Little Rant? (maybe)

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I few weeks ago, I said I'd be trying a new vet. I gave them my files but didn't switch over Felix's or Smokey's because I like the veterinarians that deal with cats at the old clinic. Just not the dog ones. I thought I'd really enjoy this new vet because the first experience was really positive and I enjoyed it. However, it seems like when money got involved, things went downhill. Very fast. I have a new puppy which I wasn't prepared for since I had planned on getting a rescue. But when that didn't work out and my mom got me a puppy, I thought I knew enough. But I was wrong. Upon further research, I learned a whole lot about vaccinations and there is so much controversy. Just like with raw feeding. I closed the laptop feeling very upset. If I had know better, I wouldn't have made Daisy get those extra vaccines. I felt like I was pressured to spend more money at this new vet. Which in fact I did, I was told that it would only cost me $41 but I walked out of the clinic spending $150+. I had to borrow money from my mom to cover the rest. I feel at a total loss now. I've been to so many vets in the past few years and it seems like money cast a very dark shadow over the well being of pets. I was also so scarred Daisy would get parvovirus or something so I kept researching until I felt sick. I started second guessing everything. I'm even thinking that I should cancel the appointment she has set for 16 weeks for her last vaccination because I'm afraid that I'm over vaccinating her. I wanted to have a titer test in a few weeks to check her immunity for the diseases she's apparently at risk for but the vet said, "Why would you want that? It's so expensive!" But I'm sure it's better than over vaccinating my puppy at such a young age. She's been on strange streets, the dog park, puppy classes, etc. I know the risk but she has a very important purpose in life and I wanted to make sure she is well socialized. The vet also didn't say anything about her getting parvovirus! The vet actually put Daisy on the ground herself! Which is probably where she would most likely get the disease in the first place. I'm getting really sick of this. This is part of the reason why I don't take my cats often unless it's absolutely necessary. I always seem to get the short end of the stick and have issues with vets. I honestly don't want to go back to either vet. I don't know what to do. Has anyone ever experienced this? Please let me know because all this run around has been exhausting and stressful for not only Daisy but me as well. I'd appreciate anything.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about dog vaccination but I do know for our 9 year old dog we try to limit his vaccines due to his age. I've been told they don't need the kennel cough one unless they have contact with other dogs. I think he only gets the law required vaccinations and the heart worm test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about dog vaccination but I do know for our 9 year old dog we try to limit his vaccines due to his age. I've been told they don't need the kennel cough one unless they have contact with other dogs. I think he only gets the law required vaccinations and the heart worm test.
I see. But I've always been uneasy about vaccinations. With not only my pets but myself as well. I wish I could explain to you but there is just so much to cover. I could provide links if you are interested. They are in interesting read.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do NOT want your puppy to get parvo. I would do the full range of puppy shots, and a booster at 1 year. After that you can look into other options. I agree that older dogs shouldn't get too many vaccines, but a lot of puppies die from parvo and you don't want to risk that.

Some vets do jack up the bill by offering too much. What else did they do?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the deal with puppies and vaccines is the same as with kittens and vaccines, they do get a series of shots. It does make sense. There is a strong anti-vaccine movement for humans and our pets but it isn't really based on science. The baby animals have residual antibodies from their mom. Those antibodies also fight the vaccine which lessen their immunity effect. They get around that with a series of vaccines to keep them fully protected. Once the antibodies from the mom are out of the system then the vaccines take full effect.

There are legitimate concerns about over vaccinating adult animals but I don't believe that those concerns are legitimate about the babies.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
You do NOT want your puppy to get parvo. I would do the full range of puppy shots, and a booster at 1 year. After that you can look into other options. I agree that older dogs shouldn't get too many vaccines, but a lot of puppies die from parvo and you don't want to risk that.

Some vets do jack up the bill by offering too much. What else did they do?
I'm aware but as of right now, she's not going back to that vet and I don't have plans for her to receive anymore vaccinations. I'm a hypocondriac (very severe) and the same concern for myself extends to my animals. It gives me great anxiety. I've done a lot of digging around and I'd prefer to not go through with the vaccines.

I also looked into recent parvovirus cases in my city in the past 5 years but couldn't find any. The new vet also wasn't very concerned about her going out and socializing.

The vet told me she needed bordetella and another vaccine along with the core. Which didn't make sense. She didn't give me time to think and I was ignorant at the time. Most of the vaccines they give dogs in my city, there hasn't been a case in several years. The disease would appear almost nonexistent. You can ask any vet here but only some will tell you the truth.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I skip bordetella unless I need to put them in a boarding kennel (it's required). I wonder what the other vaccine was? I'm not aware of anything other than the core vaccine that is given to puppies.

