Liver cysts/cholangitis/triaditis

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mentioned in another post one of my cats had turned yellow and I do mean yellow..he was practically luminescent.... His name is Puk and he's one year old now.
IMG_20200730_154416.jpg

I had an x-ray done to see if there were any fluids(I have had a lot of FIP in the past) but thankfully there wasn't any. His liver was enlarged and his colon was icky, so they gave me some metronadizol(not the best in liver problems but they assured me it would be ok) and some laxative paste. It worked, the yellow faded a bit and Puk started eating again.

Then we had a little heatwave last weekend and he stopped eating. He started salivating any time I would syringe feed him so I discussed it with the vet and they would do an ultrasound. Turns out he has cysts on his liver, nothing on his kidney that we see. She didn't have high hopes for him.

I am syringe feeding him throughout the day about 10 cc's at a time as he tends to vomit if I try more. He's on amoxicillin, prednison and cerenia to help with nausea. I asked someone with a cattery what could have caused the cysts and she told me about the cholangitis and triaditis and also said enrofloxacin works better with this kind of illness.

Does anybody here have any experience with this? Anything I can do to help Puk get better. He's such a sweet boy

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi catlady76paws !

This 'stuff' has to be one of the most frustrating and difficult syndromes to deal with.

There is a specialized online community that deals with these conditions - they've been active since 2007 (originally on Yahoo), and so have a lot of experience to draw from. If I were dealing with this, it's where I'd be picking brains.

They're here: Feline Pancreatitis Support - groups.io

I always got a new email account (like Yahoo/gmail) dedicated to each of these groups that I joined - I found it much easier to keep track of the info this way.

Keep us posted, too.

[FWIW, there are also a couple of others, but with less history/experience. One is a list-serve FelineLiverDisease; the second is on FB: CatsWithPancreatitis - FB.]

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did they do a biopsy of his liver, or just the ultrasound? I'm guessing maybe they want to see what happens with the meds before doing a biopsy? Did your Vet say Triaditis, or your friend? (because you didn't mention it from the Vet visit, only the cysts and an "icky" colon, which might be Biaditis (new word) Many people who have cats with liver cysts get them drained if they impenge on other organs, like the stomach, although I guess it rally depends on how many there are. Some folks actually have them surgically removed. Again depends on how many there are.

Luckily the liver is one organ that can heal itself if it's not too far gone. You know, you can lose 49 percent of your liver and it can regenerate Did you talk to your Vet about any liver supplements? Of course, it may be a little too soon for that...not sure.

Did you join the above FB group? Sounds like a great resource!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just the ultrasound. They want to see what the medication does and I don't know if they operate on cysts here. My vet also wants to save me from high costs as I have unpaid bills there still. I'm doing my best to pay them off, always letting them know what's going on but downside is they are hesitant to do anything really expensive.

My cattery acquaintance told me. I looked it up and compared the symptoms and it seems highly probable they are part of what Puk's issues are.

He was eating some kibble this morning and he likes his nutri-plus gel. I am mixing the new antibiotic with a bit of liquid food as he salivates immediately as it hits his mouth. I hope what I get in is enough. It's a day job right now looking after Puk and I hope it helps him. I keep hugging him and telling him what a good boy he is and that he has to beat this.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is so hard...feeding him the medication that probably tastes horrible, syringe feeding him food he hates right now. I wish some miracle would happen overnight...I realise I'm expecting much but I so want him to get better...I can not do this again...fight for weeks and then have them come to that point....please keep puk in your thoughts.....

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That medication is supposedly extremely bitter. Pill form would be so much easier to dose, in my opinion, but yo've already got it in liquid, so guess you're just gonna have to keep doing what you're doing. Perhaps after you squirt it into his mouth, give him a little of his favorite food so he'll be able to get the taste out of his mouth quickly? That's what other's have said they've done.

Keep telling yourself that you are helping him by doing this to him :alright:. Cats with liver issues absolutely MUST get nourishment. Well, every cat must have nourishment, but particularly with liver issues. I had a cat with hepatic lipidosis and he had to be on a feeding tube for four months. Actually the feeding tube made it a lot easier to feed and medicate him, but of course he hated it!

