Little cat poops on the floor

mrsduque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks ago my 3 year old Sylvester was bleeding from his rectum. Vet took X-rays ran blood work did digital exam, no answers. She gave him prescription to stop bleeding, and it did. Then he started oozing soft poop. We tried a probiotic but did not help. The oozing has stopped but now he leaves little “dingleberries” everywhere. It’s as if they just pop out at random. I find them everywhere. I check his rectum every time I can catch him. Sometimes it’s wet with what looks like liquid poop. My vet is baffled. Any one have any ideas?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two weeks ago my 3 year old Sylvester was bleeding from his rectum. Vet took X-rays ran blood work did digital exam, no answers. She gave him prescription to stop bleeding, and it did. Then he started oozing soft poop. We tried a probiotic but did not help. The oozing has stopped but now he leaves little “dingleberries” everywhere. It’s as if they just pop out at random. I find them everywhere. I check his rectum every time I can catch him. Sometimes it’s wet with what looks like liquid poop. My vet is baffled. Any one have any ideas?
Did your vet run a parasite check on the poop? Are any of his poops in the pan? And if so, are they too hard? What was the anti-bleeding drug he was prescribed. (Just curious)

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did your vet run a parasite check on the poop? Are any of his poops in the pan? And if so, are they too hard? What was the anti-bleeding drug he was prescribed. (Just curious)
Does he strain to defecate?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
along with leaving dingleberries, what does it look like in the litterbox? Is he pooping normally in there. I have the exact same questions as Xena44 Xena44 because leaving dingleberries around the house is often a sign of constipation, as is fresh blood. AND, constipation is sometimes followed or preceded by diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsduque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The medication the vet gave is metronidazole. He took it for 5 days and the bleeding stopped. He had a fecal check and it was fine. He always poops in the pan and none were hard. He was laying in my lap last night just chillin, out of the blue I smelled cat poop. I looked and he had a small poop (not dingleberry) between his back legs. Rather soft, formed like an elongated football. I have found this more than once. Poop on his butt (small) that he apparently is unaware of. He does not constantly lick himself so I assume he does not itch or is in pain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Technically, the metronidazole should be out of his system by now, perhaps it has screwed up his digestive tract in the longer term. Also, if one probiotic you tried didn't work, you might consider trying another.

But, as the others above have said, this could still be related to constipation and what is happening is that feces will sometimes 'squeeze' out around hard stool in the colon and appear to be either diarrhea or very loose stool. I think the metro probably just temporarily corrected symptoms of an underlying problem that has yet to be resolved. Is he pooping a normal amount for him, or does it seem to be less than before? That could also be an indicator of some level of constipation going on.

A second opinion from a vet in an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias) might be in order. You can get copies of the results of any tests that have been done from your current vet (for free) and share those with another vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to reiterate, PRIOR to the first time you noticed any blood, everything was perfectly normal? Stools were fine, no straining, no loose stools, no hard stools, he was defecating regularly and the usual amount? And NOW? I'm a little confused because your response above said "He always poops in the pan and none were hard." Some of this is past tense, and you have stated that he is leaving dingleberries everywhere, which is not pooping in the pan as far as I interpret it. I'm wondering is this statement is what it USED to be :dunno: ?

Have you witnessed him when he is leaving these dingleberries? Does he appear to be straining then? If what you witnessed last night is what is causing the dingleberries, then he may have some sort of neurological issue where he doesn't realize he is pooping, altogether a different issue. These dingleberries that you find everywhere, are most of them like last night (kind of soft) or hard they hard? Sorry if I am asking questions you have already answered. I try to go back and re-read your other posts, but still may miss something. I did find this article that may apply. You be the judge: Bowel Incontinence in Cats

mrsduque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything was normal before the blood began. He does always use his box and bowel movements appear to be normal. We have 4 cats so we have to check quickly. Dingleberries was really only used as a physical description. They are not your regular dingleberries as they aren’t sticking in his fur then falling off. He seems unaware that they happen. Some are very soft but none are really hard. I read the article you recommended and found it interesting. I believe what he has sphincter incontinence. The description fits perfectly. I will forward to my vet and am considering a second opinion. Thanks for the information.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know what the Vet says after you discuss with them.

mrsduque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After another discussion with the vet, we are in a holding pattern right now. The problem has abated for the moment. The general consensus is that whatever had irritated his rectum had either passed or healed. Hopefully no more little poops. If anything changes I will repost.