Little City Dogs

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The title might say it all. What exactly are they selling? It appears to be copy cat versions of Capstar and the like. Yesterday at the vet's office, a client expressed concern that her TNRed cats were having flea problems and another client went over and explained that she needs to buy products from this site to deflea and deworm them. FDA has issued warning to them. I thought about cautioning the first woman, but wasn't sure what I was cautioning her about since I was unfamiliar beyond having quickly googled them on my phone.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell generic versions of name brand flea and worm meds. They used to sell through Amazon but they don't any more. Guardian Pet Products is another company that has similar generic flea and worm meds, and also used to sell through Amazon but now sells only through their own web site. I don't know if there are actually any problems with the meds these companies sell, or if they are just small businesses being targeted by bigger businesses.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This from their website "
Lufenuron kills 85% of the fleas… juveniles… eggs and larvae. Killing them ends the population, but Lufenuron does not kill adult fleas. To kill adult fleas, use Nitenpyram."

the active ingredient is nitenpyram.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generic Capstar = nitenpyram
Generic Program = lufenuron
They are different medications.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have ordered from them many times when I was caring for feral cats. I had very good luck and success in helping to keep fleas and tape worms at bay.

When you are a feral cat caregiver, your resources are few and far between.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks so much.....if they are safe I will research them as I do have ferals outside who will need some treatments.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you lutece lutece for sort of pointing out that I forgot to put whose website. The information in post #3 is from the Little City Dogs website their section on cats. I must have been distracted and didn't finish the post. I apologize.

They seem, and I could be wrong about this, offering the same flea product for cats and for small dogs.

Here is their website addy

Little City Dogs

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Capstar and Program are the same for cats and small dogs too.
Not quite. Capstar (nitenpyram) is normally the same dose for cats and small dogs (11.4mg for cats of any size and dogs up to 25 lbs), but Program (lufenuron) is normally used at a higher dose per pound in cats than dogs (cats 15 mg per lb, dogs 5 mg per lb). Program normally comes in several strengths for different sizes of dogs and cats and is labeled separately for dogs and cats because the dosage is different.

The Little City Dogs product is labeled as "165 mg lufenuron for cats 2-11 lbs and dogs 2-35 lbs," which is not equivalent to the name brand Program (133 mg for cats 2-10 lbs, 45 mg for dogs 2-10 lbs, 90 mg for dogs 10-20 lbs, etc). For cats it's close enough, but for dogs under 10 lbs it's more than three times the dose you would normally give your dog. Fortunately these products have a wide range of safety in both cats and dogs.

Guardian Pet Products has a range of capsules with different dosages that are supposed to be exactly equivalent to Program.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I haven't used any lufenuron in years so I just glanced at that one. I do use a lot of nitenpyram though, I knew that one was the same.