Littermates’ Mom

Siamese brothers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, our kittens are 13 weeks old, brothers, Pratt and Whitney. We have had cats before, Siamese, Persian and Himalayan. It’s been 6 years since our last cat passed. We are getting acclimated with having cats again. We have not had littermates before and it is a unique experience, lots of energy, playing, running, copying each other, etc. I am interested in learning more about the unique issues with sibling kittens.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on your first littermate kittens. :bouquet: They are adorable. :catlove:
Be sure to take lots of pics, as they'll grow up quickly. :camera:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only issue you will have is what you have with most young kittens, there will be one who wants to lead, and the other resists. Brothers is good, I have found that females don't want to buddy up as boys do, they tend to be bossy.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamese brothers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One is bigger than the other. There were 8 kittens in the litter. My only issue with them is the little one will suck on his brother when settling to sleep. I’ve been separating them when I see it happening, but I don’t always catch him in time. They also wake each other up and can’t be without seeing each other. They are very funny to watch playing and run around chasing each other. Litter mates are very different than two cats different in ages.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
9221ab70ef24aec94064cac998245088.gif
Siamese brothers mom, Pratt and Whitney, on behalf of The Catsite Community, a warm
3927543b9f9b7bb1bfb24669a09e2225.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Pratt and Whitney are such a cute pair of kitties :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ooh, they are just the cutest pair :heartshape:

Welcome to the site :)

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, our kittens are 13 weeks old, brothers, Pratt and Whitney. We have had cats before, Siamese, Persian and Himalayan. It’s been 6 years since our last cat passed. We are getting acclimated with having cats again. We have not had littermates before and it is a unique experience, lots of energy, playing, running, copying each other, etc. I am interested in learning more about the unique issues with sibling kittens.

Aww...we are in similar boats! My beloved Apolona of 21/22 years, crossed the 'rainbow bridge' in February. I am sorry abour the loss of yours.

I also have been a multiple cats house for a long time, but this is the first time I have had same age, bonded kittens (same age as yours). Their relationship is so different and adorable to watch. Mine are not related (unless dad traveled from one zip code to bordering zip code...hey anything is possilbe, lol). Athena Mariposa was found with her mom and litter mates. Prince Jasper was found alone, but was was placed with Athena's mom and littermates, so they bonded.

From what I read, their relationship will undergo some changes as they establish dominance, but their bond remains. I love how they are protective of each other. Athena Mariposa adores Prince Jasper and he loves her a lot!

What have you noticed so far?

Siamese brothers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for responding! Pratt is 4 pounds and Whitney is 3.5 pounds weight. Pratt was the largest male in the litter of 4 boys and 4 girls. When we went to see them and pick our 2 boys, Pratt was very playful and the leader with playing with toys. Whitney was very curious and active and we picked him because when I held him, he squinted his eyes at me. We picked Pratt because he was clearly healthy and happy.

Since we got them at 10 weeks old, they have gone through a transition. When we got them home they were both very shy and gradually got used to their new surroundings. Surprisingly, Whitney was the one to venture out first and Pratt followed. Over the last few weeks, we‘ve noticed that Whitney is the imply mischievous one and will play with anything he sees. Pratt is a bit more laid back. He watches Whitney and will follow. When they can’t see each other they will meow for each other. Pratt is definitely the alpha cat. When playing with the wand feather toys, Whitney will back off to let Pratt have first dibs and after Pratt gets tired, he will back off and let Whitney play. We noticed that Whitney has the behavior called “wool sucking” that Siamese cats can get. I am wondering if it is because there were 8 in the litter and Whitney is smaller (but not the runt). He will suck on his brother‘s tummy and private area. The vet said to separate them when we see this behavior and we have been doing this. It’s like he goes into a purring trance when going to sleep and closes his eyes and sniffs and feels around to suck. When separated, he immediately wants to go back like he’s obsessed. So he needs to be restrained and I allow him to fall asleep on me, or away elsewhere. So we are working on this. They bite at each other while playing and really like each other. Last night I noticed that Pratt was doing this behavior with me for the first time. So other than their energy running around the house full speed, it has been funny watching their antics!

Attachments

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pratt and Whitney sound adorable and they are so beautiful!!! Very interesting displays of 'alpha' behavior. I've never heard of the term 'wool sucking', but I am learning that a lot of kittens suck each other, regardless of breed. I've also been reading about all the ways people try to get them to stop. It seems to be a pretty difficult situation for some of the kittens being suckled on, like raw skin etc. Yikes!

Athena Mariposa is a very oral kitty in that she loves to 'nurse' Prince Jasper . She also likes to bite things. At first I let her suck on him because it really didn't seem to bother him at all. I figured he would let her know when enough was enough lol. He is the alpha so far. Athena prefers to let him investigate and 'see what happens' before she will follow what he is doing. She is brave in her own way though, but more cautious.

Back to that sucking though...I did move her away one nite, but she was determined. One night he was not having it as he wanted to establish his spot on my bed. Her feelings were hurt. She slept by herself for two or three nights. She tried to give it up....she really did... but after the third, she let him know that she just HAD to...lol...he didn't care. She just likes to self soothe this way and he knows it. He is very patient and sweet with her. Since it is not harming him in any way and she seemed to need it so much, I just let her. Now, she doesn't need it as much and can go longer in between. She is also more spazzy and needed more reassurance in her new surroundings.

I feel that trying to get them to stop, especially when they are still adjusting to so many changes...animal control officers to animal control center to shelter to bottle mom to foster mom and then to us... only exacerbates the problem. I think that method works for her as lately she is able to sleep on her own without doing that and when she does do it, it is just for a minute or two before she is asleep.

There is something called a catsifier that I am thinking to get for her as I think her personality will benefit from one.

I can't wait to see more pics of your babies and learn more about Siamese kitties!!

Siamese brothers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I should not be so worried about it. I’m a little concerned about when they get neutered, that it could be a problem with incisions. Last night I was very frustrated with them because they wouldn’t settle down. But finally I was able to get them out of our bedroom. They are very funny and will jump so high with the wand toys!
show me more pictures of yours. Oh, that third picture is a black faced sheep pillow. When they saw it they both immediately started pulling the fur off around the face. I think it might have reminded them of their mom. I had to put it away because they would have destroyed it.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe I should not be so worried about it. I’m a little concerned about when they get neutered, that it could be a problem with incisions.
Spaying is a bigger surgery that neutering, and since your 2 are both boys, they should heal very quickly, without any issues. Here's some TCS articles on spaying/neutering, though, that might be helpful:

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite