Little Boy's Diet Thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's doing really well thanks. He was still at 8.3 kilos yesterday but his measurements are now 51, 57, 54. Down 1 cm at his front legs and his widest part!

I've been looking for cat harnesses but there is no way the flimsy little things for sale around here will go round him. I thought about getting a small dog harness. In the meantime we've been having daily trots up and down the lane. He's a lot more playful than he was a month or so ago, I guess he's feeling fitter.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A dog harness should work well. Some of them are pretty much the same construction as some styles of cat harness, so you'll have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Very glad that his measurements are going down, at least. That's a very good sign :clap: Keep at it Little Boy - you're doing great :sheep:

meow604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little Boy looks gorgeous! Did you end up getting a dog harness? Is he enjoying his little runs with you? How's the progress for the last week?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks great (but then again I think he always looks great! 
). He does seem to be enjoying the walk although I think that he is enjoying the company as much if not more than the walk.  

I love his markings. He is so handsome. Keep up the good work sweet boy! 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

@Norachan   How is the gorgeous Little Boy doing these days? 

I can def relate to this! I think this fits perfectly. Both myself and my cats LOVE to eat

I do this with Floey my old girl. We have a deadend street or strip of tar that we walk up and down. its slightly down hill so walking back she lays down and rests. We try to do 2 laps from the house nightly. She used to walk with me around the neighborhood. we live in a culdesac (sp?) so no traffic. She is my little dog cat. She is happiest eating or sleeping in the closet. or next to Honeybee. I too cut back on dry food and increased the wet food to twice a day-she still only eats the juice but I can tell she has lost some weight. I started with every other day for cutting back food. Did that for a month and now we are at 1/2 cup dry once a day-once its gone that's it. but lately she didn't eat due to the heat-we will put the AC in this weekend but she still will sleep in the hot room instead with us in the AC. CATS!!

by the way I love these pictures. I love taking my cats for a walk, usually Honeybee and her walk together and chase each other. Floey used to hiss at her but one night honeybee gave her a mousie and since then there has been less hissing and more hanging out together-maybe Honeybee knew she was on a diet and got her a snack?

Good job by the way!!!  Handome boy is looking good strolling down the walkway!

marcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. Lots to read and I haven't read everything but after reading the OP, how much exercise/play does Little Boy get, Norachan Norachan

Ok. Read more about the problem of other cats interrupting and getting a cat harness. Does Little Boy has his feline leukemia shots?

Last edited:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
I just read a couple of pages at the beginning fof the thread the looked to see where you live the the last page.
I am assuming your scale had digital readout.
I use a friends for my youngest daughter and it does ( have to remind my self that there are 16 not 10 ounces in a pound ) Canadians are funny that way metric for mostly everything but produce and people.
Not my biggest cat problems right now but I have 2 cats that need to lose weight Babycat is 3 a fixed male.His weight is about 15 pounds and this winter he got to fat to do a good job on his bottom too. He has ibs and needs no grain but is on a dry only diet. The other Charlotte just moved in with us 8 months ago. she is spayed and 5 years old and 18 pounds and her bottom needs shaving from time to time. She ate grain free dry when she came so has stayed that way; they go outside if they want it so they both eat mice
(couldn't get enough speed or height for birds so I don't feel bad about that) It is not as though they'd be small cats.
This past winter I stopped free feeding and they got no smaller I guess if it is to cold to go outside they don't move much. I wouldn't mind doing wet sometimes but 2-3 a day I can't afford would once help? And if eating it how much kibble is good? I slowly changed from all you can eat to about 1/3 cup twice a day and the food didn't last any longer so maybe they weren't eating all that much??
Hard to judge I also have a 8 month old cat and a skinny 2 year with 5, 5week old kits before she got to far along to jump I would leave out a bowl where the charlotte and babycat could jump. For 11 years I had a littel DSH black cat that ate on top of the fridge because the other two my husbands cats ate weightloss hairball indoor fat cat food. So I already knew about the if you can't get to it weight loss plan.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I can def relate to this! I think this fits perfectly. Both myself and my cats LOVE to eat

I do this with Floey my old girl. We have a deadend street or strip of tar that we walk up and down. its slightly down hill so walking back she lays down and rests. We try to do 2 laps from the house nightly. She used to walk with me around the neighborhood. we live in a culdesac (sp?) so no traffic. She is my little dog cat. She is happiest eating or sleeping in the closet. or next to Honeybee. I too cut back on dry food and increased the wet food to twice a day-she still only eats the juice but I can tell she has lost some weight. I started with every other day for cutting back food. Did that for a month and now we are at 1/2 cup dry once a day-once its gone that's it. but lately she didn't eat due to the heat-we will put the AC in this weekend but she still will sleep in the hot room instead with us in the AC. CATS!!

by the way I love these pictures. I love taking my cats for a walk, usually Honeybee and her walk together and chase each other. Floey used to hiss at her but one night honeybee gave her a mousie and since then there has been less hissing and more hanging out together-maybe Honeybee knew she was on a diet and got her a snack?

