Moral Dilemma

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING

I know this place isn’t a substitute for a vet. I know but I just want advice here. I’m struggling with it.

I went into the living room to eat like normal when my inside cat Molly started hacking again, but then it took a turn. Usually he just coughs for a minute and he’s fine. We took him to the vet before for hacking. None of the stuff they have us worked. But it didn’t seem to be hurting him so I thought it would be fine.

Me and my dad have taken him to the vet twice now. Last time we got him checked. We were told he had Anemia and Feline AIDS. I don’t know anything about feline aids, the vet never explained it so I don’t know if it has something to do with that.

He started hacking like he was trying to get something out of his throat, which for him is normal, then he starting hacking nothing. As if he was just cough-choking out air. He’s been doing it for about thirty minutes now and still hasn’t stopped. He’s just laid down and his side and is doing it every few seconds.

The problem is, he’a been to the vet twice now. Almost a thousand dollars now. My dad said we can’t keep taking him to the vet like that, I love that cat to death don’t get me wrong. But I have no power here, I can’t take him to the vet on my own as I’m not 18, and I’m not sure my father would let me use my own money anyway.

It hurts me so much to see him like this. I’ve thought about this before because of all his medical issues. I know it’s wrong and I feel horrible even thinking about it, but I don’t want him to be living the rest of his life in pain if he’s gonna be like this. I know it’s horrible I know I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to do.

I’ve been thinking of.. well, putting him down. I love him so much with all my heart but my father says we can’t keep taking him to the vet cause it’s costing all that money and stuff, but my god I’m so conflicted. I want to helpmy cat Molly so bad but I don’t know what else I can do.

I just I just want todo my best to help make him comfortable if I can’t take him to the vet, I don’t know what to do. I’m sorry I’m rambling but emotions here. Even as I write this he’s still just choking out air, I don’t mnow what to do. I’m contemplating this but I don’t know what the best option is here I’m sorry I’m rambling I’m sorry.

I just want to help him so much. I’m sorry if this is controversial or the wrong forum or whatever. I just need advice or something here I’m sorry

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your father's attitude makes me mad and upset. The cat is a member of the family and should be cared for as such. He wouldn't let you choke it out on the floor. (I hope!) But sadly, a number of people have this disconnect and say, "he's just a cat." I don't know if there's anything to do to change his mind though.

Do you have a no-kill shelter or a rescue you could contact for assistance? Perhaps surrendering him to one of those places (or posting to social media like NextDoor) might allow him to get the medical attention he needs.

I don't know that I could just put a cat down without knowing what's wrong and whether it possibly could have been treated. But I do understand and sympathize with your situation and your reasoning. I wouldn't fault you if you did. But I sure hope you can find someone who can give him a second chance before it comes to that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry you are going through this with Molly. How old is he? What are all the test that he has been through? Without knowing any more, I would suggest that Molly might have asthma, just based on what you are describing. It is treatable. But. there are other conditions that might cause the same symptoms.

Copies of all of the tests that have been run so far are yours for free from the current vet, and can be given to another vet for a second opinion. The second opinion is best when sought from a new vet in an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). It isn't going to prevent a cost for a new vet consultation, but perhaps you can get your dad to agree to you doing chores/work around the house to pay for it.

I would also tell you that you need to have a copy of the tests for yourself so you can review them and research the results to get a better understanding of them overall. It doesn't hurt for you to research feline AIDS and anemia while you are at it. There will be scary things, and less scary things, but at least you will have some appreciation for what might be causing Molly issues. I presume you are pretty capable with searching on the internet?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Unable to diagnose of course, but sounds like you are desperate. If your cat is laying lateral and coughing it is an emergency.
My guess and this is just a guess, but from the history, it sounds like your cat could have asthma. Feline asthma is different looking in cats than it is people. It is treatable. The diagnosis is made from xrays.

A cat only vet would be your best bet.

Of course the whole point of your post. I will be brutally honest here.

If your cat is honestly laying on his side coughing and you cannot figure a way to get him to a vet immediately, you should, in my opinion, have him euthanized at the vet, immediately.

A cat having an asthma attack without medication or treatment is suffering. Can you imagine if the only air you had to breath was filled with pepper spray. While I don’t think it burns like pepper spray there is still the inflammation that makes it so you can’t get air. Suffocating.

I am not heartless and I have sympathy for you as well as your cat. I just can’t stand to think of your cat suffering.

If this was one attack that had resolved and hadn’t escalated to this point, I would suggest fundraising etc. But if your cat is on his side coughing, you can’t . He needs immediate attention.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a friend or family member to help get him to a dvm? It sounds like an emergency to me. I am so sorry you are in this situation. Hugs to you❤ I volunteered for a rescue years ago and the woman running it emancipated herself from her family at 16, she stayed on her own when they moved and kept her cat and dog who were unwanted by the family. Explain the situation to the dvm and maybe they can let you pay in installments or do the care plan and you can fund raise for it as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Unable to diagnose of course, but sounds like you are desperate. If your cat is laying lateral and coughing it is an emergency.
My guess and this is just a guess, but from the history, it sounds like your cat could have asthma. Feline asthma is different looking in cats than it is people. It is treatable. The diagnosis is made from xrays.

A cat only vet would be your best bet.

Of course the whole point of your post. I will be brutally honest here.

If your cat is honestly laying on his side coughing and you cannot figure a way to get him to a vet immediately, you should, in my opinion, have him euthanized at the vet, immediately.

