Little Things From Childhood

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about my childhood lately. It's mostly little things I remember:

My Beauty and the Beast Tiger Electronics handheld.
My . . . well, *everything* Lion King.
My collection of cassette tapes, which gave way to CDs by 1998.
My first Tamagotchi, which was a dinosaur.

And there is a picture of me on my first day of kindergarten, wearing neon clothing and a neon backpack. I was a 90s kid for sure :lol:

What little things do you remember from your childhood?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Drinking Kool-aid
Roller Skating
Root Beer Floats
Sled Riding
My aunt's homemade pizza
My mother's cooking
Her homemade orange-aid
Double features at the movies
Being allowed to see the double features alone when I was 10 (small own)
and getting popcorn, malted milk balls, augur daddies, etc

So many good memories

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walking to the movie theater and the city pool with my sister

Eating popcorn snd drinking Pepsi watching TV at night with my family

All my animals that I loved so dearly, my 'zoo'

Walking to school with jeans on under my dress (girls couldn't wear pants to school) during a snowstorm. It finally was cold enough for mom to drive us to school, then the car would never start! School was an even 16 blocks away.

Walking down alleys when I was a kid on the way home from school. You never knew what treasures you could find that other people don't want!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the posters out of the middle of Cat Fancy magazine and had them taped on every possible surface in my bedroom :D.

The base Captain had a super fancy backyard that was never used, as Captains are too busy for such things. It had ponds and bridges and little Japanese temples and so on. One Captain had a girl my age so we made friends and a group of us would have all kinds of fun in that yard. When that Captain and his family moved, the next one didn't have kids. So my friends and I would put my cat over the fence, then go knock on the door and tell the housekeeper that our cat went in and we had to go catch her. They let us, most of the time! We tried not to do it too often and were always very careful not to break anything or make a mess, and as far as I know nobody ever got mad about it.

Kids on base were given ID cards at age 10 and this meant we could go in the stores and use the bus without a parent. My friends and I were ALL OVER that base using the bus. Mostly to the pool and the library but we would get off at every stop and explore. We knew every inch after a year or so.

At the next base, they had $1-per-game bowling on Tuesdays. We'd go and bowl for hours. Since we were homeschooled we had lots of time for that so we'd go around 10 am and stay until 3 pm when the school kids showed up and it got too crowded. There was a pizza place in the same building so we didn't have to leave for lunch.

I played every sport that Youth Sports offered. Baseball, golf, soccer, basketball. I wasn't very good at any of them but they weren't allowed to kick anyone off the team :tongue:. I was usually the only girl but I didn't care.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lisa Frank school supplies
Beanie Babies
Gel Pens
Watching Nick@Nite for the classic sitcom reruns
Stirrup pants (that I wish they now made for adults because I hate when my leggings don't cover my ankles)
The orange VHS tapes from Nickelodeon movies (in particular Harriet the Spy)
Going through toy catalogs and circling all of the things I wanted

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I was born and went to school in Phoenix, most of my childhood memories are from my Grandma's cattle ranch in Oklahoma.
Fixing fence lines
Being chased by the bull
Shucking corn
Sitting on the rim of the big pond (more like a small lake) and popping off water moccasins and snapping turtles with my 22.
Fishing late night with lights turned off under the dam of Ft. Gibson lake. Kind of illegal, but we needed to restock the pond.
Herding cattle along with Shep. 3/4 wolf 1/4 English Shephard.
Oh, and Star Wars. I was a teen, but I had a thing for Mark Hamill and saw the movie about 100 times. I still have all the BK drinking glasses and an action figure of Luke. And some of the Happy Meal toys (original Star Wars, not the new ones).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saturday morning cartoons
Playing in the streets/bush/river, et all...and it being OK to do so
Going to the corner store to get penny candy
Ice cream trucks
Hopscotch and jump rope
Turning my driveway into a masterpiece with colored chalk
When "downtown" was safe and bustling, now it's just a cesspool of drugs, drunks and scary people.
Being able to swim for hours on end without getting cold....I don't know what happen! Now I basically have to be melting to stand jumping in a lake and last more than 15 minutes.
Going to my grandparents' camps.
Sweet Valley (kids/twins/high), Goosebumps and Fear Street (R.L. Stein) and Christopher Pike books.
When life was simple.....:cloud9:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being able to swim for hours on end without getting cold....I don't know what happen! Now I basically have to be melting to stand jumping in a lake and last more than 15 minutes.
That and being able to go on carnival spinning rides without getting nauseous! Growing up is lame sometimes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My beloved cats (from conception on!), great times with my parents and extended family, visiting my paternal grandparents on the weekends, watching TV with my dad when my mom went out to party with her girlfriends, helping my mom in the kitchen from the time I could stand, being homeschooled by my parents, listening to music with my dad, playing in our (to me) big back yard, playing ball in the street with the kids on the block, and going up to Lone Pine with my folks and grandma or friends.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being grown up sucks in many ways. I'd freeze time and stay at 8 or 9 years old if I could.