Good job by the way!!!  Handome boy is looking good strolling down the walkway!
I think Little Boy may have been a dog in a former life.

I've been able to find a wet food that Little Boy really likes, so I don't think he's missing the dry food that much. He still gets about half a packet of Sheba dry a day as a treat, but he was eating way more dry than that before we started his diet.

Cutting down on the dry seems to be the best way to shift those extra pounds.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow. Lots to read and I haven't read everything but after reading the OP, how much exercise/play does Little Boy get, @Norachan

Ok. Read more about the problem of other cats interrupting and getting a cat harness. Does Little Boy has his feline leukemia shots?
Yes, he's had all of his shots.

He plays with the other cats too, they have a big outdoor enclosure so there's lots of space to run around in. Plenty of bugs to chase at this time of year too.

@howmany  Is Babycat that big, fluffy tux? He's gorgeous! I think every little bit counts, so even if you can only switch one meal of dry food to wet it will make a difference. The wet food seems to keep them satisfied for longer, so maybe they eat a little less than they do if they eat only kibble. With the kibble I think it depends on what kind you are feeding. Look up the amount of calories and fat in the brand your cats like, then work out how much they need in a day.

Here's a guide to the amount of calories a cat needs, depending on their age and weight.

http://petsci.co.uk/feline-calorie-calculator/

I hear mice are an excellent source of protein for cats. As long as you worm them regularly the occasional mouse shouldn't do any harm.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did do a bit of math to come up with 1/3 cup twice a day but the never got the idea that they should eat it or Itwas going away and husband and kids seemedto feel dorry for them . Can keep them from snacking either[emoji]128580[/emoji]
The sooo fluffy tux Cat is Charlotte all 18 pound of her is offen sitting like a person on the couch[emoji]128516[/emoji] She will walk with us like a dog but getting her to follow home is more of a problem the call of the wild gets her.
Babycat is perhaps lost some already sinces the weather is nice. The name is because we couldn't agree (we had a three year old daughter at the time )on something else and he was very cat like not soft and kitten likeeven at for weeks the irritable bowel is from such a early weeming.
How Did you end up with 23 are they all permanent???

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did do a bit of math to come up with 1/3 cup twice a day but the never got the idea that they should eat it or Itwas going away and husband and kids seemedto feel dorry for them . Can keep them from snacking either[emoji]128580[/emoji]
The sooo fluffy tux Cat is Charlotte all 18 pound of her is offen sitting like a person on the couch[emoji]128516[/emoji] She will walk with us like a dog but getting her to follow home is more of a problem the call of the wild gets her.
Babycat is perhaps lost some already sinces the weather is nice. The name is because we couldn't agree (we had a three year old daughter at the time )on something else and he was very cat like not soft and kitten likeeven at for weeks the irritable bowel is from such a early weeming.
How Did you end up with 23 are they all permanent???
Charlotte is lovely. Such a big, cuddly looking girl. Have you thought about getting a harness for her to walk with you? 

Unfortunately it never gets hot enough for the cats to lose their appetite, but at least they get more exercise when the weather is good.

The 23 I have now are mainly from a colony I TNR'd when I first moved into this area. Local people had been feeding the cats for years, but never bothered getting any of them fixed so there were lots of semi-feral cats around. I'm a sucker for animals and some the cats looked sick or were getting killed on the road, so I decided I had to do something about it. I had over 30 at one point, but I got a lot of the kittens adopted. The remaining 23 are with me for as long as they need a home.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is really amazing that you could take that on! Are the locals happy about it, I live near a Farm museumand they have always had barn cat and let them breed ( authentic to the time period) and get alot of dumped litters. But now that they are being responsible cat owners and have had both the friendly and si ferals fixed visitors from other sreas of the province or the city complain!!! That there aren't any kittens .
Charlotte is lovely was a bit pushy when she came I never had a cat nip me when I stopped playing or was cooking? But her first owner never had cats before and her younge boys had really wanted a kitten ( from the farm ironically) and she had mice but as it turned out she wasn't happy living here so when she was moving I offered to take her and she has chilled out.