Little Myla

Lizzie20c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted my little Myla on January 12th. She’s about 13 weeks. We were introducing her to our one year old resident cat Autumn and within a few days that have become friends. However, Myla has had diarrhea since we have gotten her. I took a stool sample to the vet and it was negative. They still treated her for worms just in case. We also did blood work. And just her ALT is a little elevated. Has anyone else experienced this? She’s now on prescription food to help her GI tract and liver. I’m very worried.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What was the ALT level? If only slightly elevated - as you did mention - it should just be re-tested in a month or so to see if the level has changed. Did you continue to feed Myla the same food she had previous to you adopting her, or was it changed? If it was changed, that could have caused some minor bowel issues which can affect the ALT level. It sounds like that might be the direction your vet is headed in by putting her on a prescription food for her GI tract. What food did he prescribe? I wouldn't be too worried at this point!!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The other thing that we were told several years ago, when picking up Bengal kittens, was that something that can also cause runny poops is a change in water.

Our kittens came from a breeder in a different area of the country. Different water providers treat the water in different ways, it has different PH values and so on, so it can upset small tummies and cause the runs until their systems get used to it.

I guess it's like when you get advised not to drink the water when you're on holiday.

Just a thought!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lizzie20c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The ALT level was 311 and they said normal is 110. I have changed her food a few times. PetSmart didn’t tell me what the shelter was feeding and I wasn’t thinking and just started her on kitten Blue Buffalo, then I found a paper in the paper work that they feed their cats purina one so I got some of that. And she was also spayed a few days before I adopted her.

Lizzie20c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The food the prescribed is EN gastroenteric

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, that ALT is fairly high. What did the vet say about the previous foods she was on? And, did they recommend a gradual change in food this time - just to help with avoiding further GI issues?

Do you know if your vet did - or plans to check the bile acids in her urine? That can help with determining how the liver is functioning. They can also do a similar test of pre and post (fasting) bile acids in blood, which can tell if there is a problem with liver function. If these tests are normal then usually this tells the vet that they don't need to be too worried about the liver function itself. You can ask the vet about these tests, and at least see what they say. Your vet probably just wants to wait until they re-check her ALT level again before going any further.

Lizzie20c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She went through some options and had mentioned those tests. We have a follow up appointment in three weeks but that was more to see if she’s gaining weight and another worm treatment. I feel like I would just want to do the bile acid test sooner than later. She’s not acting sick, she has an appetite, I don’t think it’s the best but she’s eating and drinking. I would just like to be aggressive if there is anything that we can do. I’m also just still really worried. She’s so little and so sweet. The vet also mentioned one of the most common reason this sometimes happens in young cats is a portosystemic shunt

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your vet sounds like she is pretty much on top of this. I think she is taking a conservative approach because of Myla's age and the fact other factors can play a role in the ALT level - or, at least that is my (uneducated) guess. 3 weeks sounds reasonable, but certainly press the issue about your concerns at that time.

I had to look up the portosystemic shunt! And, yes it would appear the bile tests are one of the recommended routes to go, and even perhaps an ultrasound. As I am sure you already know, diagnosis of this would likely require surgery, so you can certainly appreciate why your vet wants to let some time pass before heading anywhere near this path.

Keep us posted on Myla!!!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hope she recovers soon
Maybe changing up the food too much is upsetting her stomach?