A cat having an asthma attack without medication or treatment is suffering. Can you imagine if the only air you had to breath was filled with pepper spray. While I don’t think it burns like pepper spray there is still the inflammation that makes it so you can’t get air. Suffocating.

I am not heartless and I have sympathy for you as well as your cat. I just can’t stand to think of your cat suffering.

If this was one attack that had resolved and hadn’t escalated to this point, I would suggest fundraising etc. But if your cat is on his side coughing, you can’t . He needs immediate attention.
Asthma. When you point it out like that it makes sense. I’ll try to see if I can get him help as quick as I can if I can. If not, I’ll try to do what I think is right.

As far as I know he’s had two attacks like this. The one I was talking about in this post which he’s seemed to calm down from as of right now, and one my dad told me about yesterday night. My dad said he was like that for two hours last night and woke him up, that or it kept my dad up for two hours that is.

Since he’s had two attacks that I know of so far, I know he needs immediate help, but for it to have happened twice this bad, how far along is it and I how much time do you think he has left before it could get worse than this?

Again, I’ll try to get him help if I can convince my father. If not I’ll have to resort to asking other family for help.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry you are going through this with Molly. How old is he? What are all the test that he has been through? Without knowing any more, I would suggest that Molly might have asthma, just based on what you are describing. It is treatable. But. there are other conditions that might cause the same symptoms.

Copies of all of the tests that have been run so far are yours for free from the current vet, and can be given to another vet for a second opinion. The second opinion is best when sought from a new vet in an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). It isn't going to prevent a cost for a new vet consultation, but perhaps you can get your dad to agree to you doing chores/work around the house to pay for it.

I would also tell you that you need to have a copy of the tests for yourself so you can review them and research the results to get a better understanding of them overall. It doesn't hurt for you to research feline AIDS and anemia while you are at it. There will be scary things, and less scary things, but at least you will have some appreciation for what might be causing Molly issues. I presume you are pretty capable with searching on the internet?
While I hate to say it Molly’s getting up there in age. I don’t know the exact time we got him but I was a little kid at that point. He could be over ten years for all I know.

Someone else suggested asthma too, I’ll see if I can get him immediate help, and research what I can do for him till then.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like asthma. There isn't much you can do without medicine. Using air purifiers throughout the home, limiting dusty cat litter, keeping the home clean, etc can be somewhat helpful but medication is needed to control the asthma attacks. Medication can be inhaled through a special cat inhaler or be steroids in pill or other form.

Try to take a video the next time your cat has an attack and email it to the vet for review. The vet may still want to see the cat in person and definitively diagnose the asthma via x ray or other test. If you don't feel the current vet is helpful, seek out another vet.

Here's a web site with more info about feline asthma: Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know you are trying to do the best you can for your cat.
Feline asthma, while untreated is a critical situation for a cat, treated they can live very good lives. They can be treated with a cat inhaler as stated above or with pills. Either way is acceptable for a cat. You do need a veterinarian that will know to check for it.

Of course it could be something else. But look for a feline only Veterinarian if you can and just try to get enough money together for an exam. Once you are in the door it is allot harder for someone to not do anything to help.
i know where I work, we get many "charity" case cats in. I know I bring in several a year as well as other people and of course many just walk in the door. My Veterinarian where I work has even gone as far as allowing some people to work off their bill when their cat needed an expensive surgery or treatment that they couldn't afford, and they didn't qualify for any of the groups that help people and animals.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this.

It really sounds like asthma. I will have to agree with daftcat75 daftcat75 ; If your family cannot provide treatment, surrendering Molly to a rescue seems like the most humane thing to do.

They can treat Molly, finding a great home, and even a foster family who will take care of her...

I wish you luck, ((((hugs)))

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya, I made a post about the declining health of my inside cat Molly, and I just wanted to update everyone on the situation with him.

A few days after that initial post my cousin called up her vet and said they didn’t have an appointment till next Monday. I tried waiting but his condition kept getting worse. So she ended up calling them and took me there for an emergency appointment.

When we got Molly into the carrier he wasn’t meowing or fighting or anything, which if you knew him would think is very weird. So that wasn’t a good sign.

When we arrived at the vet she took a look at him, took his weight and all that,he wasn’t fight or anything which was very unusual for him cause he would usually fight tooth and nail at the vet. His weight was 6.3 pounds, he hadn’t been eating or drinking and tried to bite me when I tried to get water in him. He had lost about 3 pounds since his last vet visit at our regular vet.

The vet told me he was severely dehydrated, at first before they took xrays she thought he might have had fluid in his lungs due to the way he was breathing, but xrays showed it was most definitely real bad asthma, thanks to everyone who pointed it out by the way.

The vet had to inject him with some fluids so he wouldn’t be dehydrated anymore andgave him an adrenaline shot to get him up and eating again. Vet says he’ll probably need that shot every 4-6 weeks for the rest of this life, but I’m just glad I finally got some answers.

Good news is as soon as he got home from the vet he almost immediately started eating and drinking. He’s been walking more, eating better even if he still real skinny right now.

Since he’s gotten home he’s been acting more like himself than he has in the last few months, laying down with me, following me to the kitchen, and just not laying in one spot constantly. He’s doing much better, thank you everyone who encouraged me to get my other family to take him to the vet. It was a real help. Hopefully this picture of him works.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy for you both, and glad there was a vet who would see you as an emergency.