While parvo risk does depend on your area (in the South it's basically a death sentence if you don't vaccinate fully, in colder climates it's not as prevalent), I'd urge you to either give a parvo booster or have a titer done after 16 weeks (when maternal antibodies have faded). While the other diseases are somewhat rare and may not be as severe, parvo is a puppy killer, so you want to make sure a young dog has full immunity.

The disease risk is far higher than any risk from the vaccine.

Where are you finding info on how many parvo cases there are in your area? It's not something the CDC keeps track of because it doesn't affect humans. If you know of a database, please share! That could be very useful for a lot of us.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not so much a database. I just call different vets in a particular region but there's hardly any cases for parvovirus that they know of. And like I said, I've been taking my puppy outside since she was about 8 weeks so she's been exposed to a lot of things. I wouldn't be surprised if she's already immune. I asked to have the titer test done but my vet won't do it. I also didn't like the tone or the way she talked to me when I said I wanted it done. I doubt I'll be going back there. I also check online on some forums and looked for any reported cases of parvovirus in my area but they have all been out of province. And another thing, most of the people I've spoken to (my dog trainer, friends, other dog owners, etc.) haven't even known about the parvovirus risk. I guess it's because there hasn't been much at all.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or it's that people who have their dogs die of parco don't vaccinate or go to the vet. It's not worth the risk.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
But I've also heard that dogs who received the vaccine and still get parvovirus are less likely to survive. The ones are aren't vaccinated and are treated have a better survival rate.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many dogs get the vaccine and then get the virus?

I think you're looking at freak cases and should look at the norm.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are all sources from a holistic site that is intended to refute traditional medicine.

I used to work in the alternative medicine field, and fully understand how they use scare tactics. They are scaring you on purpose.

It upsets me when people feel they are keeping themselves or their pets safe when they are actually endangering them. The vast majority of dogs who get parvo die a horrible death.

Do your own research, but also make sure you are using neutral sources. The one source above absolutely has an agenda.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, ask yourself why you believe THEM. Do they have better evidence? Do you like their methodology better? Be sure you really do agree with them instead of falling for scare tactics.

Remember that humans (and dogs) had a MUCH shorter average lifespan back when things were "natural".

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done my research and I've also looked at other sources which aren't holistic. It's not that I'm scared but I'm just concerned and since this isn't all black and white, there is still so much debate. This is why I don't like bringing up the topic because many see natural remedies and holistic things as not support by science so they have no relevance.

Because of certain health issues I have, my doctor (regular doctor, not a holistic doctor in any way) even told me that a natural approach would be better long term. So, for a majority of my life, I've always look at two sides to things. Especially the holistic approach.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done my research and I've also looked at other sources which aren't holistic. It's not that I'm scared but I'm just concerned and since this isn't all black and white, there is still so much debate. This is why I don't like bringing up the topic because many see natural remedies and holistic things as not support by science so they have no relevance.
As I said, I've been in the world. I get it. I just don't think you're looking at information that is neutral.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, ask yourself why you believe THEM. Do they have better evidence? Do you like their methodology better? Be sure you really do agree with them instead of falling for scare tactics.

Remember that humans (and dogs) had a MUCH shorter average lifespan back when things were "natural".
What do you mean by that? "Natural"? Was holistic treatment a thing back then?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holistic treatments have been around since people began to reason and try to come up with ways to cure illness. I think what she means is before things like vaccines and antibiotics.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Holistic treatments have been around since people began to reason and try to come up with ways to cure illness. I think what she means is before things like vaccines and antibiotics.
Despite this, it seems as though every time I make a decision with regard to my pet's health, especially if I'd like to try the holistic route, I'm always tested and judged. It makes me feel like a bad person. It's just what I believe. I'm so confused now. My puppy has been to the dog park, dirty streets of downtown flooded with all kinds of dogs, the ground of the unsanitary vet clinic, and puppy classes where hundreds of dogs of all kinds pass through. She's been petted and greated by all kinds of people and she's met about 12 or more different dogs already. It wasn't an overnight decision to take this "risk". Even when I decided to feed her raw meat, my decision was judged so I ended up starting her on some dry food. I'd like to think that I've armed myself with enough knowledge and that I'm not ignorant although there are still things I'm unaware of.