Little sore patch / skin tag?

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody,

My cat, Coco, female 7-8 years old, Birman breed, has a sore spot on her underside on her chest, towards the top. I've put a photo here but it does look more sore in reality than the picture shows - it was hard to get her to keep still!

cocosorespot.jpg

Anyway, that little white spot is like a skin tag, doesn't seem to hurt when I touch it, but the skin above looks so sore and red and like it has been bleeding made me wonder if she had pulled her fur out itching it or something (I have not seen her do this though).

This might sound funny but it's not just a nipple is it? It is in the center of her chest and not really towards the side where I thought cat nipples are so i'm presuming it isn't but I thought going to the vet to be told it's a nipple would be really embarrassing and time wasting for both the cat and the vet!!

I have no problem to take Coco to the vet if necessary but i'm not really sure what to do and was hoping someone might have some experience or advice here. :) We all know pets hate visits to the vet so I don't want to go unless it needs to be checked.

Just to say- she eats, sleeps, drinks, plays and is a happy healthy cat other than this little thing.

Many thanks for reading!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper had an "ouchie" like that, just recently.

It looked very similar to your picture. We don't know where he got it.

It seemed like he got a cut, somehow. It's weird because he's a totally indoor cat.
It was right in the middle of his back, near his shoulders, slightly to the left side.
We figured he was crawling under some furniture and he stood up and hit his back on something hard.

Casper didn't seem bothered by it except that it was a bit tender to the touch.

Anyhow, we clipped the fur from around the sore and put a little dab of ointment on it.
(The sore was on his back where he can't lick.)

A week later, the sore healed up and the scab fell off, just yesterday.
Today, but for the postage stamp sized furless patch, you can't even tell there was an ouchie on Casper!
The fur will grow back in a couple of weeks.

I'd say to keep an eye on it. If it gets infected (red, swollen or oozy) call the vet.
Put some ointment on it if you want. (We use "A+D Ointment"... No medicine in it. Just ointment.)
If the cat's hair is getting into the cut, use a small pair of sewing scissors or similar and carefully trim the fur from around the cut. (Assuming the cat will let you.)

If it doesn't get better in a couple-few days, call the vet. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you so much for the reply, I will monitor it every day and hope it all heals. You have helped to ease my mind! And I am glad Casper is ok :)

What about the little white bobble/bump of skin? Any ideas on this?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you so much for the reply, I will monitor it every day and hope it all heals. You have helped to ease my mind! And I am glad Casper is ok :)

What about the little white bobble/bump of skin? Any ideas on this?
The white bobble is her nipple, if I'm not mistaken.

For my input, I always do the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" test with myself when I'm wondering whether to take my cat to the vet for something that worries me: if I don't take her in, will I keep worrying about it or regret not going in? When was the last time I took my cat in for a well check?

Since your kitty is middle-aged and the sore is where it is, I guess my advice would be to take her in to your vet to have it looked at, just to be sure.
:hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you so much :) I'm laughing that I was unable to be sure it was a nipple haha. This eases my mind so much!

Oh my gosh I never thought of her as middle aged before! It is true though! Just they are my babies :)

Thanks again both of you for your kind responses, it's been incredibly helpful!