Liver disease and hyperthyroidism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tottenjake98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat who is 13 out of no where started hiding everyday, wasn’t eating, looked different and was loosing weight rapidly. We took her to the vet and they found a liver disease and minor hypothyroidism. She lost bunch of weight and can see her bones, no energy, looks sick, yellow ears due to jaundice, refusing to eat and only drinks water sometimes. We were recommended a special diet which was for hepatic cats. Couldn’t get my hands on any hepatic food and i ended up getting hills ID digestive health which is not hepatic but it was close as i could find and vet recommended it.
I need information on this disease and what is best way to go with this. Recently she been getting worse, unbalanced walking and her strength has been bad. I am force feeding aggressively from now on cause she needs her calories and vitamins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tottenjake98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are cats with liver disease and hypothyroidism supported. When i read up it said to feed aggressively to reverse a problem with anorexia and supply a supplement. I’m desperate for answers cause i need to try my best. My mental health has been awful since all of this and it’s hard to deal with.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Liver disease is an umbrella term. Do you know what kind of liver disease she has? Is it only jaundice or also fatty liver? Jaundice can even happen secondary when the main problem is something else. Like an infection or pancreatitis, or something else. It's important to get her eat food to fight (or prevent) fatty liver disease as cats can develop it even only by not eating food.

I would discuss with the vet and get Fortiflora both to get her eat more and to support the immune system.

There are some holistic supplements to detox the liver. Milk thistle is the most famous ingredient for that. Here are some. (You may not find these of course, I'm showing just to show the ingredients. I like the products with milk thistle, curcumin, and B12 vitamin.)

Silycumin | BioPetActive

LİVERVİTAL 60 DELİCİOUS TABLET - Zoovital

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was she given any anti-nausea medication and/or an appetite stimulant? I know liver issues can cause horrible nausea which will cause her to not want to eat or drink much so anti-nausea might be helpful. I have a cat who lost a ton of weight due to hyperthyroidism and while we're getting her medication dose worked out, she has been on Mirataz for appetite. It has worked wonders to make her want to eat and she has been able to gain over a pound in the past month.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tottenjake98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies, sadly she had to be put down today. I’m just glad she isn’t suffering anymore. The day has been awful for me but i know things will get better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. As I read your initial post, I thought that your baby sounded as if she had end stage liver disease along with possible hyperthyroidism. Liver disease is hard to pinpoint and can evolve over a period of time which makes treatment difficult. Cats, especially, are very stoic and do not show overt signs of illness for as long as they can help it, so please take comfort in the fact that you did not miss anything and that you gave her a wonderful life for 13 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.