Little Rant? (maybe)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn't receive her last vaccine which was the 16 week booster. That's all. She still had the 8 week and 12 week vaccine done. Not sure what to do at this point.

The two vets also didn't directly say that she needed to be vaccinated. The first vet didn't agree with raw feeding and that conversation about her trying to tell me why it's so bad overcrowded the actual examination. Didn't feel like I should have went back because I felt cornered since no one was with me. The second vet is a whole other story. Didn't like her attitude with me when I tried asking questions about titer test and whatnot. Also didn't like the way they too tried to push dry food on me. I got fed up and tried it. It was a nightmare. Daisy lost a ton of weight, I could see her ribs and spine so I threw that food out immediately following.

I also know what it's like because I've recieved every vaccination required from birth til now. I had an extremely religious neighbor who swore by God's name that the government was trying to exterminate us by vaccination so she didn't have any of her children after the first one vaccinated. The first one recieved minimal vaccines or none at all. The other four had no vaccines. They were sick *all the time*. Literally. It got to the point where I couldn't visit her anymore because her conspiracies about population control and blah blah blah got uncomfortable for everyone. I'm just trying to be careful this time with my puppy.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is your dog and completely your choice. Whatever you decide is up to you. I would like to point out a few details for you to consider though.
Parvo lives in the environment for years. You can watch where you step, it doesn't matter, it can still be there.
If it is humid where you live or entering the monsoon season, parvo will be on the rise very shortly.
The only way to be immune is to either get it and live or receive shots. (first the initial then the yearly booster)
My dog had 3 of 4 shots when he was exposed and got it. The vet said that if he had received all 4, he most likely would have been immune. (he was due for his fourth soon, but not soon enough)
It also has an incubation of 14 days.

Good luck with your decision, and although I don't understand it...I respect it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me just clarify, it was never my intention for her to not receive the last vaccination. I'm sure if the vet would have just listened to me, she would have gotten it already. However, like I said multiple times, the vet was not listening. Not answering my questions. That's where the problem is. I had very simply questions but her attitude caught me off guard. I would like her to get her final vaccinations and the rabies vaccine but I have yet to find a decent veterinarian that can answer my questions. That's why I said in the post before all these replies that I would hold off on the final vaccination until I can find a vet that will listen to me.

I hate going to a vet and having them just jab my pet and done. I want to have a conversation, ask questions and gain a better understanding from someone who I assume is an expert and knows a lot more than me obviously or else they wouldn't be in a clinical setting. Please understand this. I know how important vaccination is. But with all the bad experiences and my anxiety, it was a huge turn off. There's no way I'm going to sit here and pray that she doesn't get sick. Plus, she has to get the final shot anyway or else I'd be kicked out of her puppy class. The trainer checks the records yet she's very understand so...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand about the vet issue. I don't like any up here and I am limited to who I can see. I have to go to another town because the one in this town is an idiot.
Can you give the shot yourself? Obviously, not the rabies. I get mine at the local feed store for $10 and it's very easy to do. This way, I know they are protected and I don't have to deal with the price gouging moron vet.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand about the vet issue. I don't like any up here and I am limited to who I can see. I have to go to another town because the one in this town is an idiot.
Can you give the shot yourself? Obviously, not the rabies. I get mine at the local feed store for $10 and it's very easy to do. This way, I know they are protected and I don't have to deal with the price gouging moron vet.
Unfortunately, no. Only a veterinarian can administer the vaccination. That's the only way it can be seen as "legal". I've also never heard of it being sold anywhere at all. I usually read the reviews before I go to a vet. I've done this several times but despite my efforts, all seem to have a problem with the way I raise my animals.

Let it also be known that I'd like to have her vaccinations done before I go back to school in September. I'm currently looking into an animal rescue that might offer vaccines at a discounted price. I also think that after the incident with the last vet, I got really paranoid and skeptical about why all this is important but I totally understand. I just need to find that vet I can connect with. Even if it means trying out a few. Some have free consultations. Hopefully that will give me a good glimpse into just how well they can operate their clinic and how they treat their patients.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, no. Only a veterinarian can administer the vaccination. That's the only way it can be seen as "legal". I've also never heard of it being sold anywhere at all
I was talking about the 4-1 that includes parvo. You are correct, the vet is the only one that can inject rabies.
To me, parvo is far more of a realistic threat than rabies ever was. Unless, you let your pet run free.
LIke I said, with my beagle, the owner brought it in on his shoe, the dog was no where around.
A free consultation to find a good vet is a brilliant idea. Either this, or take him to a shot clinic, bite the bullet and just get it done.
But, whichever you decide is up to you entirely.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah! No way I wasn't going to get the rabies vaccination. Too much of a risk where I live. There are as many skunks and raccoons as there are squirrels. Just the other way, I saw a family of skunks crossing the street in a perfect line. Thought they were cats but upon further inspection, they were surely not. I also had a stare down with a raccoon last night when I took Daisy out to pee. I was so scared. After the skunks and raccoons made it known that they aren't afraid of the dog, I don't let her out on her own without a leash. Ever. But yes... I was referring to the core vaccines. Not just the parvo. I'm sure I can find a shot clinic.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like some help? I can google clinics in your area for you. I just need to know what town you're closest to.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure! I live in Ontario, Canada. I travel to both the East end to the West end. So anything between Oakville and Ajax is fine. But nothing too far North. So nothing past New Market. Because I probably will need to take the bus.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found this:

https://www.torontohumanesociety.com/pdfs/Spay_Neuter_Fee_Guide.pdf

Tell me if you can find a price that beats this one. If not than I'll go ahead and fill out the appointment form.