Hang in there, and of course we have both you and Puk in our thoughts and are cheering him on.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought the medication tasted foul😒. I did order the pill form but it might take a while to get here. Is it safe to switch to pill form then? Hoping Puk will hold out😕.

I mix the solution with Hill's AD supportive care and give him syringes of just AD after a nasty tasting one. And afterwards I give him Nutrigel which he likes. He actually licks it from my finger.

I would have liked to have a feeding tube inserted but 1. I worry about the cost and 2. Puk might be to weak to undergo the procedure. How long before your kitty went back to normal color? I thought Puk's nose was pretty pink on Friday but now it's back to orange.

He is responsive today. Hates being fed but he undergoes it. Lying on his blanket right now
IMG_20200817_155841.jpg
He can talk to his brother as well
IMG_20200817_155847.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You would have to ask your Vet what the cost would be and of course, they would NOT install an E-tube if they didn't think Puk was strong enough to endure the surgery. From what I understand, it's a very quick surgery. (Our guy actually had a stomach feeding tube, which is much more involved than an E-tube. E-tubes are much better, but unheard of at the time when our guy needed it)

If Puk eating anything at all on his own? The reason I ask is regarding giving him the pill once you get them. I don't know if you have ever given pills to a cat, but, you can look up videos of how to do it if he's not eating treats or anything like that. If he IS eating a tiny bit, then you can try wrapping the pill in something he likes to get him to eat it. That is sometimes iffy though, because he may eat the wrap and then spit out the pill. With bitter pills, many people also buy empty gel caps and put the bitter pill inside before pilling them.

Here's a thread with several links in it on help with giving cats their pills: Best way to give my cat her meds??

I would think it's perfectly fine to switch from one form of medication to another. Didn't you have to go through your Vet to order the pills? It's a prescription drug so I would think so, and therefore if your Vet ordered it, it should be fine. Also, it was more than 20 years ago with my "yellow" cat, so I can't remember how long it took for him to stop being yellow, but as I mentioned, he was on the feeding tube for four months! And his nose was never yellow, only his gums and the inside of his ears (that we noticed). But our guy didn't have cysts on his liver, he had hepatic lipidosis, aka fatty liver disease, which isn't quite the same.

Just in case there is anything in here for european nations, maybe this will be of help: Financial Help For Cat Care.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no problem administering pills, thankfully. I use a pill shooter for the bitey ones and just drop a pill back of the tongue for the calm ones. Always does the trick.
Puk nibbled at some dry food and he licks the nutrigel off my finger but that's it. I feed him around every 2 hours. I hope it's enough😬.

Vet ordered. It's not a common antibiotics here anymore. Used to be but have to jump through quite a few hoops now🤭

Feeding ritual
IMG_20200818_162108.jpg

My sweet Puk...
IMG_20200818_162147.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great news that you will be able to pill him with no problems.

How much of the Hills A/D are you able to feed him in a day? Hopefully about a full can, but I'm thinking probably not that much. But at least you are able to supplement with the nutrical. Is he drinking anything? I know he is getting lots of moisture because you have to think out the A/D but am just curious as to whether or not he is actively trying to drink. He look so forlorn :frown:. I can really see the yellow in his ears and his nose.

Can you ask your Vet if liver supplements might be at all helpful? There are several out there, some prescription and some homeopathic. I just don't know if they might help with cysts, but from reading this exerpt from merckvetmanual, I think so:

Liver Cysts

Liver cysts can be acquired (usually single nodules) or present at birth (usually multiple nodes called polycystic disease). Congenital polycystic disease of the liver has been reported in Persian cats. Cat with multiple cysts may also have cysts in the kidneys. The cysts often go undiagnosed but occasionally they enlarge and cause abdominal swelling and other signs such as lethargy, vomiting, and excessive thirst. Cats with multiple cysts throughout the liver can have signs of liver dysfunction. Your veterinarian may be able to feel nonpainful masses in the abdomen. Cysts may be identified with x-rays or ultrasonography, but a biopsy is needed for a definite diagnosis. Surgical removal of isolated cysts usually cures the condition but is not always necessary. Cats with multiple cysts that extend throughout the liver are treated with supportive medications and diet to reduce the signs of liver disease.

