle fed either KMR or raw goat's milk. Cosi is okay but not optimal for nutrition, but is okay.

Kitten also should be put on a small 0.1 ml dose of liquid clavamox.

I would NOT use this vet again for the baby. Seriously lacking experience here and basing what he sees in this kitten as she were an adult cat.

What is her weight? This needs to be closely monitored daily to be sure there is a gain every single day, if not then making sure she eats even more.

If there is an issue finding the right milk for her, I would be considering getting her weaned onto kitten canned food at least until she is stabilized.

How is she acting? Did this vet decide on liver failure simply due to her pooping green?

Ridiculous.........