Litterbox/grooming Advice For Messy Long-haired Senior Cat

DatWormLife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18-year-old cat is long-haired with great big toe tufts. Unfortunately, the combined factors of his limited flexibility, tufty feet, and soft-ish poops (due to his k/d prescription diet), his feet are almost ALWAYS caked with litter and poop. He is very touchy about having his feet handled, which makes it hard for me to keep cleaning him up. He often tracks poop and litter all over the rugs and into my bed

I have been considering taking him to a groomer to inquire about having his tufts trimmed, which I'm sure he would hate but would probably be less stressful for him in the long run than having his feet washed daily. I was wondering if anybody could suggest a particular litter (maybe one aimed at long-haired cats?), mat, or box design that might help with sticking/tracking, as well as any other accommodations I could make to help him get debris off his feet after using the box. Keeping him off the bed is not an option, since it is the only place in the house he ever wants to be, and he needs to sleep next to someone at night or he becomes very depressed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I have a somewhat similar problem of my boy having litter stick to his feet.
I have found that littermaid's walnut litter doesn't stick, and I'm still testing but it looks like Dr elseys litter doesn't stick either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry for this long response.

My cat is older (14+), overweight, and has some arthritis as well. So, she doesn't clean as well as she used to, and now ALWAYS has litter debris on her one back foot (I think she may actually be peeing on it). She also tromps around in the area of the litter that she has just used (does not cover anything up) which makes it even worse. There is litter tracked everywhere.

I use Fresh Step Unscented and was hoping to try to reduce the tracking by adding Littermaid walnut litter (exclusive to Walmart, I believe), but it is actually worse than before. The walnut litter needs time to 'set up' for proper clumping before it can be scooped, so in my case Feeby isn't allowing that time to occur. I am now going back entirely to Fresh Step. There is some tracking, but not as bad as I have had it since I tried the Littermaid.

I am now doing daily 'booty duty' (cleaning her behind with hypoallergenic wipes), so that area stays cleaner. She actually likes that better than having her foot cleaned! Anyway, for me, after I have cleaned her booty, I use another wipe to clean her foot before she can run away. I know of no other way to handle it with her, as she is not fond of her paws being grabbed either. I just think if you do it, despite your cat's reluctance, he will eventually 'accept' (not like) it being done. And, the hypoallergenic wipes are not terribly wet so I think Feeby accepts that better than an actual washing.

I also use a big washable rug in front of the litter box, it does help some.

Hope I offered at least a little bit of insight - and I am sure other members will come along soon and offer more suggestions.

Last edited:

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry for this long response.

My cat is older (14+), overweight, and has some arthritis as well. So, she doesn't clean as well as she used to, and now ALWAYS has litter debris on her one back foot (I think she may actually be peeing on it). She also tromps around in the area of the litter that she has just used (does not cover anything up) which makes it even worse. There is litter tracked everywhere.

I use Fresh Step Unscented and was hoping to try to reduce the tracking by adding Littermaid walnut litter (exclusive to Walmart, I believe), but it is actually worse than before. The walnut litter needs time to 'set up' for proper clumping before it can be scooped, so in my case Feeby isn't allowing that time to occur. I am now going back entirely to Fresh Step. There is some tracking, but not as bad as I have had it since I tried the Littermaid.

I am now doing daily 'booty duty' (cleaning her behind with hypoallergenic wipes), so that area stays cleaner. She actually likes that better than having her foot cleaned! Anyway, for me, after I have cleaned her booty, I use another wipe to clean her foot before she can run away. I know of no other way to handle it with her, as she is not fond of her paws being grabbed either. I just think if you do it, despite your cat's reluctance, he will eventually 'accept' (not like) it being done. And, the hypoallergenic wipes are not terribly wet so I think Feeby accepts that better than an actual washing.

I also use a big washable rug in front of the litter box, it does help some.

Hope I offered at least a little bit of insight - and I am sure other members will come along soon and offer more suggestions.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i know it has been a while. but have u figured it out yet? my 18 yo arthritic cat is having the same issues. i did get her a walk in litter box for ease but i saw some on one of her lower limbs tonite. i use boxiepro. but i am willing to try anything to make life better for her. a few wks ago it was so bad i had to have it shaved off. my heart breaks for her.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 18-year-old cat is long-haired with great big toe tufts. Unfortunately, the combined factors of his limited flexibility, tufty feet, and soft-ish poops (due to his k/d prescription diet), his feet are almost ALWAYS caked with litter and poop. He is very touchy about having his feet handled, which makes it hard for me to keep cleaning him up. He often tracks poop and litter all over the rugs and into my bed

I have been considering taking him to a groomer to inquire about having his tufts trimmed, which I'm sure he would hate but would probably be less stressful for him in the long run than having his feet washed daily. I was wondering if anybody could suggest a particular litter (maybe one aimed at long-haired cats?), mat, or box design that might help with sticking/tracking, as well as any other accommodations I could make to help him get debris off his feet after using the box. Keeping him off the bed is not an option, since it is the only place in the house he ever wants to be, and he needs to sleep next to someone at night or he becomes very depressed.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am having the same prob with my 18 yo. after having to have her rear and partial tail shaved i have gotten her a walkin litter box. she does good with that . i use boxiepro. it is soft. we lowered her pred dosage and not her looseys r back. she has litter on one of her legs. i could cry for her! i have talked to a groomer and she said it is prob best to keep her hair trimmed in the back. and hope that is all. i am hoping i can find a litter that wont cling when wet? am i asking too much? the walk in has relieved some of her arthritis pain-she is walking around more. but i have to do better.i am looking for suggestions?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i know it has been a while. but have u figured it out yet? my 18 yo arthritic cat is having the same issues. i did get her a walk in litter box for ease but i saw some on one of her lower limbs tonite. i use boxiepro. but i am willing to try anything to make life better for her. a few wks ago it was so bad i had to have it shaved off. my heart breaks for her.
What has happened since I posted here is that I put Feeby on an arthritis supplement which helped immensely. She also lost a lot of weight due to hyperthyroidism which, while unfortunate, also did a lot for her mobility/agility. So, no more booty duty and no tracking of the litter on her back paw. Not the kind of resolution you were looking for, I am sure. Sorry.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well congratulations on your success! i am always thrilled to hear abt a cat prob solved! :yess:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
well congratulations on your success! i am always thrilled to hear abt a cat prob solved! :yess:
A double-edged sword success so to speak. If there is nothing else to glean from this - arthritis supplements and ensuring your girl is within a reasonable weight range. Over a couple of years, Feeby went from nearly 18 pounds and is now hovering just under 12.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my Placide has hovered around 11lbs for years. i am cautious of supplements for her. she has FGESF, missing a portion of her colon and on a very restrictive diet. i tried lasers,accupuncture and adequan. unsuccessfully for various reasons. i just want to help her. the new litter box has been good. she is walking around more. there is a new cat med approved in europe that i keep hoping will get fda approval here soon. it is for cats only and is NOT processed by liver or kidney. a gamechanger. SOLENSIA. i hope so. i just read that bigger particles of clay doesnt cling as much? i use Boxiepro and it is fine. i am going to switch. maybe a silica one. i am just nervous abt stressing her out with changes. she is 18 and super sensitive to everything. she does not like change and i dont like to upset her because she will start vomitng or get diarrhea. too mant vet visits for the adequan caused colitis. i had to rush her to the hospital because of the blood! bless her heart