Playing out all the time climbing trees, building damns in the stream etc.
Only having two and a half TV channels so we could look forward to an upcoming programme as a family.
Only buying sweets once a week with my pocket money so it was a real treat.
Having a sense of wonder at the World.
My theme seems to be something of a rationing of things so they're appreciated more rather than an over-abundance of everything at our finger tips.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being grown up sucks in many ways. I'd freeze time and stay at 8 or 9 years old if I could.

Playing out all the time climbing trees, building damns in the stream etc.
Only having two and a half TV channels so we could look forward to an upcoming programme as a family.
Only buying sweets once a week with my pocket money so it was a real treat.
Having a sense of wonder at the World.
My theme seems to be something of a rationing of things so they're appreciated more rather than an over-abundance of everything at our finger tips.
I like that! We had next to nothing when I was growing up, but my parents kind of spoiled me, I guess, because they loved me. I'd say, looking back, that I had too much of a lot of things. But the thing I had the most of, that you can never have too much of, is love.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being confident and carefree enough to just go up to anyone and chat. I made so many "holiday friends" and would spend the whole week or so of my holidays playing with children who were strangers to me, but we got on swimmingly. I still remember well, a pair of French twins I met at a resort in Italy, who I played with every day when they went in the pool - we didn't understand each other, but a language barrier wasn't necessary when you were all 6/7 years old!
I also miss it being acceptable for me to wear fancy dress in public, and of course the television programmes. :thumbsup:

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tree climbing and building tree forts with my brothers... when we were young we lived in a northern suburb of Athens, Greece, and the home we rented had a HUGE yard with some excellent trees to climb! There was a gully or ravine behind our property with a stream running through it, so we spent a lot of time exploring that area and checking out the critters. Our neighborhood was semi-rural with low population, so there were heaps of old abandoned homes nearby & farmhouses with orchards still growing... we'd explore these places and eat fruit straight off the trees, nobody around to tell us otherwise. The "American Club" was within walking distance from our house, and we'd take a shortcut through piney woods to get there... go swimming in the pool and lounge in the sun afterward. Hit the JUSMAG Theater on Friday or Saturday evening and see the latest movie for only a quarter... a QUARTER!!! And every summer, we'd load all our gear on the full-length roof rack of our VW Bus and go camping dirt cheap throughout Western Europe!!! Man, those were the days, life was so idyllic when my folks were still together... those five years from 1968-1973 were some of the best years I've had on this planet. It was a separate reality back then, life was simple and it was good to be a kid... :yess:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember my huge crush on the youngest grandson of our elderly neighbors. I remember one time being sent nextdoor for sugar and was disappointed when his older brother opened the door instead. I Iooked him up on Facebook a few years ago and didn't really find him attractive anymore so my taste in men has changed since I was like five or six. Although I still only like guys I have no chance with so I guess not too much has changed lol

I also remember trying to fix injured bugs and frogs. I put medicine and a bandaid on a half stepped on worm, and a frog with a hurt leg. Probably unintentionally killed them all but my heart was in the right place lol I wanted to be a vet for most of my childhood. Now after putting that to rest because I no longer have the desire for it, people keep randomly telling me to be a vet tech. I'm thinking about exploring that possible career path next year tbh to see if it'd be something that I would like to do.

I put little Kelly doll overalls on a frog once. I wanted to Mommy and baby every living thing, honestly, which included dressing them up. No wonder my first cat hated my guts. I put him in a onesie and buckled him in a bouncy seat once. Yeah he probably fantasized about my death every day lol