And there is THIS, from the same site:

Suppurative (acute) cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis usually causes obvious and sudden illness in cats. Signs include fever, enlarged liver, abdominal pain, jaundice, lethargy, vomiting, poor appetite, and weight loss. The syndrome is typically seen in young or middle-aged adults. Affected cats have an increased risk for infections from the digestive tract. Treatment consists of fluids to correct dehydration and longterm (2 to 3 months) antibiotics to treat bacterial infections. Medications to protect the liver, vitamin supplementation, and nutritional support are often necessary. If there is an obstruction between the liver and the gallbladder, surgery is required to restore normal function.

Does this sound like Puk? Here is the link to the website, BTW: Disorders of the Liver and Gallbladder in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed him this every time after feeding Nutri-Plus Gel high energy nutritional supplement| Virbac and he gets Nutribound from the same make. I talked to my vet as she had told me to dilute the enrofloxacin and I wasn't really seeing any improvement. She said to monitor him closely but to give it pure(only 0,35 ml once a day). He hated it with a passion.

So now I am just feeding AD every 2 hours and he's not salivating as much, he talks to me, more like protest as to why I have to feed him again. He had an hydrocobamine injection today and I ordered some supplements for the liver

"And there is THIS, from the same site:

Suppurative (acute) cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis usually causes obvious and sudden illness in cats. Signs include fever, enlarged liver, abdominal pain, jaundice, lethargy, vomiting, poor appetite, and weight loss. The syndrome is typically seen in young or middle-aged adults. Affected cats have an increased risk for infections from the digestive tract. Treatment consists of fluids to correct dehydration and longterm (2 to 3 months) antibiotics to treat bacterial infections. Medications to protect the liver, vitamin supplementation, and nutritional support are often necessary. If there is an obstruction between the liver and the gallbladder, surgery is required to restore normal function.

Does this sound like Puk? Here is the link to the website, BTW: Disorders of the Liver and Gallbladder in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual "

👆 Sounds like Puk. If he pulls through, it looks like I'll be busy for a few months. As long as he's still happy and loving. He still gets up, cuddles, interacts and I think he likes spending so much time with me, lucky devil.
IMG_20200819_155124.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So per that "diagnosis", is he dehydrated? You may need to give him sub-q fluids if so. AND hoping the antibiotics in pill form get there soon. If this is truly his issues, he may need them for a few months :frown: Of course, we're really just speculation here. Did you happen to run that speculation past your Vet?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No Puk is not dehydrated right now. He had the Vit B injection yesterday and his skin bounced right back. He also gets water from the AD. Haven't run the speculation by them yet. I wonder if they even know. A lot of info on diseases all translate back to USA or UK. It's like they don't know here, which is weird and when I say something they look at me as though they're seeing water burn.

Puk is enduring all my care and food but he meows at me when I go to pick him up for feeding. Like, get away from me woman 🤭

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Going in for an X-ray today...Puk has been a bit 'bloated' and remains skinny on his hip and back despite me feeding him. He also meows at anything, picking up, stroking. Purrs like mad but we all know purring...

Being very familiar with FIP I thought it best to do an X-ray....

This is him today
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.23.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.30.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 10.57.32.jpeg

Keep him in your thoughts...I fear the worst but I'm hoping I'm wrong....

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate it when I'm right😞

Puk has left this earth to play over the bridge....😭 💔🌈

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful boy....I am so sorry for your loss. I had been following your story, but had nothing of value to add; however, I can say now that you took exceptional care of Puk and he was lucky to have spent his time here with you.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry :hugs: I am just now reading this and my heart breaks for you. You did everything you could and I'm just sorry he went through so much before he was diagnosed. Darn FIP :argh:.

Well, your boy is free of all his pain now and I like to think he is running free at the bridge with all our other beloved cats who passed before him. :rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

Again, my dearest sympathies.