Edit: Does anyone at all know anything about the 1 year vaccine for rabies vs the 3 year vaccine? I emailed Toronto animal services and they said:

Hello,

With respect to Rabies vaccination, a titre test is not considered a substitute for vaccine. A pet can be exempt from the vaccine by a veterinarian if there are health concerns. Rabies vaccine licensed for 3 year intervals is recommended for adult dogs that have received their first Rabies vaccine at 3 – 4 months of age. I would recommend you discuss what's best for your dog with your veterinarian. I have attached some literature that explains the process in more detail.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Kind regards,

Esther

Esther Attard, BSc, DVM

Chief Veterinarian, Toronto Animal Services

Municipal Licensing & Standards

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! It's not too bad. Although, it would be nice to have an examination again.

I've also attached a pretty interesting read if you're up for it.

The OSPCA is also known for their long wait list but the clinic I found, you usually get an appointment within a month so I do prefer that since it's sooner.

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was an interesting read.

I personally, don't do rabies shots. My beagle is allergic (he had convulsions the only time I gave it), so that's out. Also, there is no running water near me, so I don't have skunks or coons. Even with 40 acres, they are never off leash and never out of site. Also, I never take them anywhere.
But, we do have enough canine predators and wild dogs that they get the core vaccines every single year.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that completely. It's just that, with me, the wild life is way too "friendly". The squirrels are so tame it's uncanny. The skunks and raccoons still come back no matter what you do. They simply don't care. Way too risky for me. One day, I was down in the country side and I saw a coyote for the first time in my life. It was in a park. I thought someone had lost their dog but when I looked closer, it surely was no dog at all. My heart dropped. Luckily, Daisy was with grandma that day.

I once had Raccoons dig a hole through my roof and come into my house. Lucky for them, there was a chair so conveniently placed right under the hole so that they had easy access in and out of my house. They sure had fun that day. Felix was out at the time. Thank God he has all his vaccines.

Last edited:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To answer your question from my post a while back, in my area of New England lyme disease is a huge epidemic yet many doctors and vets minimize it. Many of my friends have or had chronic lyme and many animals I know also have or had it. The vaccine either prevents it or minimizes the severity. My dog wasn't vaccinated when I got him from the shelter last year which I didn't realize and he got lyme within a couple of months of my adopting him.. He was vaccinated fir bordatella too late at the pound so got it any way and took months to recover and still coughs and has spots on his lungs. So I vaccinate him for everything yearly except rabies and distemper which are 3 years. He goes to the dog park daily, will eat snow and ice and poop and has to stop and sniff and meet every dog he sees. He also tries to drink from puddles and there's been leptospirosis cases the past few years right in my neighborhood the past few years as well as parvo. He also goes to doggy daycare.
My last dog I vaccinated yearly as well and he never got lyme or any other diseases.
With rabies if you get the one year shot 2 years in a row you can then get the 3 year shot. But you have to ask for it and some places only carry the 1 year now because apparently a recent study found increased evidence of vaccine site cancers with the 3 year rabies injections. I still want the 3 years as much as possible and prefer to vaccinate as least often as possible for adult dogs. Puppies need the full series to build basic immunity. So I get all the vaccines because my dog is very social and goes everywhere but try to get longer lasting ones. Many of them only last one year though.

I can empathize with vets not listening I've had many experiences of that. Yes they're the experts but I know my animals and they don't always respect stressor or the mind body connection or incorporate vitamins or suppliments or everything. And symptoms and test results can be atypical sometimes.

Around here pet store chains give low cost vaccines and wellness exams. Petco and Petsmart but I don't know if they're in Canada.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I filled out the appointment form and got an appointment for August 1st.

But I've heard that the one year and three year vaccine are the exact same so how could there be cancer at the injection site? Do you have articles or something that I could take a look at?

I did a bit of research and I noticed a pattern. People who vaccinated and their pet had a reaction, they either developed lymphoma or hemangiosarcoma. Sarcoma was one too. Very frightening.

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
What the vets claim and what the latest research shows are two different kettles of fish. The vets claim that the binder used to make the vaccine last three years is what's triggering the cancer, the binder for the one year is totally different. The latest research says that it's the actual injection doing it, not the vaccine, not the binder, whenever you put anything via needle into the skin (including subcutaneous fluids) that can cause injection site sarcoma. Why the vets are parroting the old studies and not talking about the newest study, I don't know.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally I think the vets just want the extra income and business of annual vaccines so they're creatively interpreting research or ignoring new research now that there's more assertive clients wanting titers and not wanting to overvaccinate their pets.

I hadn't heard that about any injection causing cancer. Now I feel bad that I could have unknowingly let my cat Inky's life be shortened. He had diabetes and I spent so much time and money getting him healthy and stable again. Just when he was gorgeous and healthy he got ear cancer which is what he died of. For two years vets were always pressuring me to do all day blood sugar checks on him which was sticking needles into his ears repeatedly to draw his blood. I gave him injectable meds too but he had so many ear blood draws that I hope I didn't help cause the cancer thar killed him.